Unhook grabs from healthy aren't a fun mechanic

It's unfun to miss them as killer, it's unfun to get grabbed for survivor, sure it punishes late hook rescues, but the way to prevent rescues should be to go out and keep players injured.

I know some killers can camp with power, but this mechanic lets every killer camp hook for grabs. Does anyone genuinely enjoy the "spam unhook game"? I certainly hate it, both from the survivor perspective and killer perspective.

In the endgame, sometimes you have to camp. But if you hooked a survivor so close to the gate that they can get out with a simple unhook, you should be punished for that. Besides, with the buffs killers should have a person dead by endgame anyway, so it's fine that they're punished if they don't have it.

What do you guys think? I hate it.

Comments

  • Fun is a useless metric when it comes to balancing

  • I hate when I start the grab, it gets cancelled, they get the unhook, and I barely get a hit and they both run away...

  • There is no 'stand off' mechanic in this game that's fun, whether it was the Hatch or unhooks.

    Removing healthy hook grabs would seriously put a limit on the amount a camper can gain from that tactic, It would basically make hook trades more likely, but remove the possibility of two free hooks. I don't see what's wrong with that.

  • Personally I think being able to grab a healthy survivor adds more fun because you have to mindgame the killer into hitting you when they think you've committed so they only hit you instead. Trying to get the timing right as killer is fun as well.

  • More or less it adds gameplay though.

  • It’s an unhealthy mechanic because grabs are still not validated properly. A killer can only make a grab attempt if the killer’s client sees that a survivor is doing an unhook animation, but it won’t validate the grab until the killer’s grab attempt reaches the server. This means that the window of time where a successful grab can be made, is less than the window of time a survivor is making an unhook attempt. This is why unhook spamming is so effective.

  • The only thing I find silly about hook grabs is that weird stalemate of grab-cancel-grab-cancel that you get into. It looks and feels kind of dumb.

    I have no particular opinion on them in terms of balance but if someday hook grabs were changed to eliminate those bizarre standoff animations I wouldn’t complain.