The need for access to the old maps is rising

There have been some discussions recently regarding the horror aspect (or lack of one) in Dead by Daylight. And whenever one of those discussions pops up, the maps are also mentioned.

And for good reason! The maps are the very heart of the horror atmosphere. And when that heart stops beating well... we look at you, reworked Coldwind Farm.

With the Realm Beyond close to claiming its final victim, I believe it is time we discuss the possibility of the old maps coming back to the game. And I'll make something very clear for those of you who enjoy the map reworks:

I am not asking for them to be removed.

Remember that I lost my favorite killer. I am heavily against taking away the things people cherish.

But I don't think the situation is okay for players like me, who loved those old maps. Or perhaps new players who wished they could play on those maps. Right now you click on an Old DBD video, you immediately feel saudade (translated from Portuguese, "saudade" refers to an emotional state of melancholic or profoundly nostalgic longing for a beloved yet absent something or someone), but when you go play DBD your favorite map isn't there anymore.

And I want to change that.

There are many ways to bring the old maps back, some easier than others. I haven't thought of a definitive solution yet, but I did think of some options: perhaps BHVR can add a "classic mode", since we've recently saw their ideas for alternate game modes. It could go as far as to add old powers / perks and add-ons, but that is just a suggestion.

Or perhaps a "classic pack". We know for a fact the game supports people playing on the same map with different lighting, as modders literally did that. They could add the option for us to choose between old and new maps, just making it clear you might put yourself in a disadvantage by doing so. I certainly wouldn't mind.

As long as we don't take away anything that people enjoy, I see no harm in giving us the game we loved back.

We just need to find a way of doing so.

Comments

  • If you watch August 2020 videos and any other videos from previous months and years, it's insane to see how Dead By Daylight had changed so much after August 2020, with new movement, new reworks for maps and in game models. I see why they did it, but the older stuff looked so much cooler, and fitted the games point.

  • @xCakeStick said:

    If you watch August 2020 videos and any other videos from previous months and years, it's insane to see how Dead By Daylight had changed so much after August 2020, with new movement, new reworks for maps and in game models. I see why they did it, but the older stuff looked so much cooler, and fitted the games point.

     but the older stuff looked so much cooler, and fitted the games point.

    Indeed!

    I understand some people like the changes, but I desperately want my favorite game back.

    There has to be a way to do it without hurting anyone's experience.

  • @GeneralV said:

    There have been some discussions recently regarding the horror aspect (or lack of one) in Dead by Daylight. And whenever one of those discussions pops up, the maps are also mentioned.

    And for good reason! The maps are the very heart of the horror atmosphere. And when that heart stops beating well... we look at you, reworked Coldwind Farm.

    With the Realm Beyond close to claiming its final victim, I believe it is time we discuss the possibility of the old maps coming back to the game. And I'll make something very clear for those of you who enjoy the map reworks:

    I am not asking for them to be removed.

    Remember that I lost my favorite killer. I am heavily against taking away the things people cherish.

    But I don't think the situation is okay for players like me, who loved those old maps. Or perhaps new players who wished they could play on those maps. Right now you click on an Old DBD video, you immediately feel saudade (translated from Portuguese, "saudade" refers to an emotional state of melancholic or profoundly nostalgic longing for a beloved yet absent something or someone), but when you go play DBD your favorite map isn't there anymore.

    And I want to change that.

    There are many ways to bring the old maps back, some easier than others. I haven't thought of a definitive solution yet, but I did think of some options: perhaps BHVR can add a "classic mode", since we've recently saw their ideas for alternate game modes. It could go as far as to add old powers / perks and add-ons, but that is just a suggestion.

    Or perhaps a "classic pack". We know for a fact the game supports people playing on the same map with different lighting, as modders literally did that. They could add the option for us to choose between old and new maps, just making it clear you might put yourself in a disadvantage by doing so. I certainly wouldn't mind.

    Or just say "screw it" and add them into the regular rotation. That also works, I suppose.

    As long as we don't take away anything that people enjoy, I see no harm in giving us the game we loved back.

    We just need to find a way of doing so.

    I never ever want to play on one of the older maps, with their garbage looking color filters, where the entire maps are literally one super saturated color. If older maps get added back to the game, they should be custom mode only, so that it never affects me.


    @GeneralV said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3618561#Comment_3618561

    There is food for thought here, but it is best suited for another post.

    The idea here wasn't to discuss horror and its variations, but to collectively come up with an idea to bring the old maps back without hurting anyone else's experience.

    I just don't like reworked Coldwind Farm, I don't think it fits within what I think DBD should be. This is an opinion, but so is every take here on the Forums.

    And that's the main problem. Unless the older maps are a completely optional thing, that doesn't affect the main game mode at all, it would absolutely hurt my playing experience.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/401340/the-need-for-access-to-the-old-maps-is-rising

    I never ever want to play on one of the older maps, with their garbage looking color filters, where the entire maps are literally one super saturated color. If older maps get added back to the game, they should be custom mode only, so that it never affects me.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3618567#Comment_3618567

    And that's the main problem. Unless the older maps are a completely optional thing, that doesn't affect the main game mode at all, it would absolutely hurt my playing experience.

    Please read the full post before commenting.

    Two of three suggestions involve a choice, you wouldn't see anything you don't want to.

  • @jajay119 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3618525#Comment_3618525

    With all due respect, even the TCM game has night time variations of the maps and still deliver of the feel of trying to tie in with the movie.

    Whilst the maps are now evocative of TCM and Billy clearly being 'their' Leatherface at the time, it was inititially included as a night time map so I don't think this reasoning is entirely credible. Yes they could keep a daytime variant to tie in more with the official Leatherface and TCM vibe, but I still would prefer nighttime variants of this and Ormond to exist. It's even more annoying that there's a nighttime variant in the Chucky announcement and not one in game.

    Ultimately, the game is called Dead by Daylight. It makes it a bit antithetical to the entire premise to have daytime maps..

    Personally if like to see all maps start off as night time maps and gradually get lighter as matches go on to reach an end point , but they'd have to put a timer on trials for that which theyd never do.

    The premise has nothing to do with the title itself, it's nothing more than just a saying and not an actual literal meaning.

    Same way that Dead by Dawn is just a saying and not an actual literal meaning.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3619902#Comment_3619902

    Please read the full post before commenting.

    Two of three suggestions involve a choice, you wouldn't see anything you don't want to.

    Three out of three suggestions should involve a choice. The fact that you're even considering that other people should be forced to suffer through the old maps, makes this whole thing a terrible idea that should never happen.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3619906#Comment_3619906

    Three out of three suggestions should involve a choice. The fact that you're even considering that other people should be forced to suffer through the old maps, makes this whole thing a terrible idea that should never happen.

    Do you really think BHVR will look at this post, accept the suggestions, then pick the only one which doesn't involve a choice?

    I am a not a developer, mate. I don't have power to make changes to this game. And even if I did I made it clear on the post that I have no intention of hurting someone else's experience.

    If you have a problem with that suggestion and that suggestion only, fair enough. But don't act like it is all I've said here. A better option can be picked.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3619932#Comment_3619932

    Do you really think BHVR will look at this post, accept the suggestions, then pick the only one which doesn't involve a choice?

    I am a not a developer, mate. I don't have power to make changes to this game. And even if I did I made it clear on the post that I have no intention of hurting someone else's experience.

    If you have a problem with that suggestion and that suggestion only, fair enough. But don't act like it is all I've said here. A better option can be picked.

    If you had no intentions of hurting someone else's experience, then you wouldn't have made a suggestion that's non-optional, and would have FORCED other people to suffer through those old maps.

    It doesn't matter if you gave other suggestions. The fact that you honestly think it's a good suggestion to FORCE people to play old maps, proves that you would be fine if player experiences are ruined.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620026#Comment_3620026

    If you had no intentions of hurting someone else's experience, then you wouldn't have made a suggestion that's non-optional, and would have FORCED other people to suffer through those old maps.

    It doesn't matter if you gave other suggestions. The fact that you honestly think it's a good suggestion to FORCE people to play old maps, proves that you would be fine if player experiences are ruined.

    If it bothers you that match, I just took it out from the post.

    There, now two of two suggestions involve a choice.

    Problem solved.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3620026#Comment_3620026

    If you had no intentions of hurting someone else's experience, then you wouldn't have made a suggestion that's non-optional, and would have FORCED other people to suffer through those old maps.

    It doesn't matter if you gave other suggestions. The fact that you honestly think it's a good suggestion to FORCE people to play old maps, proves that you would be fine if player experiences are ruined.

    The rework maps are a lot worse. The only thing they do is favoring killers. I hate most reworks, they are just shrinking maps and making killers not needing any skill for anything.

    Before you say anything about survivor main; I play both roles equally.

    I‘m not against marking the old maps fairer, I only dislike that maps get made brainlessly easy + the shrinking and moving everything around.

    Why is it fair that my experience gets hurt by all the reworks!

1 2 ›