Game design 101: Why Behaviour is top of the class

Allow me to explain the situation here.
Meg is the last person alive. The hatch has spawned. Meg has Decisive Strike. Meg has crawled to a space away from any nearby hooks.
The killer (in this case the Spirit) does not have Enduring equipped, and therefore can not pick Meg up risk-free.
So what we have is a stalemate. The killer does not wish to be stunned and risk the survivor running to the hatch. The survivor decides to crawl to a location where they can't be hooked, so they can either force the d-strike or bleed out on the ground out of some misplaced sense of pride.
So both players sit there for over a minute waiting for the inevitable bleed out.
When people look back on games like Ocarina of Time, Half-Life, Starcraft etc and admire the timeless design, I am confident that Dead by Daylight will be held in the same regard as those games. Simply fantastic design here.
Comments
Oh god, more crying over maybe not getting the 4th kill.
A stalemate;
"a situation in which further action or progress by opposing or competing parties seems impossible."
You could have easily picked them up, lets not pretend this is a stalemate, this is you trying to protect your pride by not losing your precious 4th kill and probably coming on here to cry about it if you had.
It's only one kill, seriously - not an issue.
You mean have her strike and she will auto be bodyblocked?
Didn't know you could do that. Sounds great for this situation.....even if it is more bad game design
wouldn't really help all the other times I end up in this situation though, but yeah thanks I'll definitely try that if I end up in a situation against a wall again. Usually this happens out in the open.
Settle down survivor main.
I normally allow the hatch but this was an extremely toxic SWF. Went easy on them too and let one of them go when they were about to be 3 hooked and they threw it back in my face.
This is me being bored because the best I could do was sit there and wait for this sack of spuds to bleed out. Boring.. I can't think of many other games where the best option is to sit there and wait.
Survivor main, OMEGALUL.
Telling me to settle down after making a post crying about his 4TH kill.
As if that would mean anything at all in this situation, it's still crying about everything you don't have power over.
I spent the day running around with padded jaws on my trapper and the speed limiter on my hillbilly because I don't need to cry and whine about everything, I don't need to 4k every match to be satisfied and I certainly don't need to cry about a survivor using a perk like DS as an excuse to let them bleed out.
Ya'll are entitled af.
This post is literally "end game should be easier for my spirit build because having one survivor at the end with dstrike is so detrimental to my game".
Good lord I'm so glad I'm actually half decent at this game.
I've said many times I hook rather than slug for the 4k. I made a post the other day talking about how I hook and let the last guy get the hatch and then survivors get toxic - so no buddy I'm not one of those who wants the 4k every time at all.
I just don't like how it came down to us standing there staring at each other and that was the best way to play it. It was a hatch standoff and we weren't even stood at the hatch.
It's just reason #5381 why Decisive Strike needs to go.
I also agree D-Strike needs to go but I certainly wouldn't make someone bleed out over it, you say hatch had spawned but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have reached this person before they got to it.
I figured I'd get points for them bleeding out anyway. So it was on them if they chose to bleed out or crawl for hatch.
Normally they crawl but this one was stubborn.
Then you look around to see if the hatch is close. Then pick her up and stand in the corner making sure you can see what direction she goes. If she goes to the hatch she might get out, if she doesn't you win. Chase her down and hit her. There is also a chance she misses her DS. And so what if she takes hatch? I bet you double pipped. To bad you censored the number of gens, because I bet it says 3 and I've been over this, you can just give her hatch and still double pip.
It was 1 gen actually because as I said I 2 hooked everyone playing nice and let them go even when I could have had a kill but they threw it back in my face by being toxic. Hence why I denied them the hatch.
I bet you still pipped. You can't kill 3 with 1 gen left and NOT pip, especially if you 2 hook everyone that should be at least 2 golds and 2 silvers which is a pip.
I still had a crappy endgame. Plus like I said they were hella toxic so no hatch for them.
BHVR is known for this, they also came up with the brilliant design called hatch standoff
Players like you don't understand reasons why the hatch must exist.
Would you rather the last player move around the entire end game or you both converge on the same point and one of you can end it pretty quickly.
I'd take hatch every time because I just hit the last survivor because who actually gives a toss about 4Ks LUL
Was the Hatch nearby? If it wasn't, then you could've picked her up, taken the DS, and downed her again. But if it was nearby, then it's just another example of how ######### the Hatch is. I am shocked that such a ######### mechanic has been in the game for over two years now.
Depends on where the hatch is.
This post is just salt. You want fries with that?
Hatch and end game are gonna be changed. When? Don't know. To what? Don't know. But it's on the to-do list. Stop complaining about it.
Just eat the DS to take the chance or sit there and wait for them to die, and move on.
It's not the jatch that bugs me. It's that perk. If they get the hatch by any other means then good for them but a stupid btoken crutch perk shouldn't guarentee them it.
Killer screwed up...... should of used leather face and revved his chainsaw
Remember a slugged player is a player ready to be camped

If it was myself I would crawl towards a hook to end the game, if I died I'd say ggwp and if they decided to give me the hatch for it I would say the same and thank them.
I can't side with my fellow killer in this one. Sorry, but so what? Calling the player's strategy of corning you a "misplaced sense of pride" is pretty entitled. Myself, I'd respect that. It was a smart move. You are trying to deny him his escape, so he is trying to deny you your sacrifice. In the end, you win because he dies, but I can respect it.
Next time, don't fear the DS. You just try to position him to the "dead side" away from the hatch. Give yourself room.
You got 4 stacks of BBQ so you got a hook on him. It's a smart play on his part to save his DS. Grow a pair and pick him up if you want to kill him. Then stop bitching about the game.
It's more of both people being pissy than bad game design.
If the game was so bad people would not play it. The developers are the ones that decide how it is played, if you find what they choose boring I would not play!
Anyone that plays really well for the 4k just for the hatch to appear for failing the objective to rob the 4k is bad design.
I would argue DbD is a bad and good game at the same time. It's full of annoying game design sins, which are only accepted, because the core game is unique and addicting by itself.
@Freudentrauma This is very true however there is always an issue with games that people do not like and this is doubled for online games with PVP due to people exploiting to win. I just take the bad with the good and enjoy what is provided.
It's the fact that there is a perk with no counter. Seems like everything killers have has a counter. Survivors on the other hand....no. You just have to put up with all their OP #########.
The only person who wasted time, was you. Also, imagine comparing this game to two of arguably the best games ever made. Yikes.
I swear i have 0 issues with the hatch or DS.
Can i avoid DS? I will
I can't? I'll just eat it, the more time i spend on thinking about a plan the more time i give to survivors to finish the gens.
Will i aim for 4K? Sure
I can't and just got 3K? I'll be happy with that and i'll probably have more bps than anyone else.
Btw, i don't know if i'm weird or what but i do enjoy facing "toxic" swf, tbagging, flashlight spamming and all that stuff.
Love how Dstrike still isn't nerfed. Survivors act like it isn't a big deal to have a crazy perk like this until they play killer and work your ass off to kill three annoying SWF survivors, and then you have to deal with the fourth that has a free reset. Dunno how that could be seen as entitlement when the perk is blatantly overpowered with absolutely no downsides and no action taken by the developers.
- 40% of my playtime i spend it on playing as a killer.
- 4DS is rare as hell
Last but not least, if DS was truly op i would use it all the time, believe me.
But why run a 1 time use perk, which can be used at the beginning and get stuck with 3 perks for the rest of the match?
My unpopular opinion is that resilience is a better perk than DS, yeah, you heard that right.
Not to mention how you have to piss about juggling which wastes a fair bit of time anyway.
I'm not saying it in the case of the "oh god i run into 4 man swf every game with ds" like half the killer mains on here, I'm saying it as it just simply isn't a balanced perk. Getting off of the killer's shoulder for free is something that really shouldn't happen. I'd be fine with it if it at least came with some sort of downside.
And the thing is, if the survivor is playing optimally, they SHOULDN'T use their DS at the beginning of the game like you said. Instead they should wait for a good time to use it. If you were forced to use it on your first time, that's one step closer to it being balanced.
To put it into perspective, it would be like killer having the ability to choose one survivor to instantly go into stage 2 on the hook with no counterplay. No Hex, nothing. Now that would be infuriating to go against as a survivor lol
But again, i think there are other survivor perks way stronger than DS. Killers just dont complain that much about them and think DS is op because as killer you can feel DS hitting you.
Besides killer perks got nerfed that cost money e.g. STBFL.
And i won't deny it was kinda wrong.
I mean ######### everyone paid for the game itself and its seen numerous changes.
I just feel a free escape is too much and it feels really awful as killer to lose a kill due to this, especially when its non-obsession and there's no warning.
People can argue self-care is more powerful (in the age of healing nerfs and everyone taking sloppy butcher i disagree) but at least it keeps the survivors occupied for a while.
Another big issue with DS is the toxicity it brings. You don't ever see one of these toxic shits ever playing without DS. Taking away their orecious crutch might get them to think twice about tbagging. Besides they will probably disconnect more without DS which means they will get banned faster.
In my experience skilled survivors usually run other perks rather than DS because they know the real value of that perk, and not so skilled survivors just copy/paste what they see: DS, SB and all that stuff.
It's a standoff only because you refused to eat the DS. I can understand the motivation, but imo you can't complain about this situation if it's on you.
As a killer you should always try to get rid of DS in the early game, since it becomes stronger toward the end of the match. It's not always possible, but ending in such situations is most of the time a killer's misplay.
Also the survivor was smart and positioned himself so the killer couldn't avoid DS, can't say he "doesn't deserve it" because he clearly had a precise strategy in mind.
In any case you get 2500 by not doing anything for a couple minutes. At that point you just go eat a sandwich, win-win for you.
It's not worth it. That's why many ignore the obsession if possible.
In fact that we're all aggressively attacking the middle generator for ages. All 4 of them. So I didn't have the time to eat the stun. Would have given them the gen and then allowed them to go split up.
Imo ignoring the obsession is a mistake. If by any chance you guys are by the end of the match and finally go hook the DS user he/she could use DS, run,perform rescues, etc.
Yes yes you can slug but i want my hook points, i care more about bps and chasing rather than the number of kills.
The killer is at their weakest at the start of the game when tjere are 4 survivors on gens and no pressure on them. That's why I find it best to start trying to gain momentum early.
Decisive strike is the difference between getting your first hook with 5 gens remaining and getting your first hook with 3 gens remaining.