Incentives why NOT to Tunnel

Yeah, BHVR aren't giving you much and tbh in some situations you gotta do that against a strong team to regain some control, you can't always play fair. this post is mostly for killer players who all they do is camp/tunnel from their first hook, 5 gens in pubs while thinking every team they play against, are Hens's SWF.

Well, I can have a few as someone who plays both sides.

  • If you see other people that are good win a lot of times while not tunneling, they're obviously showing skill, if you don't care only about winning but also about being good at the game, learn how to win without taking the ez every child can do route.
  • Maybe you're playing vs survivors that also play your killer, and not really well. you can show them, by .. SKILL, that you can beat them without tunneling/camping from the get go, so you can give inspiration to other killers to improve.
  • If you still don't care and all you want is win, don't cry when survivors are telling you that you're bad at the game, yeah they're salty but they're saying the truth, if you destroyed them without 5 gen tunneling they would had(probably) more respect in general.
  • The dopamine of outplaying multiple people in chase. when you tunnel, usually the guy tunneled is in panic and doing mistakes, making it even easier to down. the game is fun(for me at least) when you chase many people, that play differently and outplay them most of the time, winning by that can give a huge dopamine hit, showing survivors that none of them can hold you for a long time unless using strong loops(that if ur good, u get rid of them fast).
  • Eventually, you will raise your MMR(that you can't even see) to a level that most of the teams against you will know how to handle you, they'll realize you lack skill but go for the tunneling ez route and punish you or give you 1 kill, and you will go out frustrated, good survivors can recognize within 1-2 loop interactions if you know how to play killer well or not.

It's not about dignity or the fun of the survivors, when I play killer If I tunnel from the start in pubs, I just make an easy game for myself, I do not improve and I do not show any form of skill to anyone. everything should be in dose in life, balanced is the word. When you tunnel on 5 gens in pubs you kill the balance of the game in a tactic that is only available in DBD, taking the easy route to win by standing still or hooking the same guy who's many times sucks/defenceless.

Comments

  • I think there is a general misunderstanding of the situation. Tunneling is a strat and it’s an effective way to play against certain encounters.

    I think it’s kinda weird if 1 side is always complaining because the other side is playing effectively.

    I mean if I would stop tunneling ( what would be dumb because I am a pyramid head main and he is designed for it), would the other side stop pulling off theire cheese too?

    I think no. They wouldn’t stop bodyblocking, looping, sneaky resetting chase to avoid bloodlust, jumping other a pallet so the you are not kicking the pallet and picking up the surv instead and so on and so on.

    So why should I stop?

  • @Blinckx said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/375506/incentives-why-not-to-tunnel

    Why, given your great experience, don't you make a nice post on how to do loops, avoid the killer and other much more interesting things for survivors? Yes of course crying and complaining is the fashion instead of improving I guess. The only thing you get with these posts is not "change the killers mind" is make the survivors think that no one tunnels and when that happens, then they cry.

    Killers always say there are no incentives to not tunnel(which they are right), I just tried to give incentives that I think are valid.

    Looping guides there are plenty on reddit and youtube, I can't make something new that a survivor that is up for it didn't see already.

  • None of these are incentives they are just threats of humiliation

  • @Heytherebigguy said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3428036#Comment_3428036

    Killers always say there are no incentives to not tunnel(which they are right), I just tried to give incentives that I think are valid.

    Looping guides there are plenty on reddit and youtube, I can't make something new that a survivor that is up for it didn't see already.

    I fail to see where you bring up some incentives. All i've read was "if you tunnel you suck"

  • @mizark3 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3427453#Comment_3427453

    Killers using best tactics aren't unskilled - Why that technically is true, I think someone who hunted an eagle with a throwing knife did better than the person using a flak cannon. That flak cannon user could be just as precise as the person using the throwing knife, but in this game more often than not it is because they lacked that skill, that they needed to resort to being carried by their choice of tools instead (be that Killer pick/add-ons/perks or strategies in game). People with the confidence and skill to hunt with throwing knives, like to bring throwing knives in order to show off their skill. People who want to get the 'free win' of a successful 'hunt' have a greater tendency to bring the flak cannon.

    Getting mad at players using the best tools is toxic - Gunna have to hard disagree on multiple fronts to this claim. You can get mad at whatever you want, as long as you aren't taking it out of the game. Saying 'not cool' in endgame chat is far from toxic, whereas doxing them is clearly inappropriate. Also if I wanted a chill middle-ground shotgun game, but got a flak cannon opponent like mentioned above, the flak cannoneer just wasted everyone's time other than their own. Due to the asymmetrical nature of the game, all of the Survs need to be flak cannoneers to be equal to a Killer being the same. So luckily in that regard, only 1 soloq Surv being a jerk doesn't (strictly) destroy the match's potential for enjoyment. That being said map offerings are the closest to full jerk territory, regardless of the side (with an exception for T1 Myers, who is nearly only viable with an indoor map).

    You haven't given a reason to not use the flak cannon. No matter how skilled you are, the flak cannon is the better tool for the job.

    And yes it is toxic to shame people for using the best tools. It'll be like telling artists their works have no value because they used a computer instead of by hand.

  • @Hawk81584 said:

    its all about "strategy" around here......EZ mode is what this place is all about...you arent going to get them to agree with you. the only way they will get it is when as a killer. they q up and spend 20 minutes trying to find a lobby in a game where noon wants to play the other side. i played killer for the first time this morning in over 6 months. with perks streamers have databases to using for each killer, and a basic knowledge of the game. you can destroy most trials fairly easy. i just couldnt take more than 3 matches of doing so. went back to the more challenging side

    First....why are you surprised people want to take the easy route? That's kind of what humans do. Would you rather work to be rich or just be born into a rich family if you had the choice? That said, I don't agree with tunneling and try to avoid it when possible, but that's an argument that won't ever really go anywhere it seems. I was however wondering, do you have a link to these data bases for perks? I just got back into the game after roughly a year away and something like that would be incredibly helpful for me to see so I would have an idea of what killers I should be prestiging currently for perk unlocks.

  • @Crowman said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3428025#Comment_3428025

    You haven't given a reason to not use the flak cannon. No matter how skilled you are, the flak cannon is the better tool for the job.

    And yes it is toxic to shame people for using the best tools. It'll be like telling artists their works have no value because they used a computer instead of by hand.

    I thought it was implied, through using the analogy, a flak cannon is clearly overkill. It is designed to take out aircraft (4-man comp swf), not geese barely flying in formation (4 no mither memelords, or bog standard soloq teammates). Because it is overkill, it proves it wasn't the best tool for the job. The best tool for the job is the one closest to the opposition's tools, as it allows skill alone to determine the victor. It is so comedically overtuned for the job, that skill expression isn't visible. Because I shot it, EVERYTHING in that direction died. Whereas if I were to bring the throwing knife and end up against an aircraft, I can win by getting lucky hitting a propeller or stray fuel line. Seeing the throwing knife user's skill is quite apparent, seeing the flak cannon user's skill is near impossible.

    Lets say you need to reach a results target number of X. X could be anywhere from 1-100. You need a total of skill+tools to sum greater than X to win. When you bring the flak cannon starting at a tools value of 50, you win without any skill in about half of matches, and only in the 51-100 range was skill required. That also means proportionately, the player brings less skill. If they win against a Survivor team with 75 effectiveness results, they only brought 26+ skill points. That would be in comparison to say a 10 and 25 tool player, who would need to bring 65+/50+ skill respectively. There are a rare few Blight players who bring less than the max, lowering the tool variable to be more reliant on skill. These madchads bring BBQ alone, maybe Shadowborn to add salt for taste(no add-ons). Whilst they still brought a strong tool (Blight), they brought no other such crutch, and are far more reliant on skill for victories.

    If everyone engages in the rocket tag of bringing the most lethal tools, every match will degenerate into a sweatfest. When I'm Killer, and someone sends me to what could be seen as an unfavorable map, I bring my A-game. They drew first blood, and indicated they wanted to sweat. If I can tell who brought the map, (or more accurately, who didn't) I might play kinder to those who didn't bring it, to show I only bring sweat to match sweat. Personally I also let BPS players go. They wanted BP, and they gave me BP to match, so I can afford to give them 14k (7k doubled) extra BP if I established I could have killed them. They know it was mercy, or rather their 'bribe', that ensured their survival. I feel and know I won, and they get bonus BP (in a scenario they indicated they wanted BP, by bringing the offering), its a win-win. This may seem a bit of a side tangent, but it is related. It is a matter of recognizing the opposition's tools variable, and adjusting yours to match. By not bringing the flak cannon against the memelords, I can still win through my skill expression, and avoid using perks if I want to adjust on the fly. I can avoid using Pop/Eruption by simply not kicking gens, avoid Scourge Hooks to not use PR, and not vault windows to avoid using Bamboozle. When both sides are only having the skill variable determine the victor, it is more enjoyable for everyone. If I need a free win, I can play a single-player game and set it to story difficulty. If I need to feel as though my skill beat other's, I try to bring less tools than my opposition. If I were to resort to flak cannoning everyone, they would stop playing. It is a problem that fixes itself, but not an a productive manner.

  • Some sort of innate bp bonus or mechanic for not tunneling would be great. especially if it effects gens

  • I will give you $5 not to take this gold coin worth $500. You won't get in any trouble for taking said coin, only an issue with morality which you can come up with any number of excuses to justify why you took the coin. Also you and I are complete strangers.

    Incentives work.

  • Sorry I can't hear you with the sound of the M-D Ring and Amulet, the rushing of the tunneling on 5 gens to go is too loud :/

    Well, I with my modest 9k hrs would like to have Hens with his "op 4 men swf" :)) but unfortunately bhvr doesn't mean to make any matchmaking in this game, which is why you get a hundred hours of players in the lobby here and there, which overwhelms you are and desperate if it's a legion, so complain to bhvr! It's not the fault of the players who used the mechanics of the game that the game gives, but it's the fault of bhvrs! in other words if bhvr said "here is a tool that will allow you to kill all survivors right at the start of the round just you have to expect to run out of bp" people would do it and it is okay :D

1 2 ›