GEN AND MAP PRESSURE
Hi all, as this is my first post here, I really hope to find people that can create a nice and comfortable conversation around this topic.
I'm gonna start by saying that i have around 1.3k hours and i've been following the game since his release through videos and stuff..
One question that came to my mind the other day was the fact, that no matter what, I always get "genrushed". Now, bare in mind that I don't even think genrushing is an actual thing, unless people bring toolboxes and such, but I'd like to know if you guys have any suggestions to mantain better gen and map pressure, cause even if my first chase lasts mostly not longer than 40 seconds, 2 gens fly regardless.
I also have to say, that I've tried to use corrupt and deadlock, but they gave me no luck, as my first chase with a survivor lasting not a lot of time, it kills corrupt immediately, and when I equip deadlock they, most of the time, split my gens around or keep one 99'd.
I tend to play mid tier killers because i like their gameplays and the fact that they are revolved around chase mechanics (Nemesis, Freddy ecc...), but no matter what, the best I can get is a sweaty 1 kill with like 7 hooks.
Sorry if my rant is a bit long, but I hope we can make a good interaction with the community regarding this topic.
Thanks everyone for reading. <3
Comments
There is not much you can do about this. Lethal Pursuer on a killer with high mobility might work but your best option to deal with that is Corrupt Intervention. It does a descent job delaying the first 2 gens for a bit. After that though you cannot really maintain pressure because survivors have CoH and medkits as well as chase delaying perks (DH) and toolboxes, so it really comes down to creating a scenario that puts survivors in a spot from which they can't come back. How do you do that? Well, injuring a survivor has becom pretty much worthless, if you can't follow up with a down. Even a down is not really a lot of pressure, if you can't follow up on it. A hookstage on the other hand is something irreversible. Hooking someone twice means they can't go for risky plays anymore, without risking to die. I'm not saying you should tunnel or camp but using those strategies just right will create pressure better than just hoping for the best.
Losing two gens for your first chase is completely normal.
I wouldn't worry too much about those first gens.
Beginning of the game is where you have 4 pairs of hands on gens until you find your first survivor, and then 3 while you're in chase. It's as fast as gens will go. Once you start putting pressure by hooking, it halves the number of players on gens.
Lethal Pursuer or Discordance are good to immediately know where survivors are and be able to interrupt the first gens.
The only thing I can think to add is be mindfull of where you're chasing. If you can chase close to gens then you're indirectly pressuring those. If the survivor is intentionally pulling you away from a gen, chances are you need to pressure that one.
Something that really helped me is to always ask the question of "how many survivors can be on gens now"
For example at the start of the game 4 survivors can be on gens, when you start chasing someone that person can't do gens. So 3 survivors possible can be on gens.
Once you caught and hooked that survivor and find another one fast enough suddenly that number plummets. 1 survivor who is hooked, 1 who is being chased and 1 who needs to resque the survivor on hook. So only one is left to do gens.
You want to try to keep that cycle going. Also remember that a survivor on the ground can't work on gens either. If you down somebody and you can get in chase again right away it sometimes is good to not hook them and turn up the pressure
Another important tip is who you hook. You want somebody out of the game sooner rather then later. At around hook 5-6 somebody really needs to be out of the game.
If one is dead and you have the 1 on hook, 1 in chase and 1 having to resque cycle going then nobody can be on gens and survivor progress grinds to a complete halt
You don't really want to only focus on one person though as remember "how many survivors can be on gens now?" And 3 will make gens fly.
Focussing on one person will work against weaker survivors but you'll really struggle against better ones.
The best way to do this is to pick one survivor to ignore untill somebody is dead. Preferably somebody with a flashlight who obviously wants to be chased.
Remember that this game is very snowball heavy. The gens at the start will go very fast but will slow down massively if you get momentum going, don't fret about the first couple of gens, the only one that matters is the last one!
There are ofcourse a lot of other stuff you can do to improve but this mindset really helps with dealing with fast gens
Gens will always get completed at the start of the game unless you get extremely lucky with map and survivor spawns. I generally only use corrupt on trapper since I can do a bit of setup early while survivors are rotating the map to avoid blocked gens.
I get much more value out of lethal pursuer at the start of the game on most killers. I always go toward the largest group I can see immediately, mostly to disrupt and encourage them to move across the map (so getting similar value to corrupt), as well as first down. Added benefit is that immediate pressure usually means they have no time to get their bearings and find the 'strong comfort tile', so first down is usually either super quick, or reasonably fast with them panic dropping the first pallet they find.
The other thing is I almost never find value camping or going back to hook. It's my job to give survivors something else to do other than gens. Going back to the hook is interrupting the only two survivors I know for certain aren't doing gens at that moment. The other two need something to worry about. I usually run an info perk like BBQ or Darkness Revealed so I can go get immediately into the next chase. Both of these get value from lethal, but have their blind spots. But if you know maps and locker spawns you can still generally figure out where people are with DR even if their auras don't show.
Freddy might be able to get value out of dead man's switch, because you can fake your teleport and cancel it when they let go of the gen to block it. It won't work as well on experienced survivors, but when it works it's a good stall on that gen.
Pain rez and Eruption.
You might need Gen regression
Maybe Jolt would help