LGBTQ+ Representation in Horror and DBD

One of the arguments I saw when BHVR announced that David was gay (As well as the Pride charms) is this:

"This is a horror game. Why does their sexuality matter?"

Or

"This is a horror game. Why are there rainbows everywhere?"

And it always makes me think...dang, this person is oblivious to the horror genre haha. LGBT+ rep has been ingrained in the horror genre for as long as I can personally remember. Ignoring subtext or potential "Well, maybe it doesn't mean that-" situations, we could always look at the more blatant examples in both classic and modern horror media.

Chucky is one of the biggest horror franchises to date. With both a gender fluid character (Glen / Glenda from Seed of Chucky 2004) and gay + bisexual characters. (Jake and Devon as well as Tiffany in the 2021 TV series It's so good please watch it season 2 is coming this year.)

Freaky, The Fear Street Trilogy, Jennifer's Body, Hellbent (A very fruity slasher from 2004), Hellraiser, The Haunting of Hill House & Bly Manor, Raw, Thelma, The Wild Boys, Knife + Heart, BIT

And we all know Frank-N-Furter from Rocky Horror Picture Show.

This isn't even close to ALL of the examples of LGBT+ representation in the horror genre. You've got Scream, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 (I left this one out of my OG list because it's not blatantly said, however I think most people can watch this movie and read into the subtext lol.)

I hope this doesn't come across as a bait post. I wanted to genuinely explain why having openly LGBT+ characters in DBD DOES fit and is needed, as well as recommend some great, gay, horror movies and shows. I want to see more LGBT+ rep in DBD, and hope BHVR don't just come out once a year (hehe, come out.) and say a different character is this or that.

I've said it before in this forum, but I'll say it again: Give us an openly gay, DRAG QUEEN survivor! With cosmetic pieces in and out of drag! How many drag queens do you all see on Twitch playing DBD? I SEE LOTS. AND they're fog whisperers! They're all gorgeous and so kind and sweet! Contact them and take inspiration from them! Let them help you curate a character that is genuine and doesn't seem like a last second hand wave decision. (Don't get me wrong though, I love David, and I love him being gay. I'm sure the devs have plenty of tome entries and lore planned to flesh David's character out and make it feel more natural. But, it was a very sudden announcement with no build up or anything.)

There are 30 survivors in DBD. (31 counting Haddie.) and thousands of DBD players around the world. All of different races, genders, sexualities, lifestyles. So I think it would be great to have as many people feel represented as possible. It's more important than people think. I fully believe BHVR is genuine with their love and support of the LGBT+ community. I don't think they're in it for the money like a lot of companies. (I mean, David is literally a free character. If they wanted to make money they could've chosen a paid character.)

Announcing David's sexuality was actually a huge step. But I hope there's more in the future!

Tagged: BHVRMod

Comments

  • There is zero reason for sexuality to be discussed at all in this game. Idc if a person is straight, gay or anything else. The goal of the survivors is to do gens and get out, not do get have sex then get out. this is clear pandering and anyone who wants this sexual inclusive crap doesn't actually care about the quality of life out the game and is simply into being as woke as possible.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2982267#Comment_2982267

    Oh well. I guess there is no discrimination in modern western countries anymore as it is illegal and Mooks can’t name discriminated people directly (as they don’t really want to use their own name here for example).

    i guess we just solved discrimination for the modern west! Well done everybody involved!

    (just as a hint, the right for adoption for same-sex couples as well as marriage is actually something legalized in most of these so called modern western countries, especially when we are only counting the EU and USA, I am not even that well informed about this topic but my example if you asked for a specific country would have been Poland which you then would probably argue it doesn’t count as a modern western country)

    but well, bye, I gotta go as well. Gonna conquest the world as it’s obviously the only way to make the world less destructive for lgbtq+ people.

    /eyeroll.

    Well done, you beat the absolute pants off that strawman!

    In all seriousness though, good speaking with all of you. We may disagree about certain things, but at the end of the day, we're all just human nerds enjoying a videogame :). Always happy to have a civil back and forth.

  • @PedanticChicken said:

    There is zero reason for sexuality to be discussed at all in this game. Idc if a person is straight, gay or anything else. The goal of the survivors is to do gens and get out, not do get have sex then get out. this is clear pandering and anyone who wants this sexual inclusive crap doesn't actually care about the quality of life out the game and is simply into being as woke as possible.

    Bad take. Go away.

  • This thread has strayed far from it's original topic, and thus I am closing this here.

1 … 3 4 5 ›