A nice buff to Trapper?
What never made any sense to me is that all his traps unarmed, and he starts with so few at the start of the trial…
I propose a buff. All his traps are armed at the start of the trial.
Then rework all of his add ons again. The new odd ons determine where his traps are randomized across the map.
Add ons on make more traps spawn around the main building, killer shack, exit gates, or hooks. Closest/Farthest from trapper. Closer/Farther from obsession, etc.
Comments
I don't know about that... Not only can you not tell which traps are in a good spot, but you also don't know which are the ones you did not place to begin with... Seems less like a buff and more like an annoyance... I'd rather have so he either spawns with all of them, or he can grab them out of lockers, so he does not need to go to the end of the world to pick up traps anymore.
I think having traps in the trial map for him to pick up is fine, but I'd be very much on board for him starting with 4 traps or so in his hands at the start of the trial, just to get going quickly. I often suggest Trapper Bag as a preferable buff over the much requested Trapper Sack for this very reason.
Even if this starter bonus doesn't change his carry cap, and is a literal early game quick start that once he puts them down he can't back up to that number again, that would be great.
I also like the idea of a hard skill check when disarming his traps, where failure causes the survivor to be wounded like Bloody Coil (Bloody Coil itself just simply always injures regardless and applies deep wound in the event of a failure/already injured).
Having to pick up traps from the map just wastes so much time... And some are on the other side of the map and you know from the beginning that you won't go there for the entire match... And there is just no reason to limit Trapper like that, he is already around the weakest killers of the game.
People act like him just starting with his traps would be too strong but that's the wrong way to look at it. Would him starting with his traps make him as strong as blight? Spirit? Huntress? Even clown or doctor? Probably not. So just let it happen.
Well I have seen other suggestions to reduce that problem.
The one I have always liked is Otz's suggestion to allow Trapper to grab a trap off out of a locker on a 30-45s cooldown or so and the furthest open trap (then furthest trap if none available) in the map will demanifest.
I play Trapper a fair bit, and the playstyle I like on him is setting up traps in quirky places throughout the map as I move towards traps in the map on my route towards gens. The Trapper bag makes this pretty nice, as you can get a decent web of traps up pretty quickly without spending too much time setting up. The ability to reposition them means they don't have to be too precise, you can trap and go, and as long as you aren't too predictable you can catch a lot of even experienced players off guard woth a long forgotten trap you placed ages ago.
I drastically prefer this over the Trapper sack, where the placement of traps is far more important to ensure value, as they can't be moved, you can't afford to throw out quirky traps, and instead need consistent value. So instead of being fast paced and trying to build a confusing and surprising web, the focus is instead completely locking down 1 area and suffocating survivors in that area and that area only.
I've always maintained that if you give him all of his traps at the start, it naturally pushes him to always just trap the holy hell out of one area and defend it... and even if you don't want to play this way, your natural inclination is to do so... and that is boring.
I'm all for Trapper buffs... but Trapper sack basekit is so unimaginative and encourages such a boring playstyle, I just don't like it.
EDIT: Course you mentioned the locker suggestion yourself, that is fine too... but all traps at the start is the one I'm really not a fan of, and I rather like having a reason to venture out from just trying to 3 gen every game.
Yeah I also saw Otz complain about the idea of all traps at the start, there is a clip of him in Lerys where he shuts down the entire exit gate area and there survivor just could not get out...
I see you are a fellow man of culture 😅
Yeah that clip was nutty. I don't always go with everything Otz says, but his takes are usually very good, and the man's experience on Trapper is among the best.
Trapper needs more consistency and time efficiency. Start him with all his traps and increase the hit box detection on them since many times they can squeeze around them when it should be blocking a path. There also needs to be some punishment for getting caught in a trap while injured if you free yourself. Honestly rescuing yourself if you get trapped while already injured should down you. The traps self rearming at a slow rate should also be a thing to improve his efficiency.
Now in exchange for all this I think they should add a minimum distance between each trap to prevent the piling of them all on top of the basement or hook type play so that he is forced to spread them out a little more.
His traps should punish more tbh.
I also propose survivors become afflicted with incapacitated and hindered for X seconds when they free themselves.
If anyone’s leg got caught in a trap you wouldn’t be able to do anything right away. Survivors running at top speed doesn’t seem right either.
I’m down for your premise, I just don’t like incapacitated as an effect since they can’t do anything. I’d be down for like a repair debuff or something.