Just me or does new gen regression feel like a hard nerf to survivor?

Maybe I misread the intention behind the mechanic?

Comments

  • @tjt85 said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/0YL3B9VZGT18/2024020223303100-a8f689a4f1f4b13d795abcbd615ffd9a.jpg

    I experienced the new anti 3 gen feature in action yesterday (a Legion match on RPD). The Legion are a great killer to test this feature out because forcing Survivors to be near to each other by holding a 3 gen and winning the battle of attrition is really the only thing they excel at (they have several add-ons to help with this: Filthy Blade, Fuming Mixtape and Frank's Mixtape). They are a very weak Killer, otherwise.

    RPD is (or at least used to be) a very good map for Legion. It's relatively small and often spawns close together and easy to defend gens. In this match, I got two in the main hall and a couple in nearby rooms.

    This was a close game against a flashlight squad that could have gone either way. They played exactly as you might have expected, making far too many flashlight/sabo/body blocking attempts and it cost them the win. I think I would have lost against a more gen focused team. They had 2 gens almost ready to pop and as you can see from this image, I had already burned through all my regression events on this gen (luckily I had secured my first kill just in time):

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/7UB2AX3Q0ZA5/2024020223224800-a8f689a4f1f4b13d795abcbd615ffd9a.jpg

    Here's what I've learned so far:

    • The 3 genning strat has definitely been nerfed. But it's still possible to defend a 3 gen even if you can't regress a gen anymore.
    • It feels more important than ever to secure an early kill, now that I Know I won't be able to fallback on defending a 3 gen situation.
    • Surge has been nerfed with this update. Hitting multiple gens in a small area is what it does best, but maybe not so much now. It was scary how quickly it burned through all my regression events on a gen. I'll probably keep using it, but I think plenty of other Killers will opt more for passive slowdown or gen blocking now.
    • It has impacted "normal" Killer game play for me. This time I won, but I might have to rethink my strategy if I start losing games. Overall, I'd say it's a nerf to Killer (with gen tapping gone and extra regression as a fair compensation).

    I had a match on RPD with pyramid head running surge, brutal, eruption and nowhere to hide. I burned through regression events so fast and I was not guarding any of the gens. By the time they had two gens left, I had three gens blocked from any further regression events. Surge definitely took a hit with the new anti 3 gen, especially on multilevel maps.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3642114#Comment_3642114

    @tjt85 asserts that 3-genning is the natural way to play Legion to the best of that killer's ability. I don't play much legion, but I can reason out why that is the case.

    If a Killer who already struggles is having their most effective gameplay strategy removed, it is worth bringing to the attention of the developers.

    I'm not necessarily here to argue good or bad against the changes. I'm observing what I believe to be an unintended nerf to survivors, but it is interesting to see which killers this specifically makes more difficult to play.

    For the record, I do think it will still be possible to hold a 3 gen with Legion (and most other Killers if they chose to). Players will adapt. But it might require different perks and add-ons to do so more effectively (things like Hex: Ruin, Fuming Mix tape, Filthy Blade, Thantaphobia and gen blocking could become better options). But I tend to avoid these perks and add-ons because I find them to be tedious to go against in my Survivor games. Ironically, with these in play it might end up making 3 gen games even longer. Surge definitely doesn't feel like such a good choice for Legion anymore, though. It still won me the game in this case, but now has the potential to backfire on the Killer.

    I do think Legion is a more versatile Killer than a lot of players give them credit. I could go for a full end game build instead and still do quite well. I'm more worried about the weaker area defense Killers (like poor old Trapper), because defending a cluster of gens with his set up is all he really has going for him. It's only because BHVR created 3 really strong area defense Killers that this has become a problem.

    The main issue for me is that the solution should be there to deal with the most egregious examples of the 3 gen strategy. If I can get a kill before the Survivors break the 3 gen, then I know I'm free to commit to more chases, because a few more Kills will probably follow. I get bored and I don't want the game to last forever either. I do patrol a portion of the map (4-5 gens usually) but I don't "3 gen" from the start unless the Survivors are really interested in breaking it early. At present, I feel like the system has the potential to unfairly punish a Killer for patrolling a cluster of gens simply because they chose the "wrong" perks, especially so on the smaller maps. As Ghouled_Mojo points out, it's even punishing Killers that aren't defending a 3 gen.

    I don't think the system should be rewarding Survivors for finishing gens without any consideration for a potential end game 3 gen. At the moment, it kind of does because the regression penalty begins to apply on all gens from the very start of the match. I understand why it was implemented this way, because if a Killer chooses to defend 3 gens from the very start, there has to be a way to punish them for it.

    Hopefully BHVR will take some feedback onboard and make adjustments to the system.

  • @MrDrMedicman said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3642832#Comment_3642832

    The forums are a small minority of players. The issue is 9/10 survivors not coordinating which gens to do

    Agree

  • @Pluto_1 said:

    We can kick a gen only 8 times now and you're still in here complaining about removing tapping. Tell me, what will make you happy?

    You say that as if you are kicking gens 8 times before it’s complete lol. By the time you have to kick an individual gen that many times either everyone will already be dead or your 3 gen should be broken. In short, it’s not common to get 8 regression events on one gen.

  • @Pluto_1 said:

    We can kick a gen only 8 times now and you're still in here complaining about removing tapping. Tell me, what will make you happy?

    Not putting words in my mouth would be a start.

    I don't recall mentioning anything about gen tapping. You in the wrong thread?

  • Kill rates in the week before the update dropped:

    image.png

    Kill rates in the week after the update dropped:

    image.png

    Keep in mind those numbers will also be affected by the Billy buffs, but take from this what you will.

1 2 ›