Otz Makes A Fair Point In Regards To Perks... (And Probably My Worst Take Ever)

https://youtu.be/TM-ikLl8Gtc?t=490

I think this can be said about both sides.

With DBD, it can be really hard to tell if the Survivor or Killer is using a certain perk, and if it becomes a requirement to play around it but you do not have enough information to know when/if you are suppose to play around it, it can create unfair scenarios.

Coup De Grace is just a single example, at least presented by Otz, but I can think of many other perks that function with that kind of issue.

With CDG, when a Generator is completed, you know they will have two stacks, the issue here is that once time has passed since the Generator is completed, you are unable to tell if the stacks have been used or not until it becomes too late. It turns the game into a guessing game as to rather you get hit or not.

CDG is not a strong perk anyways, but the counterplay to it is weird and awkward (sometimes even unfun) because of this issue.

Likewise, some Survivor perks have a similar issue.

Any Means Necessary is a decent example of it.

As Killer you have no way of telling this perk is in play at the start of the match. Sometimes you just leave dropped pallets around if it means you can get a hit or get into a chase that is beneficial, but it often can work against you and make things more difficult since Survivors can just reset the dropped pallets.

This perk can be both weak and strong depending on the situation and Killer, but it has a similar problem to CDG where the counterplay can be awkward, or in AMN's case, sometimes the counterplay can lead to future missed hits, downs, and hooks.

I think this can pose an issue with new players especially. The player onboarding process is already really bad, and having to learn hundreds of perks, dozens of Killer powers and items, addons to modify such, as well as seeing how perks interact with those things, it can be absolute hell for new players.

And for experienced players, it can also just be frustrating. You get punished for having a lack of information when the game is not giving you the information you need to begin with, and for many, it can just feel unfair and/or unfun.

EDIT: I do have some replies that at least make a bit more sense. Dear God what was a cooking when I made this post?

Comments

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3520669#Comment_3520669

    Like i said, even out the snowball curve for both sides, so that a single mistake doesn't cost you the game.

    I mean, if that first chase goes bad as a killer, you lose 3 gens, and then the survivors just predrop every pallet, and get a 4 man escape. If a survivor goes down super early, or another survivor goes down trying to get a flashlight save, its game over. It shouldn't be that way.

    That way, you'll have time. So as you play the game you'll see "oh the killer has coup, let me play around that" rather than just, oh, the killer has coup, i went down, now we lose. Or, oh the survivor has Dead hard, i'll play around that, instead of, oh the survivor has dead hard, now i just lose because i'm chasing someone with 3 health states.

    snowball is somewhat highly exaggerated on both sides however i cannot be bother to go into detail to why I think it is exaggerated.

  • @AchlysShadeslayer said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3519917#Comment_3519917

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3519917#Comment_3519917

    So would you prefer a version of DBD where Devour Hope is unable to be cleansed? It's only one example but Hex: Devour Hope being cleansable is the counter or outplay. Would you rather be permanently exposed after 3 unhooks? If the game makes you feel powerless with no ability to impact things then why play? If there were no counters, outplays, or outpreformances then "Cookie Clicker" has more engaging gameplay because at least you can click and affect your outcome.

    HOWEVER; DBD has kinda reached a point where certain perk, killer, and add-on combinations are entirely unbeatable so you'll get a game there you'd be better off on cookie clicker but a majority of the time you can play around certain things provided you have memorized each perk and it's effects. So long as DBD is at least kinda fair it'll keep going on unchanged and I'm fine with that so long as we don't have the "afk cenobite" type builds being left in.

    Otz clearly states we should know of a perk's existence before it takes effect. I don't need the game to tell me everything. Once a perk is used and made clear I can use my own knowledge and brain to try and counter it.

    Devour Hope was an example because it catches you out of nowhere sometimes and if the game told me the killer had that from the get go there's no use in it nor fun factor. This example parallel to Otz's statement.

    So a part of my argument isn't that nothing should have a counterplay but rather let the player come up with it instead of exposing eachother's perks to one another for the sake of a guaranteed outplay.

  • @Alice_pbg said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3520701#Comment_3520701

    I really don't get this... is anyone saying that every single perk needs to be known from the start?

    All I see is "this specific perks needs a tell that it activated".

    And "so every perks needs to be known from the start?" Is just an entirely new sentence people are saying like it answers anything...

    Where do you draw the line with which perks need to be shown? Fun and fairness is very subjective in DbD.

    Are we going to select these perks according to Otz and what he finds fun and fair?


  • @Venusa said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3520867#Comment_3520867

    Where do you draw the line with which perks need to be shown? Fun and fairness is very subjective in DbD.

    Are we going to select these perks according to Otz and what he finds fun and fair?

    in a case by case basis.

    in this case, the perk needs a tell that it activated.

    that simple

  • @Devil_hit11 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3520670#Comment_3520670

    snowball is somewhat highly exaggerated on both sides however i cannot be bother to go into detail to why I think it is exaggerated.

    "You are wrong, but i can't be bothered to actually prove it, so i'm just gonna say you are wrong with no proof and leave, but believe me"


    Yeah ok.

  • @Iron_Cutlass said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3519951#Comment_3519951

    If Otz cared more about money I think they would literally play any other game.

    While DBD is popular in the horror game scene, you need to remember that it is only a smaller portion of gaming as a whole.

    And if they cared about money, I dont think they would go through the trouble of making several hour long guides that only really help new players.

    I think Otz just looks at things a lot more critically than most people do, considering how casual the playerbase is for DBD to begin with.

    You're so delusional it hurts. Can't expect much else from an Otz fanboy though.

  • @Alice_pbg said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3520701#Comment_3520701

    I really don't get this... is anyone saying that every single perk needs to be known from the start?

    All I see is "this specific perks needs a tell that it activated".

    And "so every perks needs to be known from the start?" Is just an entirely new sentence people are saying like it answers anything...

    which perks then? you are informed of dissolution and i think even that's too much. that's just nerfing non meta killer perks because i don't know what perks would give that info other than spirit fury or coup.

    "this specific perks needs a tell that it activated"

    i personally think it's already omega obvious that a perk is in play for the most part. even info perks like aura reading and discordance. it can only be a new player friendly feature but alas, they need to be familiar with perks and it'll take some time.

  • @NerfDHalready said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3520867#Comment_3520867

    which perks then? you are informed of dissolution and i think even that's too much. that's just nerfing non meta killer perks because i don't know what perks would give that info other than spirit fury or coup.

    "this specific perks needs a tell that it activated"

    i personally think it's already omega obvious that a perk is in play for the most part. even info perks like aura reading and discordance. it can only be a new player friendly feature but alas, they need to be familiar with perks and it'll take some time.

    "which perks then?" is a question that does not follow from what I said.


    I agree, dissolution should not inform the survivors of it's existence. you should see the effect, and be aware of it later.


    this one, is not obvious. you just have to assume it is there or spend a bunch of time in chase to "confirm" it. it can and will give several false positives and negatives.

    other haste perks are obvious, you just look at the survivor and they are zooming.

    3% is not easy to tell unless you spent A LOT of time in the game. and the other haste perks, have an obvious activation window, this one is just on.

    the tell could be as simple as a survivor with made for this having a slighty different running animation. but something has to show it is in play

  • @Alice_pbg said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3521559#Comment_3521559

    "which perks then?" is a question that does not follow from what I said.

    I agree, dissolution should not inform the survivors of it's existence. you should see the effect, and be aware of it later.

    this one, is not obvious. you just have to assume it is there or spend a bunch of time in chase to "confirm" it. it can and will give several false positives and negatives.

    other haste perks are obvious, you just look at the survivor and they are zooming.

    3% is not easy to tell unless you spent A LOT of time in the game. and the other haste perks, have an obvious activation window, this one is just on.

    the tell could be as simple as a survivor with made for this having a slighty different running animation. but something has to show it is in play

    What prevents me from saying "Dissolution isn't obvious to me and I want the game to inform me if the killer has that perk because I find it unfun"? Do you see what I mean when I say where do you draw the line with Otz's idea? It's all subjective and nobody in this community has the unbiasedness to decide "in a case by case basis".

  • @Venusa said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3521566#Comment_3521566

    What prevents me from saying "Dissolution isn't obvious to me and I want the game to inform me if the killer has that perk because I find it unfun"? Do you see what I mean when I say where do you draw the line with Otz's idea? It's all subjective and nobody in this community has the unbiasedness to decide "in a case by case basis".

    you get hit, and a pallet breaks after you vault it.

    the tell is there and is quite obvious.

    even if you are unnaware of the perk, you will see that the pallet broke, and you can check the end game screen to read the perk that caused it.


    so, basic awareness and reading perks is what prevents you from saying it.


    I do not see what you mean cause your example is just terrible.

  • @Alice_pbg said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3521580#Comment_3521580

    you get hit, and a pallet breaks after you vault it.

    the tell is there and is quite obvious.

    even if you are unnaware of the perk, you will see that the pallet broke, and you can check the end game screen to read the perk that caused it.

    so, basic awareness and reading perks is what prevents you from saying it.

    I do not see what you mean cause your example is just terrible.

    "So basic awareness and reading perks is what prevents you from saying it."

    Thank you. You proved my point.

  • @Venusa said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3521591#Comment_3521591

    "So basic awareness and reading perks is what prevents you from saying it."

    Thank you. You proved my point.

    only if your point makes no sense.

1 2 ›