Is it really wrong to play like that ... ?
Is it wrong to hide from the killer and wait for the others to die when finishing the gens feels like certain death?
Context:
It was Coal Tower, playing Huntress. At the start of the trial I identified the survivor spread and opted to go for a 3 gens. The game goes on, one dies, 3 are on death hook and I have my gens on the opposite side of he tower and a line of sight to all of them. My only down-side was that there were protections all around. The survivors have attempted several hit and runs but couldn't push fast enough and ultimately went down ... except one who stopped trying and stayed away after a run or two. That Claudette ended-up leaving through the hatch.
In the end game chat, the survivor I considered the most skilled of the bunch expressed her dissatisfaction with the unhelpfulness of that Claudette. Note that they all had a score in the 20k range and that without her escape, the Claudette would be third on the roaster.
Having been let down by teammates, I would usually agree with her however the alternative was pushing for a gen hoping to dodge the second hatchet and she already knew she couldn't do that well enough.
So, although on the cowardly side, wasn't this the only good choice she could do?
Comments
As someone who has been muted for suggesting you hide in a scenario where the killer slugs for the 4k. Apparently it is against the rules, they consider it griefing if you hide from the killer, even if it means you would just be handing them a 4k.
It’s not against rules to hide in this scenario. The slugged one will bleed out eventually and then it’s hatch game, so it won’t be considered taking the game hostage.
it is against the rules if the last 2 (or even more) survivors just hide and don’t progress gens at all as the game can’t find an end in this case.
I can only tell you why I was muted for a week, my entire sentence was along the lines of "out of spite I hide against killers who slug for 4ks", and I was told to not encourage people to grief. It is against the rules to hide against killers and not attempt to do gens or other objectives.
Mods, I was soft banned on the forums for a week. The exact reason was "Refusing to participate to the normal gameplay is against the rules."
'Wrong'?
Depends how you want to use the word.
In one sense, yes - she wasn't playing to the 'spirit' of the game, in that she stopped trying to win and instead played to stall, in the hopes of getting hatch (or, more likely, just to BM the killer - it's not uncommon for survivors to play hide and seek when they 3gen themselves).
In another sense, no - she wasn't exactly violating the rules of the game.
If I had been that Claudette, I'd have done my best to win - and if that means taking an L and moving to the next game, so be it.
I don't know but if it's "wrong" to wait for the others to die then why create perks like sole survivor or low profile ?
It's become clear long ago BHVR themselves have no consensus on most "offenses": there is a huge gray zone of actions which some BHVR employees consider bannable and others deem perfectly fine, while most don't even care. I've created several threads here with questions about specific game situations asking whether or not it's allowed, including that infamous end-game survivor vs survivor hatch standoff, I've never got an official comment on that. When people ask the devs about such things on streams and somehow don't get ignored, comments of one dev will directly contradict to comments of another. I guess the real answer to all such questions is "the devs have no consensus and probably don't care enough to create one".
you are saying she stopped trying to win when she literally tried AND succeeded?
just because you prefer to lose instead of going for hatch doesn’t mean that is the spirit of the game. There are perks specifically designed for this playstyle and the game is intentionally designed to be able to play for yourself as survivor instead of as a team..
This is all part of the one main flaw I think DbD has in terms of design - they tried to build it as a semi-cooperative game and semi-cooperative designs rarely work well. It invariably leads to people not agreeing on whether they are a team or not, what constitutes a win for the “team”, players who aren’t personally doing well sandbagging everybody else or ragequitting since they feel they have personally already “lost”, and so on.
It’s why the official DbD boardgame for example specifically decided to go with the survivors clearly winning or losing as a group and not as individuals each escaping. And why the devs mentioned in one of their update blogs they are looking into adjusting MMR to treat the survivors as a team that all go up or down together based on how many survivors escape (so for example if you die but in the process everybody else escaped you all go up, and likewise if you hide all game and everybody else dies you go down too.) I’m hoping they follow through on that change and maybe even expand on that idea, anything that shifts the game more towards the survivors clearly being an actual team with a clear victory goal for the group is a good thing in my opinion.
I've definitely had that same situation happen though when I'm killer, and someone is refusing to do gens at all when I'm chasing someone else around for a few minutes. However you said "others" so does that mean there were more than 1 other survivor left? You could be doing something more productive than just waiting around? Totems or something?
Why would that survivor go for the save? It's a choice between 3k and 4k here, you most likely won't finish all the gens with just two of you. Moreover, skill based matchmaking tells that only escapes matter, so it's the only good option for the other survivor to just go for the hatch/gates alone. Don't blame the players who try to play efficiently, blame the game design and SBMM.
my teammates actually getting punished for doing nothing while i do the work? that sounds like heaven.
hatch doesn't increase your mmr only exit gate escapes.
Did I say they should go for the save? No, I said do something productive to get extra points, like totems?