Block state allows targeted harassment
Currently users can see whether they've blocked a particular player in the lobby if the menu shows "Unblock", which can and is being used effectively as a "list" of players to harass. I have been a victim to targeted harassment a couple dozen times over the span of a few years in this manner by the same killer (and a streamer, no less, so I have proof that this is happening).
My suggestion is that users should not be able to see player block state in the lobby, which could be a done in a number of ways, including:
- Continue to show "Block" if a player is already blocked, and clicking on "Block" on an already blocked player is a no-op.
- Show both "Block" and "Unblock" menu items without showing the block state.
- Remove the "Block"/"Unblock" menu item from the lobby. There's not much of a use case for it before the start of the match.
Allowing users to maintain a "list" in this manner exacerbates the issue of toxicity in this community, and I hope that the devs could take a look at this problematic use case.
Comments
Or maybe think about your behavior and why does that person feel the need to have you on a list. Next time don't be toxic and you might not find yourself in "harass me back" list
There's other ways for people to track players they don't like playing with/against. I used to be in some DBD Facebook groups and alot had excel spreadsheets of players they didn't like for whatever reason.
If a player is targeting you over multiple matches that is reportable. You just need to fill out a ticket and send the proof to support: https://support.deadbydaylight.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
You can end up on somebody's "list" for any number of reasons. Have I done something to deserve targeted harassment? I doubt there exists an answer that would be satisfactory to you or move the thread conversation forward, but for the record, I do not believe so.
Returning to the product design issue originally presented, do you believe that player vigilantism in the form of targeted harassment is valid user behavior, and that the game UI effectively enabling such behavior is not an issue that needs solving? Should game developers encourage such behavior through intentional product design?
Now with anonymous mode, it is much more difficult to effectively maintain lists outside of the game.
I am aware that targeted harassment can be reported, but I want to address specifically the UI which enables this type of harassment.
The problem with your suggestion is it eliminates the ability to not play with toxic players.
While i can see your issue, the ability to see if you have blocked a player is currently the only way to avoid certain people, since you still get matched with people you block.
Lists dont really work due to both anonymous mode and the ability of pc players to essentially change their name whenever they want.
Funnily enough your suggestion would eliminate your ability to dodge those players you are complaining about harassing you
It's not possible in my case because the harassing player is a killer, unless BHVR adds the ability to see the killer's profile and block state in the lobby.
In any case, I do not subscribe to the premise that the players are personally responsible for managing community toxicity by maintaining lists and dodging - the onus should be on the developer to make systematic changes to reduce toxicity.
Can you define what it is you are considering targeted harassment exactly, just out of curiousity.
The main problem is the game has rules, if a rule is broken it can be punished.
Many things considered toxic are not against the rules, and therefore can only really be policed by the individual. Also what one person considers toxic isnt universally toxic.