Can a BHVR official PLEASE explain the current state of Shadowborn and FOV?

It's absurd! There's a perk that changes FOV and nothing else, and all it does is make it feel better to play. Countless people have made posts like this, but my point is: Can a community manager or developer please say SOMETHING about why it is like this, and if/when they will change it? Countless people would appreciate it, as a reworked shadowborn and an added FOV slider would make killer feel so much better without needing a perk. Competetive games like Rainbow 6 Siege already have a generous FOV slider, so it clearly won't negatively impact the game.

Please, may we have some feedback on this?

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @Akumakaji said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3191316#Comment_3191316

    I am more or less on your side, for I watched that video you posted and know understand your issue better. But one last thing to consider is this: yes, nearly every other pvp game has the option of a FoV slider, BUT in nearly all of this games the players are on equal footing and the game isn't asymmetric at its core. This is not issue of "terrorits got this weapon and swat team this weapon", but that their basic abilities are all the same: they move and see and aim all the same, so all players are equal. In DBD the killers tunnel vision is part of the core idea, I guess.

    Though today I played a lot with Shadowborn and due to the wider FoV I had a sense of "Need for Speed", ie it felt strangely addicting to zoom around the trials while I was actually just at my normal 115%. It didn't actually feel as that much of an advantage, but it was just one day. All in all, maybe everyone should play for a while with Shadowborn and get a fresh impression themselves. I somehow liked it, but tbh, nowhere would I slot this permanently in any loadout, unless I was playing a high mobility killer, were I can see this would give the highest value.

    Maybe shadowborn could get some sort of buff, so that those people, who need to equip it permanently, gain at least something out of it? Heh, we could stay in topic and not only make this perk a FoV slider, but also a gamma correction, so that you can actually see better in the dark. When I sometimes view some streamers I am always taken aback how bright and vibrant their games look, either my screen suxx or a lot of them use some "QoL gamma correction tech" <3 Oh well.

    First thank you for watching it, my number one stance is to educate more than argue with anyone, as I feel many people simply don't understand the impact these types of accessibility issues actually have on people, nor how design can be adapted to prevent them entirely. I understand the perspective difference making a balance situation out of an accessibility one, but as you mentioned, they aren't equal. While this would slightly hurt tactics specifically designed to exploit the specifically low FoV for the killer perspective, the inverse already has multiple advantageous tools that far exceed its worth: Being able to see around corners and over some obstacles that first person doesn't allow, the ability to see the red glow, and the inverse of not being able to see scratch marks inherently gives them pros and cons against each other. I have personal gripes with a lot of aspects like contrast and luminosity issues not remedied by the colorblind mode setting (which is exclusively a hue filter) as the setting did nothing to fix the issues some people have with many blood/texture combinations (which is still an issue that has more of an impact on those who are colorblind, regardless of the filter.) That said, I also acknowledge that being able to just make blood glow like basekit bloodhound would obviously give an unreasonable advantage unless tracking itself was reworked entirely, which is why I didn't campaign for the problem to be fixed further.

    This isn't an unreasonable advantage, though. If it allowed you to see over loops or provide any of the survivor PoV bonuses, that would be a different argument, but the only thing that being able to adjust the FoV would "break" is when you try to get so close to the killer you are outside of their line of sight cone. Since the cone gets bigger as it goes out, it has much less impact on someone trying to hide behind an obstacle. In fact, since higher FoVs distort your view comparatively and make it more "fish-eye" by comparison, you'd actually be more likely to miss subtle details like that, and also why it felt like you were going faster when it was increased. The only reasonable impact would be against tactics designed specifically to exploit the fact that the killer's ability to interact with things is tied directly to the center of their screen.

    That speed "feel" difference you mentioned is actually one of the big reasons it causes motionsickness, btw. Your body is fighting a battle between whether you're actually moving or not, and your senses are essentially arguing about it. The more they are out of alignment, the more an uncanny valley-esque reaction is invoked, which is why the many aspects of what your senses are perceiving makes such a difference. Its also why some remedies work better for some than others, it has to do with what does the best job at keeping our physiology in harmony.

  • I still think they should do a mode where Killer is 3rd person and Survivor is 1st. JUST FOR FUN ofc.

  • I think a slider idea is dumb, and a waste of effort. People are going to turn it all the way up for the advantage.

    Just do basekit Shadowborn and get this over with bhvr

  • @Rizzo said:

    Let's keep the discussion civil.

    It's ok to share your opinion, what is not ok is to belittle others for theirs, let's stay constructive, thank you.

    That moment when you see a higher up respond to an important post and its just a "calm down"


    oof everytime

1 2 3 ›