Pain Res scream was removed, but came back purely due to Merciless Storm

Which is stupid. They first removed the gen scream, then a clip of someone doing a gen and having Pain Res pop after Merciless begun, causing 40+ skillchecks to appear showed up on reddit.

That's stupid, sure. But why is the solution to this to buff Pain Res? Isn't the obvious solution to just cap Merciless Storm to 10 seconds? It can still be extended by jolt and oppression anyway, so it's not like the "bug" was even really fixed.

Having to let go of a gen before every hook is stupid. Pain Res + DMS, just because you didn't bother letting go is dumb. Letting go and getting a skillcheck is dumb.

Comments

  • Pain res is like killers dead hard you have to always expect it and let go off gen and wait before it hits.

  • @Deathstroke said:

    Pain res is like killers dead hard you have to always expect it and let go off gen and wait before it hits.

    That and Eruption. These perk changes can't come soon enough but probably won't happen until the next chapter in like 3 months. What a shame.

  • I agree that they should have searched for a different solution, but IMO was it fine to change it back, because the Merciless Storm/Pain Res-Combo was way more annoying.

    And in general, it is not that hard to counter Dead Mans Switch, sad thing is that many Survivors are just not doing it. But letting go of a Gen to avoid it is reasonable IMO.

    (Other than Eruption, where it is unreasonable)

  • @MrMori said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3331624#Comment_3331624

    That and Eruption. These perk changes can't come soon enough but probably won't happen until the next chapter in like 3 months. What a shame.

    Eruption is like old dh. It barely has counter if you're solo player. Dead hard is usually possible to bait out.

  • Instead the devs ruined a perk (DMS) which isnt really that powerful to be played alone. You play PR+DMS (and hope RNG doesnt fck you) or DMS is useless now.

    And why? Because they found a problem in PR+MS.

    Bruh thats so stupid. Just killswitch MS till this cant happen and thats it, but no, the BHVR-Way was the shorter one, I guess.

    ...

  • Tbh, I was a very big fan of the old PainRes; it entered the scene when killer gameplay was at its absolute low point and survivor's were at their peak power, and PainRes singlehandedly saved the game for me.

    This perk gave me the on-the-fly gen regression that I needed and created enough breathing room for me to have somewhat of a fighting chance. Also the Gen explosion gave me a clear new target and set a course of action. I feel that this was the perks best and most fun iteration, but it was either considered overtuned, "no fun to face" or just played too much.

    Then they took away the explosion and I really hated it at first. When I now hooked someone I was left puzzled and confused: did it work? Did something happen? Or was there just some energy send into the void? What should I cook tonight? And instead of a clear new target I just stood there, dumbfounded and sorta camped and hook traded.

    Yeah, the PainRes+DMS combo was strong, but was it that bad? I don't know, but good things seldom last long, it seems and at least I understood the reasoning behind this.

    When they reintroduced the screaming into the mix I at least knew that it was working, but the screams are so unidirectional that they really don't offer any information to me at all. But more important, it now worked together with DMS again. And this confused me to no end. Every nerf to this perk seemed somewhat arbitrary and following no clear concept, as if they just played it by ear until they were somewhat okay with the sound they got, even though it wasn't harmonic in itself.

  • Even with eruption out there showing people what an uncounterable combo looks like, people still manage to complain about a combo that literally warns you when it will proc, idk if people are legitimally trolling at this point.

  • @squbax said:

    Even with eruption out there showing people what an uncounterable combo looks like, people still manage to complain about a combo that literally warns you when it will proc, idk if people are legitimally trolling at this point.

    Not trolling, it's just lame and completely pointless gameplay that requires no though other than "better let go any time the killer hooks". What's the point? Either force anyone within 8m of the gen to scream, or remove it entirely.

    But it wouldn't be as obnoxious if they'd fix skillchecks right before letting go of a gen.

  • I actually don't mind pain res as much as I used to now that deadman was nerfed. It isn't nearly as strong what I do find boring, however, is the gen kick meta perks. Pain res, I think is a fairly well-designed perk, it is a bit frustrating at times when it catches you off guard but it has fairly simple counterplay when you know it is in play.

  • @JustWhimsical said:

    I actually don't mind pain res as much as I used to now that deadman was nerfed. It isn't nearly as strong what I do find boring, however, is the gen kick meta perks. Pain res, I think is a fairly well-designed perk, it is a bit frustrating at times when it catches you off guard but it has fairly simple counterplay when you know it is in play.


    True, but I'd rather have it reveal the gen for 3s in yellow, like discordance or something instead of causing a scream. Then they could lower the regression slightly since the info it gives is now more consistent.

  • @MrMori said:

    Which is stupid. They first removed the gen scream, then a clip of someone doing a gen and having Pain Res pop after Merciless begun, causing 40+ skillchecks to appear showed up on reddit.

    That's stupid, sure. But why is the solution to this to buff Pain Res? Isn't the obvious solution to just cap Merciless Storm to 10 seconds? It can still be extended by jolt and oppression anyway, so it's not like the "bug" was even really fixed.

    Having to let go of a gen before every hook is stupid. Pain Res + DMS, just because you didn't bother letting go is dumb. Letting go and getting a skillcheck is dumb.

    The solution was to not rework a perk (Merciless Storm), but instead destroying another perk (Dead Mans Switch), so that this perk isnt good enough on its own. Either you play DMS with PR or u dont.

    And why? because it takes less time to change a number on DMS (from 45 to 30) than reworking MS.