What If All Survivors Were Unique

Imagine a universe where in Dead by Daylight, each Survivor is a unique character. You HAVE to use their three personal perks, plus one extra of your choosing to fill the fourth slot.

[QUICK DISCLAIMER] I'm not saying this SHOULD be a feature before people rant about how terrible the idea is, I just wanna discuss how it would impact the game, I know for a fact that it would probably make the game even less enjoyable.

Who do you think would be the most meta character? Who would be the worst in the entire game?

I think it would be interesting to see how they balance the game around this. Each character would have a very specific way to play them in order to achieve your team goals. This means they'd have to balance each character around their three perks together so that they have a nice, cohesive kit, rather than balancing individual perks.

Kinda wanna have a game mode where this is a thing for a week, just to see how it would play out. This means characters with stronger perks like Laurie also has to weigh the disadvantages of having Object of Obsession and a perk that relies on your fellow survivors dying. David would also have to put up with No Mither in order to use Dead Hard.

Again, not saying this suggesting that this should happen, but what do you think the game would be like if it were a thing?

Comments

  • Maybe not all 3 of their personal perks, but one ability that is special to them to enhance certain perks. Sort of like the killers. Example, Claudette was the original "healer" type of survivor. Giving her an ability that only enhances heals would be sufficient. And then make it so no other survivor on the team can pick her so there's only 1 Claudette. I don't know if it's possible in this game, but it works well in games like Evil Dead.

  • @Phasmamain said:

    I don’t like the idea personally. If you’ve played F13th you’ll know basically everyone played Vanessa because her stats were the best for running Jason. The same would essentially happen in dbd

    I agree when I played Friday I thought she was not a good character but after playing her I realized she’s ######### godly. She’s S tier on counselor rankings. She’s the dead hard of f13 the game

  • you would have to do the same with killers making some of the killers unplayable.

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2991932#Comment_2991932

    I agree when I played Friday I thought she was not a good character but after playing her I realized she’s ######### godly. She’s S tier on counselor rankings. She’s the dead hard of f13 the game

    Yeah I honestly felt bad using her. She’s basically a crutch for people who can’t run Jason well. Fox main all the way!

  • @Phasmamain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3000302#Comment_3000302

    Yeah I honestly felt bad using her. She’s basically a crutch for people who can’t run Jason well. Fox main all the way!

    Awesome my mains were Deborah, tiff, and chad

  • @Kuinzu said:

    Imagine a universe where in Dead by Daylight, each Survivor is a unique character. You HAVE to use their three personal perks, plus one extra of your choosing to fill the fourth slot.

    [QUICK DISCLAIMER] I'm not saying this SHOULD be a feature before people rant about how terrible the idea is, I just wanna discuss how it would impact the game, I know for a fact that it would probably make the game even less enjoyable.

    Who do you think would be the most meta character? Who would be the worst in the entire game?

    I think it would be interesting to see how they balance the game around this. Each character would have a very specific way to play them in order to achieve your team goals. This means they'd have to balance each character around their three perks together so that they have a nice, cohesive kit, rather than balancing individual perks.

    Kinda wanna have a game mode where this is a thing for a week, just to see how it would play out. This means characters with stronger perks like Laurie also has to weigh the disadvantages of having Object of Obsession and a perk that relies on your fellow survivors dying. David would also have to put up with No Mither in order to use Dead Hard.

    Again, not saying this suggesting that this should happen, but what do you think the game would be like if it were a thing?

    Instead of requiring survivors to use their teachables, which would turn awful for chars like Ace, I propose that characters get a bonus tier of their respective perks. So A Meg for example can use QaQ sooner and looses exhaustion a little bit faster (when using SB) than other characters. Of course that does not work for every teachable currently (IW), but it would be possible, given that we already have three perk tiers per perk. So just fiddling around with the numbers would easily give us a bonus tier only usable by the respective survivors.

  • Any survivor specific traits would have to be so innocuous as to have virtually no effect, in order to prevent a meta.

    But if it were to happen, my prefered route would be giving survivors a Tier 4 (pink 'Ultra Rare') on their own perks.

    For example Bill would get Tier 4 Unbreakable that gives you a 33% increase to recovery speed up from 30% at tier 3, Tier 4 Borrowed Time that lasts for 13 seconds instead of 12, etc.


    Killers of course would get the same. Bubba's Tier 4 BBQ could give a 125% bonus to BP.

  • It would be like you said, less enjoyable. The majority would just flock to whoever has the best default perks.

    As far as who would be Meta and who would be the worse survivor, I don’t know. But in my opinion Dwight has the best default load out in the game. Prove Thyself to do gens quicker, bond to get a general idea of what teammates are hurt and where the killer may be, and leader so that your teammates can heal you/open exit gates/do hex totems quicker. He’s the only survivor who I play with all 3 default perks. I added Botany Knowledge so I can heal my team quicker. As a result, that build is one my highest escape rate builds. It’s VERY efficient.

  • @q6iha34x1r69psli7pg said:

    Nah, i would tunnel everyone that isn't Laurie/David king.

    I doubt anyone would bother with David due to No Mither. The trade off for DH wouldn’t be worth it, IMO.

  • This would kill the game

  • @KerJuice said:

    It would be like you said, less enjoyable. The majority would just flock to whoever has the best default perks.

    As far as who would be Meta and who would be the worse survivor, I don’t know. But in my opinion Dwight has the best default load out in the game. Prove Thyself to do gens quicker, bond to get a general idea of what teammates are hurt and where the killer may be, and leader so that your teammates can heal you/open exit gates/do hex totems quicker. He’s the only survivor who I play with all 3 default perks. I added Botany Knowledge so I can heal my team quicker. As a result, that build is one my highest escape rate builds. It’s VERY efficient.

    That's really interesting, actually. I personally play all survivors with their three teachables and an extra that either fits their character's lore or synergises with their kit. Makes sure that each character I play has a unique style. If I wanna be an objective-based character that can slip away from the killer, I go Feng Min, if I feel like playing a greedy hatch game, I go Laurie Strode, that kinda thing.

  • Problem With Unique Characters:

    • Predictability
    • Versatility
    • Meta Hogs

    1: When you see a survivor you absolutely know what to expect. Catching the killer off guard with a perk is actually one of the underrated tactics for survivor.

    2: Survivors would become super specialized, which leads to my point 3.

    3: Certain survivors will be favored over others.

  • @CriticalWeasel said:

    Problem With Unique Characters:

    • Predictability
    • Versatility
    • Meta Hogs

    1: When you see a survivor you absolutely know what to expect. Catching the killer off guard with a perk is actually one of the underrated tactics for survivor.

    2: Survivors would become super specialized, which leads to my point 3.

    3: Certain survivors will be favored over others.

    There are a core group of survivors that are favoured anyway, look at the cosmetic balance. It might not be game play but it shows what the narrative is.

    My opinion on the initial argument is every character should at least have to use 1 perk that is there own.

  • It’d be a cool exercise in realism that would undermine the game’s variety.

    prople would only play the survivors with the strongest perks, so you’d just get lobby after lobby of 4x same guy.

    It’d be like a reverse nurse/blight complaint.

  • I would have to forsake my shirtless Gayvid and never play with him ,,,A huge nonononono

  • @CriticalWeasel said:

    Problem With Unique Characters:

    • Predictability
    • Versatility
    • Meta Hogs

    1: When you see a survivor you absolutely know what to expect. Catching the killer off guard with a perk is actually one of the underrated tactics for survivor.

    2: Survivors would become super specialized, which leads to my point 3.

    3: Certain survivors will be favored over others.

    Yeah these are definitely the biggest issues, it would feel quite stale. You'd see the same survivors constantly, much like we see the same perks constantly at the moment. I like that you can mix & match perks to your heart's content. I'd love to see this in action, though. See which survivors kits work well and which ones are seen as downright useless.

1 2 ›