Is it just me, or is Chucky now a hotbed for the most toxic/blatantly immature Killer players?

About less than a week ago (♪week ago♪), I was playing as Meg on a Badham map. In the second floor of its main house, there's an empty closet opposite the Gen. While hiding, Chucky sniffed me out trying to ninja the generator and slugged me there. Understandable— I play just as much Killer and get just as upset at sneaky survivor rats poking my gens before sprint bursting away.

What I DON'T understand is why he came back into the closet and, instead of picking up and hooking Meg, proceeded to roleplay "taking advantage of her." I dunno what words BHVR's decided to filter, but just think of the grossest thing and go with that. Backpedaling and holding forward repeatedly. Needless to say, I didn't do much afterwards besides quit DbD for the day.

Fast forward to today. I'm playing Yoichi on Midwich against another Chuck. After a grueling 11 minute game, it's finally down to a Quentin and I to try and wrap up 2 gens. I did my damnedest up until Chuck slugged Quentin CLEAR across the map and left him to look for me, just so I couldn't Hatch out of the match.

I mention Yoichi because I'm using Empathic Connection, so Quentin can see me across the map since he's injured. I also recognize what Chucky is trying to do here, fight the urge to quit and do my best to have fun with it. I hide in basement, emote to Quentin to crawl to me while Chuck wastes time searching and I pick him back up so we can have another go at it.

No luck. Chuck finds Quentin again while I'm on a gen, slugs him while I'm clear across the map a second time and proceeds to deny Quentin his right to leave the game with his well-earned BP. At this point I simply throw up my hands, sprint to the center of Midwich's courtyard and force notifications until he finds me.

His response after I call him out on "forcing a 4k" instead of "earning" it post-game? Something to the effect of "I got a 4k tho." At the same time, I was being lambasted by a Cheryl for "jerking around" instead of "playing the game."

I took a couple of breaks from the game after Nemesis and RPD were released. Best thing that ever happened in a multiplayer game I enjoy. Now? I'm wondering if licensed characters/killers are even worth the baggage they bring.

Bonus round: Which Killers attracted the most toxic individuals before Chuck? In hindsight, I find this psychological phenomena fascinating. It makes me wonder what types of people watched Child's Play growing up.

EDIT: I apologize if this should've been labeled discussion instead of question. These events incited my first time using the forums.

Comments

  • @Guroneko said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3692318#Comment_3692318

    I'll meet you in the middle here and admit that I'm mostly just venting about some strange fellow pretending to ######### my character in an online videogame. I will have to disagree about that being even remotely close to your average excited survivor teabagging their opponent from a safe distance, though. One of these is a knee-jerk/emotional taunt. The other is premeditated.

    I'm also pretty sure most players would also much rather get teabagged at by survivors every other game than have their respective killer start erotic roleplaying in the middle of an intense game.

    As for your latter point, I respect your chosen definition of "Toxic" and, once again, agree that 4slugging is effective, valid and very much not toxic. It's a concept/action, not an organic being. It isn't capable of being toxic on its own, only being utilized by a toxic person. These players themselves, however, are what I'm referring to as toxic and, frankly, are far more interesting than their childish response to losing a competition. They are who I intended to discuss, as well as why they flock to certain killer characters.

    I think edgarpoop's initial post about choosing killers that balance overwhelming power with ease of use was apt and well-said. I'm guilty of being attracted to them as well, hence my fascination with "mastering" Skully—

    However I'm also well aware that 9/10 times, I'm playing the game against other grownups with things to do once we're done scooby-dooing after each other in circles for 5-12 minutes. I don't want to actively keep them away from their lives and/or their earned BP/XP/Iri Shards. It's not too much to expect the same attitude from your average Chucky player, is it?

    Edit/Addendum: To clarify, as if the vulgarity of the act wasn't ridiculous enough, I'd probably also classify slugging and ERPing with an incapacitated survivor in a closet instead of immediately hooking them and playing like "normal" while there's 3 other survivors still playing the game unawares of what's happening, as a waste of both the Killer and Survivor's time.

    Your rationale here is very flawed.

    The tactic of slugging for the 4K isn't toxic but people who use that tactic are? Can you you see the disjointed nature of that concept. Its not toxic on its own, its only being used by a toxic person.

    What qualifies the person of being toxic? If the only measure of toxicity you have is that they slugged for the 4k, which by your own admission is not a toxic act?

    Are you simply blanket assuming a player who slugs for the 4k is in some way purely motivated by spite and out to maliciously ruin the fun for others? Because going around assuming your opponent exists purely to ruin your fun is one way to get really pissed off at the game and you do it to yourself by thinking that way.

    Other grownups? If defining yourself as "grown up" then it behooves one to point out that you have displayed here a very childish way to approach the game, with some fine examples of childishness. i.e.

    • Letting your frustration make you consider quitting early and then acting on that impulse as notification spamming out of frustration.
    • Defining players as childish for how they respond to loss while at the same time responding to loss in just a childish a manner.
    • The preconception that one type of tea bagging must be premeditated but another is simply a knee jerk response to the game and ok, on no basis other than how you personally feel about each one.

    I'm afraid its not some considerate or benevolent act to allow people to get back to their lives, as most adults should know what to potentially expect from a game of DBD and be capable of planning their time accordingly. That's called being responsible. Having the expectation that other players will take on that responsibility for you and attenuate their gameplay to fit that need is indeed a bit much.

  • @Guroneko said:

    About less than a week ago (♪week ago♪), I was playing as Meg on a Badham map. In the second floor of its main house, there's an empty closet opposite the Gen. While hiding, Chucky sniffed me out trying to ninja the generator and slugged me there. Understandable— I play just as much Killer and get just as upset at sneaky survivor rats poking my gens before sprint bursting away.

    What I DON'T understand is why he came back into the closet and, instead of picking up and hooking Meg, proceeded to roleplay "taking advantage of her." I dunno what words BHVR's decided to filter, but just think of the grossest thing and go with that. Backpedaling and holding forward repeatedly. Needless to say, I didn't do much afterwards besides quit DbD for the day.

    Fast forward to today. I'm playing Yoichi on Midwich against another Chuck. After a grueling 11 minute game, it's finally down to a Quentin and I to try and wrap up 2 gens. I did my damnedest up until Chuck slugged Quentin CLEAR across the map and left him to look for me, just so I couldn't Hatch out of the match.

    I mention Yoichi because I'm using Empathic Connection, so Quentin can see me across the map since he's injured. I also recognize what Chucky is trying to do here, fight the urge to quit and do my best to have fun with it. I hide in basement, emote to Quentin to crawl to me while Chuck wastes time searching and I pick him back up so we can have another go at it.

    No luck. Chuck finds Quentin again while I'm on a gen, slugs him while I'm clear across the map a second time and proceeds to deny Quentin his right to leave the game with his well-earned BP. At this point I simply throw up my hands, sprint to the center of Midwich's courtyard and force notifications until he finds me.

    His response after I call him out on "forcing a 4k" instead of "earning" it post-game? Something to the effect of "I got a 4k tho." At the same time, I was being lambasted by a Cheryl for "jerking around" instead of "playing the game."

    I took a couple of breaks from the game after Nemesis and RPD were released. Best thing that ever happened in a multiplayer game I enjoy. Now? I'm wondering if licensed characters/killers are even worth the baggage they bring.

    Bonus round: Which Killers attracted the most toxic individuals before Chuck? In hindsight, I find this psychological phenomena fascinating. It makes me wonder what types of people watched Child's Play growing up.

    EDIT: I apologize if this should've been labeled discussion instead of question. These events incited my first time using the forums.

    You mention that you wanted to DC the second the Killer slugged someone, gave up when things didn't go the way you wanted them to, and then you tried to force a confrontation on the post game chat. Hate to break it to you, but YOU are the toxic one

  • @Guroneko said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3692316#Comment_3692316

    tl;dr: I agree to an extent because nothing involving social contracts is ever simply binary/black & white.

    You're right! I 4slug too (on Skully, my "main" and a very unpopular pick with Survivor enthusiasts) against aggressively altruistic/rescue-centric players. It's very potent when applied correctly/efficiently. In this case however, when applied (by what looked to be an amateurish and/or overly emotional killer player) against the 2 remaining survivors while the other 2 have already been dead for over two minutes (and spectating the game to drop their two cents in post-game chat), said player is treading "overkill" territory.

    Imo, the toxic one is the killer >player< for (potentially) believing it's perfectly fine for them to waste 4 minutes of a solo queue player's time to simply deny me the hatch while Quentin could've already been enjoying another more entertaining Trial.

    Chances are, his next killer is also a bit more aware of the implied responsibility/social agreement to not hold (the last) 2 players hostage just because said killer would rather secure 4 kills instead of walking to Quentin, pressing Space, holding W until they reach a hook and pressing Space again to (potentially, based upon their own skill and Hatch spawn luck) settle for a 3k.

    Slugging for the 4k is fine, 4 man slug with bleed out instead of hooks is where most of my hate for skully, twins and oni comes from. because i've had very little variation in their playstyles when i go against them.

  • @Guroneko said:

    About less than a week ago (♪week ago♪), I was playing as Meg on a Badham map. In the second floor of its main house, there's an empty closet opposite the Gen. While hiding, Chucky sniffed me out trying to ninja the generator and slugged me there. Understandable— I play just as much Killer and get just as upset at sneaky survivor rats poking my gens before sprint bursting away.

    What I DON'T understand is why he came back into the closet and, instead of picking up and hooking Meg, proceeded to roleplay "taking advantage of her." I dunno what words BHVR's decided to filter, but just think of the grossest thing and go with that. Backpedaling and holding forward repeatedly. Needless to say, I didn't do much afterwards besides quit DbD for the day.

    Fast forward to today. I'm playing Yoichi on Midwich against another Chuck. After a grueling 11 minute game, it's finally down to a Quentin and I to try and wrap up 2 gens. I did my damnedest up until Chuck slugged Quentin CLEAR across the map and left him to look for me, just so I couldn't Hatch out of the match.

    I mention Yoichi because I'm using Empathic Connection, so Quentin can see me across the map since he's injured. I also recognize what Chucky is trying to do here, fight the urge to quit and do my best to have fun with it. I hide in basement, emote to Quentin to crawl to me while Chuck wastes time searching and I pick him back up so we can have another go at it.

    No luck. Chuck finds Quentin again while I'm on a gen, slugs him while I'm clear across the map a second time and proceeds to deny Quentin his right to leave the game with his well-earned BP. At this point I simply throw up my hands, sprint to the center of Midwich's courtyard and force notifications until he finds me.

    His response after I call him out on "forcing a 4k" instead of "earning" it post-game? Something to the effect of "I got a 4k tho." At the same time, I was being lambasted by a Cheryl for "jerking around" instead of "playing the game."

    I took a couple of breaks from the game after Nemesis and RPD were released. Best thing that ever happened in a multiplayer game I enjoy. Now? I'm wondering if licensed characters/killers are even worth the baggage they bring.

    Bonus round: Which Killers attracted the most toxic individuals before Chuck? In hindsight, I find this psychological phenomena fascinating. It makes me wonder what types of people watched Child's Play growing up.

    EDIT: I apologize if this should've been labeled discussion instead of question. These events incited my first time using the forums.

    I don't think it has anything to do with immaturity or anything like that. It's more to do with Chucky's voice, and it's great. Nice and evil and venomous, and it's just fun to play with him.

  • @Nazzzak said:

    You mean humping on the ground? I get that mostly from Skull Merchants. But Chucky is definitely second on the list

    Lol Chucky is #2, Bubba is #1 and I've never had a Skull Merchant do that to me. My experience alone of course.

  • @CountOfTheFog said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3692310#Comment_3692310

    Lol Chucky is #2, Bubba is #1 and I've never had a Skull Merchant do that to me. My experience alone of course.

    I've barely seen any toxic Bubbas ever since the AFC measures. He used to be the undisputed king of toxic killers, the mascot of people who played DBD to troll, probably followed by Skull Merchant and Wraith, but I think he's lost his crown.

    I imagine Chucky appeals to toxic players because he relentlessly trash talks whoever's in front of him in lieu of voice chat letting people do that themselves.

1 2 ›