I miss the old prestige model...
Title.
I like the BP reduction, and the (attempted focus) away from the grind. However, the new system feels so overwhelming and unnecessary.
100 levels on every character and killer just feels insane... Like, what's the point after p3/p9? I'm really only playing to get their perks and bloodies anyway. I don't want to sink years of my life trying to 100 everyone.
The old one provided both at a fair rate with a reasonable goal. Can someone illustrate how the new one is better? (Minus the resets and increased cost of course)
Comments
Prestiging after p100 is just for clout - to show off dedication to certain characters. Don't bother if you don't care about that stuff. Personally i get all my characters to p3 and then the ones i care about i advance to p9 - should i need more items on that character i will level them up further.
Then don't? Nobody expects you to get p100 on everyone. After p3 its most just presiteiging and leveling who you main like.
But it's much less satisfying then the old model where I could reach a reasonable solid 3rd stage and then be finished with the arbitrary numbers. As a completionist, it's a nightmare to have potentially years of work to max out my characters as opposed to months.
I'm a completionist myself, but I guess I'm not as much of one as I used to think, because I don't understand this stance. P100 has never looked like a goal to me. It's just a cap, a maximum. The devs could have left it to be infinite but didn't, probably because they wanted prestige icons and didn't want to have to design them beyond p100. Hell, there might be some designer there right now, sketching out ideas for more icons so in a couple years they can up it to p1000.
The point of this wasn't to give players a new reachable goal, but to give players a cap they won't reach anytime soon that way the grind can be an unending competition. Before, only matches contained a competitive element, and grinding was just a means to an end. Now grinding itself is also a competitive sport with a visible number attached to it.
Yeah... no.
I don't see it as anything other than a currency sink that offers no real value to the player. No one cares how high yours or anyone else's prestige is. That doesn't matter in MMR anyways.
The old system coincided perfectly as you unlocked the perks and bloodies at the same time. Ending at 3 was reasonable as your meaningful BP sink into each character went towards those and ended roughly around the end of the 3rd level. From then on, you had all the important stuff. You could keep purchasing for new perks, add-ons, and items as needed though.
Looking over the character screen (survivor or killer) and seeing loads of p3's and then one or two p90's or above is an incredibly frustrating thought knowing that I'll have to spend god knows how long to attempt to max them all. And that's not considering adding new characters or if (like you said) they raise the prestige cap.
There was nothing wrong with the old cap, it provided an achievable goal, and rewarded the player fairly for their time sunk into the character. The new one is atrociously high and gives no functional value after 3 (or 9 if you count bloodies).
No one cares how high yours or anyone else's prestige is. That doesn't matter in MMR anyways.
You'd be surprised how many people are suckered in by this meaningless number. The moment their status is shown to other players, they feel the need to raise that status, even if it's completely pointless.
I was never saying I agreed with what BHVR's done. It's just... this is why they did it. They didn't do it for us. They did it to keep people grinding endlessly forever.
I've complained about the new prestige system from day one. I simply hate my prestige being shown to other players. I don't care about the number, and I don't want other people seeing my number. I'm not competitive in that way.
Then how do you not understand my position?
You basically just agreed with everything in my last comment. If you are so against the new system and it's resulting effects, can you illustrate why you disagree with my initial post?
I said I don't understand the feeling of needing to reach p100. I'm a completionist in that I complete every Rift, I do all the Tome Challenges, I grab every dumb charm, but when I look at p100 I see an unreachable goal that's meant to trick players into getting invested in a never-ending grind. So I look at it as a cap, a ceiling. My goal is still to just keep P3ing everyone to get their tier 3 perks unlocked on all characters.
For me, it's a win because I don't lose all my stuff when prestiging, now, and the tier 3 perks of previous characters are available automatically immediately on new characters. That part I like. What I don't like is the attempt at making players competitive to prestige. It feels manipulative, especially since I can't opt out of showing my prestige levels.
I was never trying to say that the new one is better for you. I was just telling you why BHVR did it: they hugely value the grind, as they seem to think it's the only thing that keeps players around. They lessened the grind that's necessary for unlocking perks, taken away some of the RNG involved, so to compensate for any loss to the grind they created p100 and started showing prestige levels to foster competition among players and get them invested. Not only would BHVR never risk truly lessening the grind, but they actually increased it. At least, they increased it if you care about that kind of thing.
The new prestige system is better for BHVR and for their goal of using the grind to keep everyone sucked in. Though, I'll give it credit where it's due: seeing someone with a p100 Ada saved me from a match with an obvious cheater. That's a nice bonus.
I don't feel the need to reach p100. In fact, I abhor the idea of wasting that much time for one small aspect of this game.
I did however, feel the urge to p3 all characters under the old system. As to me, that felt like a tangible, worthy goal to strive toward given the benefits and mental satisfaction of having my characters maxed.
For the rest, it sounds like we're in complete agreement.
BHVR has intentionally made the grind worse, under the guise of making it better.
I did however, feel the urge to p3 all characters under the old system. As to me, that felt like a tangible, worthy goal to strive toward given the benefits and mental satisfaction of having my characters maxed.
I was working on P3ing as many as I could. I had most killers and a bunch of survivor p3'd on the old system. I held back on a few survivors because they had event items/offerings that I hated to lose, and it made me a little bummed that I'd probably never p3 everyone because of that. Every new character got p3'd as quickly as possible, though. It felt nicely rewarding to get the new ones to P3.
The rewarding goal I really miss is the BBQ 4-stack. That was the big one for me. It was a nice reachable and rewarding goal to have every match. God, losing that hurts; not sure matches will ever feel rewarding enough for me to return to playing regularly.
Yeah, BHVR is not good when it comes to rewarding players. They don't seem to understand the addictive nature of attainable goals that feel satisfying and rewarding to achieve; instead, BHVR relies on grinding and frustration, which can suck players in for a while but absolutely cause burnout. Even a bunch of their Tome Challenges reflect this bad philosophy of theirs.
I didn't even play killer until after the 6.1 patch, but now it's almost unbearable to think of going back to solo q in its current state. The loss of WGLF and BBQ stax hit both sides hard for BP gains.
Don't get me started on the Tome challenges. Of course I love the idea of them, but a lot of them basically require you throwing matches to obtain. And like you said, some are incredibly grindy.
BHVR seriously needs to take a second look at the fallout from these last few patches. The game and marketplace are in quite a rough state and I can foresee a massive player drop if they don't find ways to balance the gameplay and reward system. My heart goes out to those still playing solo q in fall 2022.