Anyone else getting bored of the recent tomes?

I'm not talking about the event ones but more the base tomes. They seem to get more and more grindy as they go on and it's just off putting.

Is it just me that feels this way? I don't care if it asks me to use a perk, or do X in a trial but does every challenge have to take multiple trials even if you're lucky and do all possible in the match?

For example: 15 totems, that's 3 games minimum... god forbid if you get chased, other people get them or you dont throw the game to get them, you could be doing far more than 3 games for a basic and boring challenge.

Iri evader 3 times, I cant even get this and bits not because my chases are bad but games arent long enough. Did a 4 gen chase and still got gold...

I get some challenges are easier as other roles but not everything needs to be a boring grind

Comments

  • I just save the really grindy ones for after the rift closes, that way they're just bonus BP with no rush to finish them, they happen when they happen.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    For the most part no, I don't have an issue with most of them. More-so I have an issue with some of the challenges. Like escaping with No-Mither or staying near the killer while injured, etc. Stuff you have to do that actively hinders your team. The tomes generally aren't an issue otherwise and I like them, imo.

    Hiding near the killer for a measly 20 seconds while injured is pretty easy with Iron Will. You simply line yourself up for an unhook as the killer is carrying them. Also done the 60s ones as David in a single game, without throwing.

  • I prefer the challenges that are ones you do in match anyway over the ones that have you throw matches or require too many variables to go your way if you're not in a 4swf to complete.

  • @bm33 said:

    I prefer the challenges that are ones you do in match anyway over the ones that have you throw matches or require too many variables to go your way if you're not in a 4swf to complete.

    I like how challenges force you to change your set up, like the using Iron Will mentioned above. Passive gain is fine too but variety is always fun.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3008308#Comment_3008308

    That's great, and shows you have high skill, but a lot of the more average players are going to struggle/throw trying to do these types of challenges. I've seen multiple people trying to do the no-mither challenge and get destroyed and usually killed in the match.

    Needing to use only No Mither is indeed a massive challenge that is going to hinder your teammates ability to progress as well as making you a target.

    But then, they are challenges. If you consider them entirely optional, and ideally to be used in a SWF so all four survivors know what they're getting into, it's fine.

    If it didn't come with the 'no other perks' qualifier I probably would have attempted it by now with an anti-hook build, Flip Flop, Boil Over, Unbreakable and Petrified Oak.

  • Yep. More grindy, more throwy than ever before. They don't listen and/or care what the community keeps telling them about the Rift.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3008309#Comment_3008309

    I like how challenges force you to change your set up, like the using Iron Will mentioned above. Passive gain is fine too but variety is always fun.

    I don't mind the ones that have you use a different perk but when you have to hide by the killer for a minute of the game or be the one to escape through the hatch with the hatch only showing when you're the last one I'm not a fan - unless your 4swf odds are you or your teammate is throwing the game to get that challenge done. Use Stake Out to get a bunch of great skill checks or Balanced Landing to escape a chase after falling from a great height or even escape a match/get kills using specific load out I think are good challenges to have you use perks you don't normally use.

  • I don't mind much about those that take a bit longer in ammount of items (like do X gens, heal X times), but I do have a huge problem with those stupidly designed like "in a SINGLE match stay hidden within 10 meters of the killer for 60 seconds", "unhook someone who unhooked you 4 times", "escape using only 1 specific perk". Some of these are ridiculous because there's no way of tracking if you're even making progress at a match, and also you can't tell if you already reached the goal before deciding to play normally and ignore the challenge. Others are just not well thought in terms of how many times you can do a certain thing in a match, and how many players could even do the same thing/challenge at the same time.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I want them to add more interesting challenges. They're missing out on easy ones. For example, The Legion has two challenges (three if you count the challenge from the 3rd Tome) that asks you to do the most basic thing, hit Survivors. There's no creativity. Why not create a challenge that asks you to vault over a pallet and then hit a Survivor? Maybe one asks you to specifically put a Survivor into the dying state during Feral Frenzy.

    Repetitive soul-less challenges are making Tomes boring. Make them more interesting.

    Yeah I'd rather stuff like that, like let's be honest getting totems isnt hard it's just long and boring. It's why I dont mind games that force me to use a perk as its actually encouraging something different. A challenge like you suggested would make me play legion

  • @vanGlasse1 said:

    I don't mind much about those that take a bit longer in ammount of items (like do X gens, heal X times), but I do have a huge problem with those stupidly designed like "in a SINGLE match stay hidden within 10 meters of the killer for 60 seconds", "unhook someone who unhooked you 4 times", "escape using only 1 specific perk". Some of these are ridiculous because there's no way of tracking if you're even making progress at a match, and also you can't tell if you already reached the goal before deciding to play normally and ignore the challenge. Others are just not well thought in terms of how many times you can do a certain thing in a match, and how many players could even do the same thing/challenge at the same time.

    @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3008312#Comment_3008312

    I don't mind the ones that have you use a different perk but when you have to hide by the killer for a minute of the game or be the one to escape through the hatch with the hatch only showing when you're the last one I'm not a fan - unless your 4swf odds are you or your teammate is throwing the game to get that challenge done. Use Stake Out to get a bunch of great skill checks or Balanced Landing to escape a chase after falling from a great height or even escape a match/get kills using specific load out I think are good challenges to have you use perks you don't normally use.

    @[Deleted User] said:

    For the most part no, I don't have an issue with most of them. More-so I have an issue with some of the challenges. Like escaping with No-Mither or staying near the killer while injured, etc. Stuff you have to do that actively hinders your team. The tomes generally aren't an issue otherwise and I like them, imo.

    See I'm the opposite, I'd rather the no mither challenge than these tedious super long ones that dont change gameplay but take ages to complete if I'm not throwing the game.

    I'm not saying I want them all like the no mither but at least it made me use a new perk and play differently and still aim to win unlike the green glyphs which took 45 games to get lol, annoying as challenge

  • @GoshJosh said:

    Yep. More grindy, more throwy than ever before. They don't listen and/or care what the community keeps telling them about the Rift.

    Yeah I'd much rather simple sort challenges that encourage me to play X character or use X perks. I have these long grindy challenges like break 50 pallets, do 15 totems, 12 glyphs etc.

    They just dont change the gameplay and take so long without throwing

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3008315#Comment_3008315

    Needing to use only No Mither is indeed a massive challenge that is going to hinder your teammates ability to progress as well as making you a target.

    But then, they are challenges. If you consider them entirely optional, and ideally to be used in a SWF so all four survivors know what they're getting into, it's fine.

    If it didn't come with the 'no other perks' qualifier I probably would have attempted it by now with an anti-hook build, Flip Flop, Boil Over, Unbreakable and Petrified Oak.

    Not 100% this tome, but I feel that the event tome is rather close. The event tome was mostly okay, but I am quite taken aback by the crass divergence in difficulty between this chapters characters: Haddi just has to escape one trial in whatever way you manage. The Dredge on the other hand hast to hit 5 survivors within 15s seconds of emerging of a locker - ok thats not that bad ... oh wait ... 5 TIMES during a single trial!

  • @Akumakaji said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3008318#Comment_3008318

    Not 100% this tome, but I feel that the event tome is rather close. The event tome was mostly okay, but I am quite taken aback by the crass divergence in difficulty between this chapters characters: Haddi just has to escape one trial in whatever way you manage. The Dredge on the other hand hast to hit 5 survivors within 15s seconds of emerging of a locker - ok thats not that bad ... oh wait ... 5 TIMES during a single trial!

    Still rather that than break 50 pallets lol

  • Ah, that one is absurd, too. But you could always burn a puzzle piece with Nemesis and just chase survivors.

  • @Akumakaji said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3008318#Comment_3008318

    Not 100% this tome, but I feel that the event tome is rather close. The event tome was mostly okay, but I am quite taken aback by the crass divergence in difficulty between this chapters characters: Haddi just has to escape one trial in whatever way you manage. The Dredge on the other hand hast to hit 5 survivors within 15s seconds of emerging of a locker - ok thats not that bad ... oh wait ... 5 TIMES during a single trial!

    Yeah that's not that bad either, I had no problem with that one. If you're using your power, particularly during nightfall, it's going to happen, 15 seconds is a long time in dbd.

    The only one I'm having any issues with whatsoever is getting hit in a vault, but I've got 2 of those so the other 2 will happen eventually.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3008826#Comment_3008826

    Yeah that's not that bad either, I had no problem with that one. If you're using your power, particularly during nightfall, it's going to happen, 15 seconds is a long time in dbd.

    The only one I'm having any issues with whatsoever is getting hit in a vault, but I've got 2 of those so the other 2 will happen eventually.

    that vault one I got by playing a little bit subpar ^^ Its not exactly throwing the game, but you get if faster done by making an effort to vault a little bit delayed.

  • If I have to do another coop gen challenge that isn't gradual progression and requires a gen from 0 to 100.....