Serious MMR Question
I see a lot of people complaining about MMR and I don't blame them, but I haven't seen any Dev or Mod respond to these threads.
Are they happy with how MMR is currently working or are they planning to tweak it in the future?
It seems for every killer I play, even those I've literally only played once or twice (Artist, Dredge and Ring) I get paired with survivors way above my skill level and always above P50. I've had many back to back games of 0 kills but the people I go against are still as skilled.
I was a killer main for 3 years and then didn't touch killer for 2 years so I am very out of practice and since then there have been multiple changes.
Comments
They already tweaked it because queues were taking to long and people would only face the same 3-5 killers all the time, so they lowered the soft cap for mmr and making mmr even more worthless by that, but there is no other way around it because people would not want to sit in queue for 20-30 min either.
As for the pairing with way stronger people apparently once you have a killer that has reached the softcap all other killers mmr gets raised to almost that. If you want to have more information about mmr watch this video Scott made about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHEkN-oDLrkOr this video that was basically Scotts source for the information in his video (it is also linked in the video description):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI9jiL0FL0c&t=0sThey both partially include the same information as Scott is referring to the video below... Hope that answers your questions.
Thanks for this, very useful and makes a lot of sense!
Would be helpful to see our MMR's just to be reassured they're where they should be or are at least going up/down when we believe they should.
There's a misconception about how the devs intend MMR to work and how the players think MMR is supposed to work.
The devs are terrified of this game being remotely competitive, and the matchmaking implementation reflects that. There isn't really "high MMR" play. The matchmaking range is too wide and the soft cap is too low. Games are almost always going to be a hodge podge of skill levels. Players can always use confirmation bias one way or the other i.e. "I had a hard game so I'm high MMR". It's the real reason the devs hide the number. It's much harder to ask pointed questions about the system unless you risk a ban to see the actual numbers behind your characters and draw conclusions from that.
Players think MMR is intended to give balanced matches consistently. It's not though. It's to very loosely group players by general skill levels in a way that's slightly better than ranked matchmaking was.
One thing that’s not mentioned in those videos FYI is MMR is on a bell curve and 1600 is probably around the 6% or so point based on some rough estimates we did a while back. (Basically the devs mentioned 1% were over the old higher soft cap, which implied a mean of 1000 and standard deviation of about 400, and when you use hose parameters it comes out to about 6% percentile for the 1600+ plus crowd.) Some people seem to think the number is much higher based on bad intuition about the math (e.g. “the numbers range to 3000 so half the people are over half that”).
Also some people seem to incorrectly think your MMR goes up or down a flat amount per match so the more you play the more it goes up if you win most of the time. But in reality how much it goes up or down depends on the relative MMR of your opponents, so if you win against a lower rated opponent it goes up less than if you beat a higher rated one and vice versa for losing. So even if you have, say, a 70% kill rate, if you are already mainly playing against lower rated opponents because you are in the higher part of the curve then your MMR will only go up a little per win and go down a lot per loss, keeping your rating relatively stable. It take a lot of time and a lot of wins against really good players to get to the ratings the main streamers have.
"very loosely" is the important word here.
As an example, sometimes I go against gamma_ssg, over 6k hours, over 110k Blight Rush Hits, always running strong Add Ons on Blight. They will have a very impressive MMR, I did not escape once against them. However, my MMR is not as high that I should go against them at all IMO and the rest of the Killers I go against reflect this. Most of them are solid, but nowhere near the level of gamma_ssg.
For me a prime example that "very loosely" clearly fits with MMR. The range is super-wide which is the reason why I end up in games with such skilled players.
Interesting to know, I didn't realise it was like this.
But then again as far as I know it expends the range of players searched for within time so even with an mmr of 1600 you can get guys far lower than that... A few months back they tested this stuff and i think it takes 5-10 min for it to reach the maximum sear range... And at that point the mmr is fairly accurate in predicting who will win the game... But you don't really get something out of it as the players skill are rather wide spread..
What is the quickest way to drop MMR? I'm seriously considering playing as Wraith and AFKing because I can't catch a break today.
AFKing risks getting reported, and multiples for AFKing can get you a ban. Besides, why would you want to be that bored?
Just play normally, then let the survivors escape after you've got 8 hooks. You get a decent score, maybe up to 3 Iri emblems even, get all your challenges done (that don't involve kills) then be generous at the end of the game. You'll get less salt too.
I can't even get 3 hooks 😂 I know I'm bad at killer against the current mmr, I don't need to be reminded and taunted every game. I've had 5 games today were I got 0 kills and have not noticed a difference in survivors.
I'd rather AFK then get a bully squad
Impossible to say without knowing current numbers, and potentially not even worth the effort if your number is within a certain range. The matchmaker tries to find a "close" match (we don't know what it considers a close match) and then expands up to +/-350 MMR for an acceptable match. You could be the most average killer in the DbD community and still be within matchmaking range of some good survivors. It's the way the matchmaker is tuned. It's why everyone thinks they're "high MMR". If you have even 500 hours in the game, there's a decent chance you can get matched against the top 5% of the playerbase without being super high MMR yourself.
It's why I ask people if they really want less competitive matchmaking and faster queues above all else. Because a lot of players still seem to be put in matches that are too difficult even after 6.1.
the one time I KNOW I got a low mmr match was when I took a year hiatus from the game lol. I know for a fact that I only got new players that lobby cause they didn’t know how Ghostface power worked so I think the only way to guarantee 100% a low mmr match is by not playing for a long time. other than that it’s kind of a mistery because SBMM is very inconsistent in DBD.
That being said, u shouldn’t set ur mindset to that “I know Im bad as killer”. U can always improve man, YT helps a lot too
Does anyone think a system that would class doing 5 gens,20min chase and die on first hook as a terrible player and lower their mmr good?
Definitely plenty of changes they can make, they have spoke about changes they're "looking at" like mmr decay over time or some team based mmr but not actual update on those
Interesting to hear because I took a 2 year break and have started playing again the past month or so and am getting sweat feast games constantly.
Usually I play 7/8 games of getting my ass handed to me and then will have a potatoe game to rebuild my confidence and then get another 7/8 games of being dragged all over the place 😂
Don't waste your time. There are certain safeguards in place to prevent sealclubbing (absolutely hilarious considering content creator preferential matchmaking but whatever) so once you reach X point with at least one killer, no other killers can be lower than whatever your best killer was, within a certain range. Basically, if you ever go over the soft cap with any killer, every single other one is brought up -200 or -300 IIRC.
If it's any consolation, yesterday and today were absolutely horrible, I don't know where all these looping god survivors are regularly, first time I got a 0k as a Nurse in an entire year.
Really?!?! Feels bad man, once I got back I just got the most potato survivors. They would either be trying to hide injured 4 ft away from me, or would rush into lockers thinking I didn’t get a notification, or just straight up panic and run into me.
what killer do u usually play? Just out of curiosity
Man that sounds like a dream lol. Don't get me wrong I don't want easy games, I just want to start off gently and ease back into it. I'm more than happy with 2K per game but it's such a struggle without playing scummy.
I literally play with everyone and usually switch it up every few games. Today I've been playing Trapper, Ghostface, Spirit and Clown. The only killers I have very little experience with are Artist, Dredge and Ring.
Back in the day I used to be a Freddy and Pig main lol, but that went out the window after the nerfs. I have every killer and all the perks for everyone so if you have any recommendations I'll gladly try them.
I get It, I get it. When I came back i wanted an easy way back as well, the difference is I got it. U were unlucky tho, u got the rough start.
but dont worry, you’ll get back there. I recommend u try Legion, he’s actually good now specially with julies mixtape. His power is great for info and easy hits. Survs also get really desperate when they cant heal as often. Other than that, just go slow at first, until u get the hang of it.