Is this an oversight with hatch escapes?

As you may or may not know, a survivor’s MMR is unchanged when they escape through the hatch. While I understand the reasoning for this when all other survivors have died, the exception to me is when other survivors have escaped through the exit gate(s).

Sometimes a survivor chooses to hatch escape at this point in the game for extra blood points, a Rift challenge, and/or fun. It’s not due to the rest of the team dying, or being the only option of escape.

So I ask BHVR and the community: should hatch escapes grant MMR to a survivor, when at least one other survivor has escaped through an exit gate?

Comments

  • I think so, yeah. Similarly, a gate escape after the hatch has been closed (due to only one survivor remaining) should not grant a higher MMR.

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    I think so, yeah. Similarly, a gate escape after the hatch has been closed (due to only one survivor remaining) should not grant a higher MMR.

    True, I forgot to bring up the converse side! So thank you for that! 🙂

  • @GoshJosh said:

    As you may or may not know, a survivor’s MMR is unchanged when they escape through the hatch. While I understand the reasoning for this when all other survivors have died, the exception to me is when other survivors have escaped through the exit gate(s).

    Sometimes a survivor chooses to hatch escape at this point in the game for extra blood points, a Rift challenge, and/or fun. It’s not due to the rest of the team dying, or being the only option of escape.

    So I ask BHVR and the community: should hatch escapes grant MMR to a survivor, when at least one other survivor has escaped through an exit gate?

    I agree you shouldn't miss out of MMR when escpaing through the hatch in this situation.

    Instead of basing it on one other survivor escaping, I would tie it to an exit gate being open. So you could also earn MMR through hatch when you are the only survivor left, but you would have to be ballsy to open a gate and then get to hatch before the killer does. Or open a gate and reopen the hatch with a key.

  • This is pretty good thinking, OP. Its not that big of a deal, but still significantly enough that it should be discussed and probably changed.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3243707#Comment_3243707

    How come? I've been able to get hatch a hell a lot more than being able to get the gates open.

    Because the survivor lost that game. Simple as. If you’ve even lost the hatch minigame (which would’ve made for a tie, MMR-wise) why should you gain MMR for what is pure luck regarding gate spawns?

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    I think so, yeah. Similarly, a gate escape after the hatch has been closed (due to only one survivor remaining) should not grant a higher MMR.

    Opening the exit gate when you're the only remaining survivor and the killer only needs to patrol the exits isn't exactly a walk in the park.

    But there is a point here. Not all 'escapes' are equal.

    There needs to be an additional multiplier to take that into account.

    Maybe x0.75 for hatch escapes when the exits are open, and a x0.5 for exit escapes when the hatch has spawned.

    Rationale being that if if went for the openned exit the killer could intecept you, but a hatch escape would be an opportune safe alternative. While an exit escape as a sole survivor is tricky, but doesn't require the completion of core objectives.

    Similarly. Killer MMR should get modifiers for hooks per kill. A 3-hook kill would be full MMR, x0.75 for 2-hooks/mori, x0.5 for 1-hook/entity kill, and x0.25 for a bleedout.

  • I think that if a survivor escapes after all the generators have been completed, it should grant MMR. But if a survivor escapes before all the generators have been completed, it should grant zero MMR. With this suggestion, hatch escapes and gate escapes are treated equally.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3243723#Comment_3243723

    Hang on, I think I misunderstood you. Are you saying that MMR shouldn't be gained for both hatch and ext gate if all others are dead?

    As it is now, when a survivor escapes through the hatch (because it is the only option, I should emphasise), no MMR is gained or lost. As it should be, imo.

    What I’m saying is that it doesn’t make sense to me that a survivor who didn’t find hatch (which would’ve made for a tie, MMR wise) is able to gain MMR by losing the chance to tie, because they were lucky with how the gates have spawned.

    I’m not saying they should lose MMR should they escape through the gate after the hatch has been closed, but gaining MMR when the survivor side lost feels very backwards to me. Especially on maps such as RPD which have static gates that are very hard to defend, there’s not much a killer without mobility can do. To that end, why should the killer lose MMR, despite having won the game?

    If the gate was opened after all gens were done, they should gain MMR as normal, even if all the other survivors have died.

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    I think so, yeah. Similarly, a gate escape after the hatch has been closed (due to only one survivor remaining) should not grant a higher MMR.

    Eeeeh i would be against that.

    It's one of the only reliable ways for a solo survivor to raise their mmr when they are stuck with bad teammates

    And it's in most maps stacked into the killers favor unless you bring perks for it

    Escaping through the hatch after the gates are open is a whole lot easier the escaping through the gate after hatch has been closed.

    They are not equal in the slightest

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3243707#Comment_3243707

    Eeeeh i would be against that.

    It's one of the only reliable ways for a solo survivor to raise their mmr when they are stuck with bad teammates

    And it's in most maps stacked into the killers favor unless you bring perks for it

    Escaping through the hatch after the gates are open is a whole lot easier the escaping through the gate after hatch has been closed.

    They are not equal in the slightest

    I agree. Especially if the gates are close together, sometimes even running perks like “wake up,” is not fast enough.


    Hatch escape is mostly luck. Escaping through the gate after the hatch has been closed, actually requires work.

  • It's probably minor for the algorithm but I'd generally agree.

    If at least one exit gate is open and you get hatch, it should be counted as a win.

    If all 5 generators were not completed and you escape through the exit gate, it should be treated the same as hatch.

    Exit gates in this game are VERY random. I'd generally say they favor the killer, but they can spawn directly next to each other or across the map from each other. Also, it's a bit ridiculous that they can spawn next to each other.

  • If it's like Hockey like our boy Patrick Roy says, I look at the hatch escape like an overtime loss. It still gets you a point in the standings, just not the full two points.

    I don't think all escaped are equal, but all should give you some bump in MMR.

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    I think so, yeah. Similarly, a gate escape after the hatch has been closed (due to only one survivor remaining) should not grant a higher MMR.

    What if the gates are already powered and the hatch is closed though? As far as I'm concerned if you escape through a gate and you opened the gate, you should get mmr. At that point you've outplayed the killer no matter the circumstances around you getting through the gate.

  • Hatch shouldn't even give bp or let you keep your items. You can just hide in a corner the whole game doing nothing and it will still spawn. It's a mechanic that needs to be reworked, so that it will only spawn if you did well enough in the trial

  • You make a good point but I kind of doubt it's an oversight. Moreso just not something the devs care too much about.

  • @GoshJosh said:

    As you may or may not know, a survivor’s MMR is unchanged when they escape through the hatch. While I understand the reasoning for this when all other survivors have died, the exception to me is when other survivors have escaped through the exit gate(s).

    Sometimes a survivor chooses to hatch escape at this point in the game for extra blood points, a Rift challenge, and/or fun. It’s not due to the rest of the team dying, or being the only option of escape.

    So I ask BHVR and the community: should hatch escapes grant MMR to a survivor, when at least one other survivor has escaped through an exit gate?

    I think survivors should gain not gain MMR from escaping a match if they are the final survivor with all other 3 survivors dead, nor should the killer lose MMR, BUT if there is a least one other teammates that has escaped the trial and they escape through Exit Gates or Hatch they should gain MMR. Plus I feel like it would encourage more people to play for the team since gaining MMR requires playing for the team.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3243707#Comment_3243707

    Eeeeh i would be against that.

    It's one of the only reliable ways for a solo survivor to raise their mmr when they are stuck with bad teammates

    And it's in most maps stacked into the killers favor unless you bring perks for it

    Escaping through the hatch after the gates are open is a whole lot easier the escaping through the gate after hatch has been closed.

    They are not equal in the slightest

    This can also create reverse hatch standoffs, when the exit gates are too far away to patrol, where neither side wants to interact with the hatch. The survivor wants the killer to close hatch because the gate escape is more valuable, and the killer wants the survivor to get hatch so the survivor doesn’t get MMR.

  • @Coffeecrashing said:

    I think that if a survivor escapes after all the generators have been completed, it should grant MMR. But if a survivor escapes before all the generators have been completed, it should grant zero MMR. With this suggestion, hatch escapes and gate escapes are treated equally.

    The reason I specify that at least one other survivor should have already escaped through the exit gate, is because the game isn't over once the gates are powered. The killer can still prevent the survivors from escaping the trial, especially if they're using powerful endgame perks. That's why I believe the survivors should have at least one person make it all the way out an exit gate, in order for a hatch escape to grant MMR.

  • @GoshJosh said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3243760#Comment_3243760

    The reason I specify that at least one other survivor should have already escaped through the exit gate, is because the game isn't over once the gates are powered. The killer can still prevent the survivors from escaping the trial, especially if they're using powerful endgame perks. That's why I believe the survivors should have at least one person make it all the way out an exit gate, in order for a hatch escape to grant MMR.

    Ok, that seems fair