Rules of etiquette?

Maybe I don't play enough PvP games these days, but I've never found one with these unofficial rules of etiquette for how you play against your opponent.  Is this unique to DbD?

Comments

  • Yep, though imaginary rules are everywhere.

    In fact it was way worse in CSGO and TF2.
    *Laughs in Phlogistinator and ZEUS taser*
  • More often than not in a non competitive coop only environnement like the Monster Hunter franchise their is untold rules of etiquette people will follow them.
    For example in Monster Hunter it is considered EXTREMELY rude to join a lobby and try to force people to do the mission you want to do, if you do that you are extremely likely to get kicked of the lobby.

    Will unofficial rules of etiquette are also called upon in competitive/vs game they are more often than not illegitimate and used to harass people because they took a character that is considered bad

  • But taking a character consider bad (like some in Overwatch or other team games) is a rule for playing WITH people, not against.  That's what I don't get about this game - people getting all bent out of shape and trying to influence the play style of the people they are versus. 
  • There really are not any "unofficial rules" with this game. 
    I'm pretty sure that they all come from Survivors and all demand killers play certain ways as I've never seen a rule from a killer.
    In other words I don't see both sides agreeing here, and Killers don't particularly benefit.

    Don't let people tell you how to play. Just don't use exploits, or bugs, and such. 
  • But taking a character consider bad (like some in Overwatch or other team games) is a rule for playing WITH people, not against.  That's what I don't get about this game - people getting all bent out of shape and trying to influence the play style of the people they are versus. 
    Its called scrub mentality.
    Play Demo or Firebug in KF2 and witness how they only start votekicking once they realise that you are top fragging.

    In DBD you are not allowed to camp, tunnel, loop or save or you get reactions like "HAVE FUN GETTING BANNED, MY BROTHER WORKS FOR BHVR!"
  • @ChesterTheMolester said:
    Its called scrub mentality.
    Play Demo or Firebug in KF2 and witness how they only start votekicking once they realise that you are top fragging.

    I had a guy ######### about me having the highest number of kills as Firebug, saying it was "just because you're playing an AoE class and are always alone". I just asked him "So why don't you do it?" Immediately shut him up.

  • Orion said:

    @ChesterTheMolester said:
    Its called scrub mentality.
    Play Demo or Firebug in KF2 and witness how they only start votekicking once they realise that you are top fragging.

    I had a guy ######### about me having the highest number of kills as Firebug, saying it was "just because you're playing an AoE class and are always alone". I just asked him "So why don't you do it?" Immediately shut him up.

    Happened to me even when i was close to the team.
    I remember one time i switched to Pulveriser Berserker to take out FPs and Scrakes after they blamed me the Firebug only to see the entire team die to trash despite having commandos and supports.
    KF2 in a nutshell.

  • There really are not any "unofficial rules" with this game. 
    I'm pretty sure that they all come from Survivors and all demand killers play certain ways as I've never seen a rule from a killer.
    In other words I don't see both sides agreeing here, and Killers don't particularly benefit.

    Don't let people tell you how to play. Just don't use exploits, or bugs, and such. 
    @Rebel_Raven
    I've been told by killers what outfits i shouldn't use. P3 claudette for instance.
  • Vietfox said:
    There really are not any "unofficial rules" with this game. 
    I'm pretty sure that they all come from Survivors and all demand killers play certain ways as I've never seen a rule from a killer.
    In other words I don't see both sides agreeing here, and Killers don't particularly benefit.

    Don't let people tell you how to play. Just don't use exploits, or bugs, and such. 
    @Rebel_Raven
    I've been told by killers what outfits i shouldn't use. P3 claudette for instance.
    Yeah, you are right.
    There's some lighter bitching from the killer community. It happens, but it doesn't feel as common as survivors, nor as numerous in topics.


  • I mean, getting camped and tunneled isn't fun, but I don't fault the killers.  It's BHV fault for making it both viable and boring.  If it was quicker to get into another game and didn't feel like such a waste of time and items, it wouldn't really bother me 
  • They are the survivor rules.

    Better learn them quickly or be forever called a camper as soon as you enter the map... Wait..

  • Rules of civility are only for civil societies. DBD is far from a civil society. Has little to do with pvp/vs and more to do with the type of people attracted to BHVR's mess of a game. Obviously it has potential, but way too many holes to allow griefing play styles.

  • @Rebel_Raven said:
    Vietfox said:


    Rebel_Raven said:

    There really are not any "unofficial rules" with this game. 
    I'm pretty sure that they all come from Survivors and all demand killers play certain ways as I've never seen a rule from a killer.
    In other words I don't see both sides agreeing here, and Killers don't particularly benefit.

    Don't let people tell you how to play. Just don't use exploits, or bugs, and such. 

    @Rebel_Raven
    I've been told by killers what outfits i shouldn't use. P3 claudette for instance.

    Yeah, you are right.
    There's some lighter bitching from the killer community. It happens, but it doesn't feel as common as survivors, nor as numerous in topics.

    I feel the same.

    Bitching about game's balance is something that is special for killers.

    Bitching about how a person should play the game is something that is special for survivors.

    Don't get me wrong, both sides complain about balance and playstyle.

  • Maybe I don't play enough PvP games these days, but I've never found one with these unofficial rules of etiquette for how you play against your opponent.  Is this unique to DbD?
    Most Pvp games have them games dark soul, for honour hell even Pokemon has them.

    It's pretty much the play the way I want you to or ######### off rules
  • @Aari_Piggy66 said:
    It's pretty much the play the way I want you to or [BAD WORD] off rules

    And almost always to the disadvantage of the other person, since you try to limit whatever advantages they might hold over you. Turns matches of skill into dice rolls.

  • Orion said:

    @Aari_Piggy66 said:
    It's pretty much the play the way I want you to or [BAD WORD] off rules

    And almost always to the disadvantage of the other person, since you try to limit whatever advantages they might hold over you. Turns matches of skill into dice rolls.

    Pretty much, sadly people will never stop pulling these rules out of their ass so they can get easy wins