Please change the lights in Haddonfield - potential epilepsy issue

I don't know when this started, because I don't think it's been like this since the map rework, but maybe I only noticed it recently. There's a flickering bulb in the House of Pain gen room and the effect on the room's lighting is extreme. I'll put a link to a clip here.

Behaviour: "We had to remove flashlight clicking to prevent epileptic seizures." : deadbydaylight (reddit.com)

I have no history of photosensitivity and a high tolerance to flashing lights and I still have trouble with this. Tried to focus my camera on the gen only, but even that didn't work to stop the rapid screen flashing and eventually I just started to repair the gen with my eyes closed. It's really unpleasant and I can only imagine how dangerous this can potentially be for someone who's actually vulnerable to it.

Comments

  • I know that light -- that's a gen I can't repair because of it. There's one like that on Lery's too, IIRC. Most of the basement lights on Springwood pulse at a much slower rate, and I find that a lot better. I don't know why they can't all be like that.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    I personally quite like the atmosphere of flickering lights but I, of course, don't want anyone to be excluded.

    I think the best solution would be to just add a mode under the Accessibility tab called "Photosensitivity Mode" that:

    • Reduces the static effects of The Doctor's and Onryo's powers.
    • Reduces the intensity of light flickering on maps.
    • Darkens the blinded screen so it's less of a harsh change when playing on darker maps (e.g. make the whole screen a dark red rather than having a light blob in the middle).
    • Make the visuals of the Flashbang less intense.
    • etc.

    put it in accessibility setting, dont just change the lights

  • @IlliterateGenocide said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3229655#Comment_3229655

    put it in accessibility setting, dont just change the lights

    I don't want the lights to be removed - what I would like is so the flickering effect is gentle instead of hardcore strobing the entire room. Perhaps my memory is just wrong, but I remember it being more like that when new Haddonfield dropped.

  • @Laluzi said:

    I don't know when this started, because I don't think it's been like this since the map rework, but maybe I only noticed it recently. There's a flickering bulb in the House of Pain gen room and the effect on the room's lighting is extreme. I'll put a link to a clip here.

    Behaviour: "We had to remove flashlight clicking to prevent epileptic seizures." : deadbydaylight (reddit.com)

    I have no history of photosensitivity and a high tolerance to flashing lights and I still have trouble with this. Tried to focus my camera on the gen only, but even that didn't work to stop the rapid screen flashing and eventually I just started to repair the gen with my eyes closed. It's really unpleasant and I can only imagine how dangerous this can potentially be for someone who's actually vulnerable to it.

    I've been talking about this since Haddonfield release many,many times and even got @GoodBoyKaru to talk about it. So far we've gotten ZERO response. This happens on all the flickering lights in the game,but especially Haddonfield. The menus also flicker often at insane speeds. It's pain.

  • @kizuati said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/350827/please-change-the-lights-in-haddonfield-potential-epilepsy-issue

    I've been talking about this since Haddonfield release many,many times and even got @GoodBoyKaru to talk about it. So far we've gotten ZERO response. This happens on all the flickering lights in the game,but especially Haddonfield. The menus also flicker often at insane speeds. It's pain.

    @GoodBoyKaru said:

    I'm making this post for @kizuati as she's currently jailed and unable to create new threads.

    Reworked Haddonfield, inside basically every house with an incompleted generator, is an absolute nightmare for people with photosensitivity issues. Half of the lights flicker at an incredibly fast rate, while the others flicker incredibly slowly, with seemingly no middle ground.

    This is, naturally, pretty bad for people with photosensitivity issues. If you could standardise the flashing speeds and set them to flash so as not to irritate photosensitive people everywhere, it would be greatly appreciated.

    (and in case anyone decides to comment "just don't play the game", not a viable solution to the problem)

    It's been an issue since at the earliest May 12th, if not sooner.