The Matchmaking Incentives Are Not Working The Way BHVR Said They Do
So remember when BHVR said that the incentives are based on the amount of players in the role,region and your MMR bracket?
Matchmaking incentives are unique to you and dependent on your matchmaking ratings and region. Developer Update | June 2022
So.. I just plain do not believe that this is the case and I'm calling on the devs to explain how this could happen. I'm a very low MMR survivor - I die a lot as I usually goof around and run meme builds and play primarily solo,a notoriously bad idea if you want to live. As killer,I should be in a decently high MMR bracket,I get lots of kills and all the survivors I face have lots and lots of hours and really high prestige levels are common.
Did everyone quit or something? How could solo queue be unfun? /s
Despite the disparity in my MMR,I only ever see an incentive on one of the roles,which makes little sense,how is there never a deficit of low MMR survivors at the same time as high MMR killers or vice versa?
That is highly unlikely.
You know what's also weird? Every Killer you play has different MMR,but BHVR just applies it to the role,period. Either they're ignoring MMR or per-killer MMR is completely useless and abritrarily limited us to switch Killers in the lobby.
I have a clear preference of some killers over others and have a much higher MMR bracket on some of them.
This particular lady faces the highest caliber survivors that there is.
The TL;DR of this thread is that it looks like BHVR couldnt make a MMR based incentive system and instead based on it on the plain ratio of survivor : killers in a region.
I would like a dev to comment on this,because this makes no sense. If MMR is truly taken into account,there should be incentives on both sides for people with vastly different ratings and different incentives per killer*.
*If someone is going to tell me that they just average the MMR and go off that,how about we do that for Killer in general and just stop locking people out of switching characters?
By the way - bring back the incentives being multiplicative.




Comments
I don't know what you're talking about, I'm drowning in BPs. Good enough incentive to me.
the fact that they spent two years thinking about a new matchmaking system,made a dumbed down system compared to their old one speaks enough.
they spent more time actively making things that are worse in gauging skill.
@kizuati oh absolutely - I remember being very pleased and interested to see what they did with the emblem system, I was like "oh wow, so they've literally broken down each task into different categories, and laid out precisely and clearly what is considered a skillful action vs. what you should avoid doing, very nice" only for them to go "well never mind all of that, we're not going to use it anymore, and we're going to hide the new system from you so we cannot be evaluated or criticized."
-sad Entity noises-
Hi. I am significantly better at Survivor than most of the people I SWF with. I was having +100% killer bonus earlier tonight. Nothing for Survivor. My wife using the exact same modem as I am, had a +100% survivor bonus. It absolutely does take your MMR into account.
Now if you want to argue that the MMR system itself is broken, I doubt you'll get too many people to disagree with you, but the incentives definitely are based on your personal SBMMR.
BHVR can we please get a comment on all points made here at some point?
Yesterday evening I went up against a ttv so I checked out his vod after the match to see his POV. I saw he got 100% killer but at the same time I got 100% survivor. Not sure what sort of explanation could lead to both roles getting 100%
I think there is a lot simpler explanation:
1: I've never heard of anyone seeing bonuses on both survivor and killer, so they just go to what the most needed pref is.
2: For killers, yeah they probably either average or look at what you have recently been playing. Does that mean you could see a boost and then play a killer in an MMR and still have a wait? Yeah, but I'm not sure how they'd do anything different.
3: Given your situation, high MMR for killer, low for survivors: the most obvious explanation is that low MMR is always in desperate need of survivors and that's going to override the killer no matter the situation.
-
As for a couple of other points
As for getting a reply, I don't think the person who does the MMR is on the forums. I've seen posts from BHVR staff about having to talk to the guy who does it to get an answer.
"Killer-specific MMR" is the biggest crock around.
If your killer MMR is too low, it will just take a minute for the "bracket expansion system" to decide that they don't actually care about MMR afterall and match you with somebody way outside your range anyway.
And worst of all: your MMR for brand new killers you've never played before? Essentially starts at your highest level.
Never mind that killer-specific MMR was sold as "you don't have to get blasted apart trying to learn the power of a new killer, which should encourage people to try out characters they've never played before." That was just a flat-out lie. Want to try out a brand new killer? Congrats survivor team: you get a potato to clown on for 4-6 minutes.
My killers have wildly varying MMRs between those who are meme builds only and win-streak builds only though. That's the thing that's most weird for me