how toxic is dbd and its player base in your experience?

i am doing a documentary for my class on toxicity in gaming communities and was looking to collect data for dbd! you can explain more in the comments if needed

if you're interested in helping me with a more detailed response, here is a google form :) thanks so much

https://forms.gle/sitRmqJEBjBxrGqo6

in-game: end game chat, bm, disconnecting, steam-profile comments, etc.

community: twitter, reddit, forums, twitch, etc.

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I don't see too much toxicity outside the game (I know its there) but not much in my experience. Copy and paste this link below for a very detailed outlook on your topic. It was written 7 years ago but I think it still holds up even to this day.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/60j6se/hi_im_a_dead_by_daylight_player_and_psychologist/

    oh wow this is so helpful thank you sm friend :)

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I don't see too much toxicity outside the game (I know its there) but not much in my experience. Copy and paste this link below for a very detailed outlook on your topic. It was written 7 years ago but I think it still holds up even to this day.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/60j6se/hi_im_a_dead_by_daylight_player_and_psychologist/

    Wait, what? humiliated by twerking? ๐Ÿ˜„

    The emotional injury ALWAYS ramps up in post-game end chat, and at the
    gate, where killers are ritualistically humiliated by
    twerking/circling/various taunts.

  • Compared to other games it really isn't toxic. It is just that certain behaviors are considered toxic, that only work because of the asymmetrical state of the game. I have seen toxicity in Dota 2 or Counter Strike and they are on a completely different level. It often seems that people see everything as toxic in this game...

  • @Hexonthebeach said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3688051#Comment_3688051

    Wait, what? humiliated by twerking? ๐Ÿ˜„

    The emotional injury ALWAYS ramps up in post-game end chat, and at the
    gate, where killers are ritualistically humiliated by
    twerking/circling/various taunts.

    HAHA YES its so bizarre

  • @Archol123 said:

    Compared to other games it really isn't toxic. It is just that certain behaviors are considered toxic, that only work because of the asymmetrical state of the game. I have seen toxicity in Dota 2 or Counter Strike and they are on a completely different level. It often seems that people see everything as toxic in this game...

    thank you for this insight :) the game being asymmetrical plays into it, but it is interesting how divisive the topic is in the community

  • In the grand scheme of things I don't think DBD is toxic at all. The community is entitled, obnoxious and cries a lot but most of what I would call actual toxicity is very rare.

  • @Yharwick said:

    In the grand scheme of things I don't think DBD is toxic at all. The community is entitled, obnoxious and cries a lot but most of what I would call actual toxicity is very rare.

    yes i've heard a lot of people say exactly this! entitlement is a word that shows up often

  • I may be reading this wrong, but the question amd subsequent answers don't appear to correlate well.

    The question is of "How toxic" DBD is, yet the answers aren't focused on this, but moreso they answers you'd expect for "Where have you experienced toxicity".

    Perhaps it's best to give answers to the question of "How toxic" such as : A lot, often, sometimes, rarely, never. It would give a more realistic answer to your question.

  • @sims2machinima said:

    i am doing a documentary for my class on toxicity in gaming communities and was looking to collect data for dbd! you can explain more in the comments if needed

    if you're interested in helping me with a more detailed response, here is a google form :) thanks so much

    https://forms.gle/sitRmqJEBjBxrGqo6

    in-game: end game chat, bm, disconnecting, steam-profile comments, etc.

    community: twitter, reddit, forums, twitch, etc.

    Well there are some people that are very rude in comments and endgame-chats. Often from russians, what doesn't mean that I think they are toxic in general. I just think some of them think they can be toxic because I can't read it (google lense is very helpful tho).

    I awsered the google form: So I wish you good luck with your project :D

  • I think compared to like white hats in Red Dead online, DBD is not at all toxic like that. People complain alot but it's because they're passionate about the game and everyone believes that they have ideas on how to make it the best experience. (I'm not excluded in this myself). But I think at the end of the day everybody understands we're all just gamers tryna to play a game.

  • @KatsuhxP said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/409574/how-toxic-is-dbd-and-its-player-base-in-your-experience

    Well there are some people that are very rude in comments and endgame-chats. Often from russians, what doesn't mean that I think they are toxic in general. I just think some of them think they can be toxic because I can't read it (google lense is very helpful tho).

    I awsered the google form: So I wish you good luck with your project :D

    thank you friend, i appreciate this so much ๐Ÿ˜Š

  • I think this community like others has a problem with unnecessary rudeness. This community could be better at rewarding non toxic behavior.