Solo Queue and What It Sometimes Looks Like (Warning: Data)

AKA A semi-competent rise to Iri grade

I have no idea if anyone is interested or not but there is a lot of discussion on the forums about whether or not solo queue is playable or not. I'm in the camp that says solo queue feels fine. However, it's hard to know why someone says what they do unless you can see at times. As such, I made a list of 75 games and recorded them as well. I used both meme builds and serious builds as that's how I normally play.

My escape rate was 45.33% so a bit lower than what it feels like normally but still in the ballpark. An average of 3.85 gens were done per game (not all me obviously, this was by all survivors) before I either escaped or died.

Please keep in mind that I think, but have no way of verifying, that I'm mid MMR as a survivor. It felt a little bit rougher this month than others but part of that could have been that I rushed for Iri grade instead of taking my time as I normally do. I'm also not claiming that anyone else should feel their games are fine but a good question is why are they not fine? Expectations? MMR? Region? Strategies?

The list of the games is right here. It also has the video title and the start time in case anyone is interested. If you just want to see the raw data it's right here.

DbD Stats.xlsx

If you want to see the videos keep in mind there's no editing as I've never shared public videos before. Also, I have some good plays but you will also see me make a lot of mistakes, panic at times, and completely misplay the situation. As I said, I'm not a streamer, I don't claim to be good and I consider myself a middling solo queue survivor. Realistically, so are the majority of players and if anyone does want to see a realistic view of what survivor looks like for me take a look.

I'll post a link to the first game I was recording and you can just check the others from there. The build descriptions are in the info section of the videos and they are the only public videos I have so they should be easy to check from just clicking on the icon for my YouTube.

(1553) Dead by Daylight Stop the 3 gen! - YouTube

If somebody finds it useful it'll have been worth the effort but, if not, it was entertaining to do anyway.

Comments

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    AKA A semi-competent rise to Iri grade

    I have no idea if anyone is interested or not but there is a lot of discussion on the forums about whether or not solo queue is playable or not. I'm in the camp that says solo queue feels fine. However, it's hard to know why someone says what they do unless you can see at times. As such, I made a list of 75 games and recorded them as well. I used both meme builds and serious builds as that's how I normally play.

    My escape rate was 45.33% so a bit lower than what it feels like normally but still in the ballpark. An average of 3.85 gens were done per game (not all me obviously, this was by all survivors) before I either escaped or died.

    Please keep in mind that I think, but have no way of verifying, that I'm mid MMR as a survivor. It felt a little bit rougher this month than others but part of that could have been that I rushed for Iri grade instead of taking my time as I normally do. I'm also not claiming that anyone else should feel their games are fine but a good question is why are they not fine? Expectations? MMR? Region? Strategies?

    The list of the games is right here. It also has the video title and the start time in case anyone is interested. If you just want to see the raw data it's right here.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/X41QEFY9HMOA/dbd-stats.xlsx

    If you want to see the videos keep in mind there's no editing as I've never shared public videos before. Also, I have some good plays but you will also see me make a lot of mistakes, panic at times, and completely misplay the situation. As I said, I'm not a streamer, I don't claim to be good and I consider myself a middling solo queue survivor. Realistically, so are the majority of players and if anyone does want to see a realistic view of what survivor looks like for me take a look.

    I'll post a link to the first game I was recording and you can just check the others from there. The build descriptions are in the info section of the videos and they are the only public videos I have so they should be easy to check from just clicking on the icon for my YouTube.

    (1553) Dead by Daylight Stop the 3 gen! - YouTube

    If somebody finds it useful it'll have been worth the effort but, if not, it was entertaining to do anyway.

    I wish i had a solo q escape rate of 45% lol 80% of my solo q games end in 4ks. And we barely ever get gens finished. Guess having high skill mmr is nice. I've been playing for about a month and my team mates on solo q are usually pretty bad. Hooking as soon as possible before killer moves away, not doing gens and can't hold a chase for more than 20 seconds.

  • Solo Q is fine, the issue is SBMM or the mentality of some players.

    For example some people will quit/give up if it's a certain killer, map or they go down fast. You also have people trying to farm tome challenges which massively hinder the game.

    If you put 4 solos matched correctly who arent gonna give up and arent doing a tome challenge they will get on completely fine and probably do really well

  • I admire that you took the time to do the data.

    You might also want to include your region and normal time of play.

    Also (I only looked at your first video), did you watch the full matches play out or does the data only go until you die.

    Here are some other interesting figures pulled from your data if I'm following it correctly:

    Escape when Hatch Enabled: 11.76%

    Killer Domination (3 or less gens done): 33.33%

    Squash Game (2 gens or less done): 20%

    Odds that 5 gens would get finished and you would not survive: 13.33%

    -

    If you ever do something like this again I'd encourage you to add a column to separate out hatch escapes and what the total number of survivor who escaped was.

  • @HoodedWildKard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/347306/solo-queue-and-what-it-sometimes-looks-like-warning-data

    I wish i had a solo q escape rate of 45% lol 80% of my solo q games end in 4ks. And we barely ever get gens finished. Guess having high skill mmr is nice. I've been playing for about a month and my team mates on solo q are usually pretty bad. Hooking as soon as possible before killer moves away, not doing gens and can't hold a chase for more than 20 seconds.

    Thank you but I don't consider myself high skill; I can make some pretty embarrassing mistakes. If you watch game 18 against Pig you'll see me totally misplay myself multiple times. The one I titled Failing It As Meg sees me lose a lot with a strong build but The Revenge Of The Meg sees me look like I know what I'm doing. I also stop at pallets and get my bearings as I suck at navigating while looking behind me.

    I understand how you feel though. I got slaughtered non-stop at the beginning especially since I didn't use exhaustion perks as I wanted to learn how to run chases without exhaustion perks first. Short term pain for long term gain if you can stand it.

    If you don't mind me making a suggestion I think good perks are Deja Vu, Windows of Opportunity and Kindred especially when you're learning map layout and how to rescue a camped teammate.

    Sorry if this is so long but, if you're interested, here are some tips that I think helped me.

    (A) From my videos, you'll see I don't work on the first gen I see. This is because I know the most common gen layouts and I want to first break the potential 3 gen while resources are plenty.

    (B) I go to a different gen than my teammates unless they're on a potential 3 gen generator, one of us has Prove Thyself or there are only 2 survivors left. That way I avoid Discordance and survivors working on multiple gens at the same time makes it exponentially harder for the Killer.

    (C) Hook states are a resource. If I see a teammate on death hook in a bad position and I can spare a hook state I'll body block for them until I go down. It doesn't matter if I haven't gone down or if I have two hook states if I'm the last survivor; the next hook kills me anyway. If I can keep a teammate in the game by going on hook all of our chances to escape increases.

    (D) I do everything I can without throwing the game to not let my teammates drop two hook states from one down up to and including hook trading. My chances of escape rise the longer my teammates stay in the game as well.

    (E) Similarly, as soon as two people go down I stop what I'm doing to go for a rescue. If I'm unsure if it's unsafe to hook up I look for the Killer and set up my game plan. If I see from the aura the Killer has picked up the second person then the first person is good to be unhooked (or the Killer has to drop the second and let them wiggle free later).

    If I am one of the two people downed and I'm not on hook I crawl away so the Killer has to give an opportunity for the first to be rescued by hooking me or let me be eventually picked up.

    (F) I watch icons. Do I see a healthy teammate has gone to injured or the tentacles are waving around the Obsession? The Killer is occupied and I don't need to worry about stealth. Is someone on hook and someone just got injured? The unhooker might need help. Either that or the Killer is chasing someone else and it's safe to unhook.

    Also, if I don't have Kindred, I wait to see if someone gets unhooked by watching their icon. If it drops too much I go for the unhook to prevent my teammate from dropping two hook states.

    (G) DbD is time attrition. Whichever side is more efficient at doing their objectives win. Am I in a chase, healing or unhooking? No? Okay, I'm on a gen. Is someone about to drop two hook states? Forget waiting, I go for the hook trade.

  • @crogers271 said:

    I admire that you took the time to do the data.

    You might also want to include your region and normal time of play.

    Also (I only looked at your first video), did you watch the full matches play out or does the data only go until you die.

    Here are some other interesting figures pulled from your data if I'm following it correctly:

    Escape when Hatch Enabled: 11.76%

    Killer Domination (3 or less gens done): 33.33%

    Squash Game (2 gens or less done): 20%

    Odds that 5 gens would get finished and you would not survive: 13.33%

    -

    If you ever do something like this again I'd encourage you to add a column to separate out hatch escapes and what the total number of survivor who escaped was.

    Thank you, I will consider that. I did not stick around to see if my teammates got out on most games but I can consider that if I do this again. My region is North America West. I didn't record hatch escapes separately but that would make things easier. It's not as convenient but if you see I escaped but less than 5 gens were done I got a hatch escape.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/347306/solo-queue-and-what-it-sometimes-looks-like-warning-data

    Good stuff. I'll have to go back to Saturday and watch mine. I escaped more then half

    Thank you!

  • Here's a list of builds I used and their escape rates. Keep in mind this is a limited sample of games. My strongest build was anything built around a chassis of OTR, Deliverance, and Sprint Burst. (13/19 escapes or 68.4% escape rate) for whatever that's worth. That escape rate is, in my opinion, that high because I also play a lot of meme and fun builds because they're, well, fun so that leads to more deaths which would lower my MMR.

    Anyway, the builds are:

    Stop the 3 gen: OTR, Prove Thyself, Situational Awareness, Deja Vu (3/3 games, 100%) (link above)

    Secret Santa: OTR, Appraisal, Plunderer's Instinct, Ace In the Hole (0/2 games, 0%) (1553) Dead by Daylight Secret Santa - YouTube

    Everyone Out!: OTR, Borrowed Time, No One Left Behind, Unbreakable (3/8 games, 37.5%) (I think I lost the video, sorry)

    Protect the Tap (Parts I and II): OTR, Wiretap, Repressed Alliance, Lithe (2/5 games, 40%) (1553) Dead by Daylight Protect the Tap! - YouTube

    (1553) Dead by Daylight Protect The Tap Part 2 - YouTube

    And A Blind For You: OTR, Blast Mine, Flashbang, Residual Manifest (0/1 games, 0%) (1553) Dead by Daylight And A Blind For You - YouTube

    Can't Keep Me Down: OTR, Unbreakable, Soul Guard, Lithe (2/3 games, 66%) (1553) Dead by Daylight Can't Keep Me Down - YouTube

    Taking Things Seriously: OTR, Deliverance, Sprint Burst, Reassurance (4/5 games, 80%) (1553) Dead by Daylight TakingThings Seriously - YouTube

    I Suck At Sabo: OTR, Saboteur, Breakout, Empathy (1/4 games, 25%) (1553) Dead by Daylight I Suck At Sabo - YouTube

    Slightly Better Sabo: OTR, Saboteur, Distortion, Dead Hard (0/1 games, 0%), (1553) Dead by Daylight Slightly Better Sabo - YouTube

    Pick You Up: OTR, For the People, WGLF, Sprint Burst (2/5 games, 40%) (1553) Dead by Daylight Pick You Up - YouTube

    I See You!: OTR, Bond, Kindred, Open Handed (2/5 games, 40%) (1553) Dead by Daylight I See You! - YouTube

    Heals Go Brrrr: OTR, Botany Knowledge, We'll Make It, Self Care (1/5 games, 20%) (1553) Dead by Daylight Heals Go Brrr - YouTube

    Haddie Kaur Totem Hunter: OTR, Overzealous, Inner Healing, Either Spine Chill or Detective's Hunch (3/6 games, 50%) (1553) Dead by Daylight Haddie Kaur Totem Hunter - YouTube

    Laurie Sort Of Kind Of Tries to Loop: OTR, Deliverance, Sprint Burst, Decisive Strike (4/5 games, 80%) (1553) Dead by Daylight Laurie Sort of Kind of Loops - YouTube

    Failing It As Meg, The Revenge of the Meg: OTR, Deliverance, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline (5/9 games, 56%) (1553) Dead by Daylight Failing It As Meg - YouTube (1553) Dead by Daylight The Revenge of the Meg - YouTube

    Zarina Pips Up: OTR, For The People, Resilience, Sprint Burst (2/6 games, 33%) (1553) Dead by Daylight Zarina Pips Up - YouTube

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3195260#Comment_3195260

    Thank you but I don't consider myself high skill; I can make some pretty embarrassing mistakes. If you watch game 18 against Pig you'll see me totally misplay myself multiple times. The one I titled Failing It As Meg sees me lose a lot with a strong build but The Revenge Of The Meg sees me look like I know what I'm doing. I also stop at pallets and get my bearings as I suck at navigating while looking behind me.

    I understand how you feel though. I got slaughtered non-stop at the beginning especially since I didn't use exhaustion perks as I wanted to learn how to run chases without exhaustion perks first. Short term pain for long term gain if you can stand it.

    If you don't mind me making a suggestion I think good perks are Deja Vu, Windows of Opportunity and Kindred especially when you're learning map layout and how to rescue a camped teammate.

    Sorry if this is so long but, if you're interested, here are some tips that I think helped me.

    (A) From my videos, you'll see I don't work on the first gen I see. This is because I know the most common gen layouts and I want to first break the potential 3 gen while resources are plenty.

    (B) I go to a different gen than my teammates unless they're on a potential 3 gen generator, one of us has Prove Thyself or there are only 2 survivors left. That way I avoid Discordance and survivors working on multiple gens at the same time makes it exponentially harder for the Killer.

    (C) Hook states are a resource. If I see a teammate on death hook in a bad position and I can spare a hook state I'll body block for them until I go down. It doesn't matter if I haven't gone down or if I have two hook states if I'm the last survivor; the next hook kills me anyway. If I can keep a teammate in the game by going on hook all of our chances to escape increases.

    (D) I do everything I can without throwing the game to not let my teammates drop two hook states from one down up to and including hook trading. My chances of escape rise the longer my teammates stay in the game as well.

    (E) Similarly, as soon as two people go down I stop what I'm doing to go for a rescue. If I'm unsure if it's unsafe to hook up I look for the Killer and set up my game plan. If I see from the aura the Killer has picked up the second person then the first person is good to be unhooked (or the Killer has to drop the second and let them wiggle free later).

    If I am one of the two people downed and I'm not on hook I crawl away so the Killer has to give an opportunity for the first to be rescued by hooking me or let me be eventually picked up.

    (F) I watch icons. Do I see a healthy teammate has gone to injured or the tentacles are waving around the Obsession? The Killer is occupied and I don't need to worry about stealth. Is someone on hook and someone just got injured? The unhooker might need help. Either that or the Killer is chasing someone else and it's safe to unhook.

    Also, if I don't have Kindred, I wait to see if someone gets unhooked by watching their icon. If it drops too much I go for the unhook to prevent my teammate from dropping two hook states.

    (G) DbD is time attrition. Whichever side is more efficient at doing their objectives win. Am I in a chase, healing or unhooking? No? Okay, I'm on a gen. Is someone about to drop two hook states? Forget waiting, I go for the hook trade.

    Appreciate the advice, I am doing most of this already, i run windows a lot and can loop a fair few killers for a long time. Made a wesker ragequit once on rpd when i gave him the run around for long enough that the other survs finished 3 gens lol. And i definitely make an effort to try and avoid 3 gens. But yh i often see teammates making really bad unhooks and can't do anything about it.

    Like i remember one i messaged and asked why he unhooked my mate under the killers nose when they were on two hooks and being clearly tunneled. His response was rhat he was running borrowed time. Which would helpnif the killer hadn't been tunneling my friend hard, he just chased him and had him hooked and killed in less than 20 secs.

    I think my mmr just needs to settle but it's difficult when my teammates are such potatoes a lot pf the time. They either leave people to die on hook or just swarm hook the second killer sticks someone on there and they end up with 3/4 rapidly. It drags my performance down and i get hardly any escapes. Most of those end up being hatch games and I'd rather not run left behind on the regular. Plus factor in the amount of time I die to endgame perks like ######### NOED. My mmr is gonna be low for a while. But i haveuch better luck in swf games withy mates.

  • @HoodedWildKard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3195466#Comment_3195466

    Appreciate the advice, I am doing most of this already, i run windows a lot and can loop a fair few killers for a long time. Made a wesker ragequit once on rpd when i gave him the run around for long enough that the other survs finished 3 gens lol. And i definitely make an effort to try and avoid 3 gens. But yh i often see teammates making really bad unhooks and can't do anything about it.

    Like i remember one i messaged and asked why he unhooked my mate under the killers nose when they were on two hooks and being clearly tunneled. His response was rhat he was running borrowed time. Which would helpnif the killer hadn't been tunneling my friend hard, he just chased him and had him hooked and killed in less than 20 secs.

    I think my mmr just needs to settle but it's difficult when my teammates are such potatoes a lot pf the time. They either leave people to die on hook or just swarm hook the second killer sticks someone on there and they end up with 3/4 rapidly. It drags my performance down and i get hardly any escapes. Most of those end up being hatch games and I'd rather not run left behind on the regular. Plus factor in the amount of time I die to endgame perks like ######### NOED. My mmr is gonna be low for a while. But i haveuch better luck in swf games withy mates.

    Yeah, it's hard until you get good teammates. With my tips I think they help me escape more than playing selfishly would but, to be fair, I would play altruisticly anyway even if it got me killed more.

    As an example, in a 4E against Sadako on Temple of Purgation today, at endgame someone was being camped so I went for the save but had to take a hit, another survivor bodyblocked for me and took a hit so I didn't go down and then a third survivor took a hit so we could all get out. I see that sometimes in solo queue and those games are usually a 3 or 4E.

    Then, of course, I'll have games as well where I'm being hard tunneled and nobody will take a hit let alone hook trade for me. Those are typically 3 or 4Ks. C'est la vie.

    If you want to get out of low MMR quickly I'd say use your SWF. Coordination and teamwork will make a big difference. I'm hoping BHVR buffs Reassurance because I can normally tell which Killers got to mid-MMR by camping, tunneling and NOED because they got 3 spread out hooks or less typically and try to use those strategies.

    In my opinion, camping is too low skill floor in comparison to rescuing camped survivors and that's short term pain for the survivor and long term pain for the Killer who then eventually hits an MMR bracket where their chase skills are too underdeveloped to be able to camp effectively. I hope a buffed Reassurance would force low MMR Killers to chase more which, in the long term, would be more fun for everyone.

    Thanks for reading my stuff and I hope that's helpful.