Why are hook stages hidden from the killer ?

I haven't been playing DBD as long as some others here, but since owning the game and playing Killer (a few months), I wonder something.

I'm wondering why as a killer I can't see the survivor's hook stages.

As a survivor, I can see how many times my team has been hooked, but not as a killer.


Can you please enlighten me. What are the reasons for that ?

The only reason I can think of is that seeing the hook stages might encourage the killer to tunnel.

But that's what killers do anyway.


I find it really frustrating sometimes when, for example, I have the goal of hooking every survivor twice and don't want to kill anyone beforehand, but then get confused and accidentally kill someone just because so much is happening in the match and I've therefore forgotten which survivor already was on the hook and how many times they were on the hook.

Or if, in rare cases, you play a farming match with survivorn to relax a bit in between, and then at some point I am afraid to hook someone because I could accidentally kill the person.


I would really like to know why only one site is allowed to see the hook stages and what other killers think about it.

Would you like to see it or not ?

Comments

  • It's easy to keep track even by looking at the total amount of hooks. On survivors helps a lot, you know when someone is on death hook and maybe try to help... usually...

  • @Lynxx said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2941315#Comment_2941315

    Killer have a total hook count already they can use to help keep track.

    I still don't see why killer would need to see specific counts of hooks per survivor - which is what the op was about.

    for the reason i argued. If two survivors are identical in appearance, it makes keeping mental track considerably more difficult. Believe it or not, some killers actually try to spread their hooks out instead of tunnelling, and tunnel by accident because they either forget hook states or simply can't tell survivors apart.

  • @Chispon said:

    It's easy to keep track even by looking at the total amount of hooks. On survivors helps a lot, you know when someone is on death hook and maybe try to help... usually...

    thats all well and good, but killers also need to keep mental track of multiple other things simultaneously. If you have to start going down a mental inventory of

    "well first hook was jake, then second hook was dwight, third hook was the other dwight with the same outfit, fourth was... wait, was that the same one twice? oh nevermind, when the second dwight was hooked he still had full hook time so it must have been the other one. then the fourth one was...."

    Then you are making something needlessly complicated to track in the heat of the moment. Add to this all the mental timers you need to keep, what perks each survivor has (especially exhaustion ones) and everything else mentioned in the other post about it... it just hurts decision making skills and makes things more stressful when it really doesn't need to be. A lot of people avoid killer specifically because of how much stress and multitasking is involved.

  • In practice, it's because the kind of players that camp and tunnel are the exact people who don't keep count of hook states in their head.

    When you get to higher levels, killers will remember and act accordingly - but at lower levels, it's only kindling for the fire.

    Needed? Eh.


    Survivors NEED to know who's on death hook, because there are 4 people to keep track of including themselves.

    Survivors, especially in solo que, can get confused over hook states, especially because they are distant and a fleeting part of the match.

    Killer, though, each hook is hard fought and includes a face-to-face with the survivor.


    Telling the killer who's on death hook isn't really NEEDED as it is for survivor. And there's the slight potential for mean-spirited users to have a field day with.


    It's one of those things that it doesn't have to change, because it doesn't really benefit anyone anyhow.

  • @EntityNea said:

    Question to the killers here who say they want to see hook stages to prevent accidentally killing survivors during farming matches:

    Do survivors, once they know it's a farming match, ever help you out by gesturing?

    Me and my friends usually take turns walking up to the hook and point at it to show the killer who to hook. Or point at someone if they can be hooked again but they're not trying to communicate with the killer.

    ... Just ignore the matches where we point at that one friend when they're on death hook just to troll them :')

    Yes, I've had survivors do that and I've even had experienced survivors who got stuck with brand new players offer themselves up on death hook after seeing I'm offering to let everyone go. It's not a regular occurrence but I have seen it enough to know it does and can happen.

  • Hiding the hook stages hurts survivors more than showing them. Simply because a killer who wants to tunnel someone out, will know that said survivor is on death hook. Meanwhile a killer who tries to even out hooks, might accidentally kill a survivor, when he just wanted to get the second hook.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2941325#Comment_2941325

    for the reason i argued. If two survivors are identical in appearance, it makes keeping mental track considerably more difficult. Believe it or not, some killers actually try to spread their hooks out instead of tunnelling, and tunnel by accident because they either forget hook states or simply can't tell survivors apart.

    That's true. Also, if the survivors let another survivor hit second stage and I didn't see the Entity Summoned notification then I have accidentally killed a survivor before I wanted to take someone out of the game since I had only hooked them once. Showing hook states would solve that.

  • @Icaurs said:

    Its a way to discourage tunnelling. They are hopping by not seeing who has been hooked, you will lose track and increase your chance of chasing somebody who hasn't been hooked. It may not be that effective, but it is an attempt. The question is why do you need to see survivors hook counters?

    If you say (well I want to chase everyone evenly and I may lose track). If you have made a sincere attempt, but have lost track and by chance gone after the same person, then that's fine. Nobody can fault you for that, and if they do, you did nothing wrong. You said you need it for challenges. It is called a (challenge). It is called a challenge, it may take a couple of games and that's ok, not all of them should be done on your first attempt.

    The fact is there is no valid reason for killers too need to see survivors hook counter.

    Yes there is and it should be quite obvious. you hook the guy who’s hooked twice and that persons out lol! This situation can arise even if you’re not planning to tunnel but a couple of people on 2 hooks too.

    you can’t just say you’re not allowed to put somebody out of the game before everyone’s on 2 hooks.

  • I dont get it?

    Good killers dont need it because they should be able to keep track of 4 people...

    Yet survivors get that help to... keep track of 4 people?

    And the total hook counter is that useless you can disable it lol.

1 2 ›