Is The Knight Just...Bad?
Have been beavering away trying to learn this guy and I just don't get it.
Guards are a fun idea, but summoning them is highly telegraphed and even if people get seen, they very rarely catch anyone.
About the only consistent use I've found is popping one out over a downed survivor to make saves harder.
Is there something I'm missing, because - while I love his concept and aesthetic - he feels worse than Sadako.
Comments
Equip Gen kicking perks, kick gen, leave guard on gen. Profit
sorry to say this but he is just an awful design for the killer and for the survivors.
I assumed that was how he worked, but what'll happen is that one person just leads the guard away and the other gets back on the gen. Best case scenario, it just extends the game a bit longer.
He's fine if people are derpy, but that's most killers.
I've only really started learning him, so it's entirely possible that I just don't 'get' how he's supposed to play. But yeah, thus far - not a fan at all.
It's all for the Survivors to know if/when you use your power... the same as Spirit, Nurse, Hillbilly... ETC
I'm pretty sure they accidentally introduced a delay when summoning a guard as fast as possible, which makes dropping a guard at a loop quickly a bit of a pain. Hopefully that'll be fixed sometime.
He's very much a zoning based killer. You'll want to use his guards to cut off areas where they can run to and force them away from tiles. Once a hunt has started, you'll want to work in tandem with a guard to cut off every possible route a survivor can go. The Pincer maneuver is your friend. Come from the opposite direction that a guard is going in a loop and it's basically a guaranteed hit. You'll probably get a lot of people holding W (as that's basically the only thing they can do) and if that happens you just catch up to them as an m1 killer.
Remember to keep the Standard in mind, it's not that hard to zone away from it, but make sure you're doing so, because having it picked up is really bad for you.
The addons you'll want to run consistently are Dried Horsemeat and Map of the Realm. They make his power a lot more effective. They're low rarity too so you can realistically run them every game. The difference with and without these addons is night and day.
instadrop guards at loops vs drawing lines. Works much better. You can also make an insta pallet break guard build that works really well.
I also tried that, but the second I do, they just leave the loop. And that power has a monster cooldown.
The Knight also can't place guards too close to windows, pallets, or gens. So besides not being good, he also at times just feels really clunky.
Here is my run down
Chase survivor, when survivor gets to a loop with pallet.
Unzip your guard. Keep your eyes on Survivor as the guard unfolds.
Punish the movement a Survivor is forced to make.
As others have said he's a zoning killer, but his biggest detriment is that survivors can both see and hear precisely where he's putting down his power, which means survivors are running away while he's stuck in the animation. This ultimately leads to players of the Knight to instead drop one of the guards at a loop.
He definitely needs a slight rework, because right now he's a weaker Artist and nothing more.
Trying it at present, just faced a TTV SWF that completely pantsed me.
The summon has a delay and you can't bring it out too close to the loop, due to the weird restriction on where it can be summoned. By the time it's up and the animation is done, the survivor is already halfway through to the next loop.
The only areas where I'm finding them consistently useful are:
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but if they leave the second I summon, they gain time on me compared to if I'd just chased them.
and you can't bring it out too close to the loop
Then stand back, its a pain but the only solution atm.
The issue is that the solution is the problem. Unless they make a serious mistake and hang around the loop, by the time the guard is out and I'm back up, they are miles away.
He's a very intense Killer. You have to micro-manage and play the macro game. I've had a lot of success with him.
You need to lock down areas of the map. You have to be able to read Survivors very well. It is absolutely imperative.