Why would ANYONE play fair after that?!

I'll preface this rant with: I know the never-ending cycle of toxicity and how the feedback loop is proverbially exponential.

I killer main. I play fair. I don't camp, tunnel or slug. I don't put on oppresive builds, i consistenly mix them to see their effect on my games.

Around a year ago I picked the game back up after a six month break. I have a full-time job so can play when I have the little spare time. Not too sure of the exact amount of hours I have put in to it, but I have a P3 50 Pinhead, P3 50 Pyramid Head, a 50 Nemesis and middling to low levels on every other. My survivors have most perks unlocked but not all.

I'll condense this...

80-90% of my games involve either some or all of these:

. Two or three survivors taking it turns with the bullying, God-looping, when you leave the chase the bait you again and again, no objectives, nothing but to follow you around the map being a pest.

. Tea-bagging at the pallet

. Constantly clicking flashlights

. DC'ing after the first down

. At least 4 gens done before second hook

. Hex totems immediately cleansed both during game and end-game like NoED etc

. Boon CoH and Shadowstep combo

. Cussed out royally in the chat, "Suxk it, NoED toy, get better," I reply: Dude, it's 4 brains versus 1, and you don't need to be that good to get five gens done and escape." His response, "We played better than you." Since when was this entitlement the rule of law for survivor mains?

You all played like trash, I play fairly, I'm the trash? To say it's stressful is an understatement. Why would anyone play killer anymore?


Cue the, "Disable end game chat" "Get better," "Run better perks," "Do something else... blah blah blah." Those are indivivdual solutions, I am pointing at a larger problem. A full year continuous play and this IS the norm. No matter if anyone tells you any different.

Fix it how? Or leave what I consider to be one of the most addicting games I've ever played, pumped money in to, loyalty time and time again and I swear I'm not a masochist.

Comments

  • @OpenX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2938076#Comment_2938076

    I disagree with that. Honestly it is super rare to get BM'd in an FPS game.

    Like I think in thousands of Apex Legends games I got BM'd literally once, maybe twice?

    Rust I was barely BM'd. Call of duty I was usually in party chat and there was basically no BM, nobody has time to teabag in those games.

    Starcraft 2 I was never BM'd once. BF 2042 I was never BM'd once.

    League I would say was the closest in terms of toxicity but even then it was typically your own team raging and not the opponents, which I still consider less toxic than DBD because that happens in your own team chat and is not usually broadcast as BM to the opposing team

    DBD is like the only game I can think of where you explicitly can have toooons of time to BM and the lobbies are small enough the opponent can really take it personally. And the BM is like, constant. It's gotta be the most toxic game I can think of

    Overwatch would like a word with you, lol

  • @TheSubstitute said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2939385#Comment_2939385

    Perhaps the reason why you're remembering so much toxicity is because you played toxic? I didn't and there was far less toxicity in all three games mentioned so far (UO, SB, and WoW) than there is in DbD today.

    Part of that is because the devs of those games discouraged toxicity. Didn't like the possibility of being ganked? Play Trammel (UO) or on a PvE server (WoW). The possibility was always there for SB but you needed a city to advance and get decent gear. Getting banned or baned (which meant your city was lost) was the repercussion and, besides, many of the devoted gankers (defined as almost always targeting lower levels) weren't even that good at PvP to begin with so they were easier to deal with.

    The devs here have a very relaxed attitude to smacktalk and teabagging which I find problematic. Do you give people irl the middle finger? No? Then don't do it to another person. In reference to the other games, I liked the gankers, theives, etc being around because they added a sense of danger to the game and I consented to that when I chose a PvP server. I haven't consented to being teabagged or harassed in chat in DbD and, unless it's a death threat, the devs aren't interested in it.

    This game is worse and it's from the dev's choice to not speak against it. In SB, you could retaliate. In WoW or UO, you could pick a different server or contact a mod. In DbD, you can complain about it on the forum or ignore it and the devs can't be bothered to say they would like better sportsmanship. That difference is part of why this community has more toxicity than the others mentioned above.

    Player killing was what I enjoyed. There was and still is nothing like the feeling of versing a PVP opponent.

    Crafting things, collecting bank loads of stuff was never my thing. It is why I like this game so much.

    We were the original player killers, trailblazers who paved the way for online PVP the way it is now. I take pride in the fact that the word "nerf" originated because of me killing other players with poisoned blades in the 90s HAHAHA

  • @The_Krapper said:

    People need to quit caring, this is a game and people shouldn't get their feelings tied up so heavy in a game they refuse to run certain things and play certain ways to be "fair", life isn't fair and neither is DBD, this game is here for your enjoyment and the real problem is when people lose they blame everything under the sun instead of sucking it up and moving on to the next trial. I'll BM in match and then be nice as can be in the endgame chat because it's a game and win or lose I'm not letting people get under my skin.

    And if you enjoy being nice and not caring, nothing wrong with that either

  • People are too tanky in that game for me to enjoy it.

    I like Halo / Destiny / TF2 times to kill but having a game where you can literally dump an entire clip into someone almost perfectly and they are still alive makes me feel like I should be playing a MOBA / RPG and not an FPS.

  • @RequiemLestat said:

    @QueenSaccharine I can't F all about Survivor mains as the experience HAS to be a thousand times worse for a woman. Anything a woman does online in fact gets this treatment.

    I'm nowhere near a Christian, but I do follow do unto others.... I would despise it if a killer camped me out, or tunneled me at the start of the match. So I don't do it as a killer. I refuse to add to the feedback loop. All others just saying start playing unfair because they do. It doesn't solve anything. Just puts me as bad as them and continuing the cycle. Besides I have gotten ALOT of 4Ks playing the way I do. But get Seal Team Swf and you've no chance as a fair killer.

    If you'd rather not "play unfair" then that's understandable, play how you want to play, but regardless, it's important to remember one thing; if you can figure out early on or from looking at the lobby that you're going up against a swf, you need to change up your strategy. Swf players, regardless of skill level, play differently from solos almost every time.

    Because they're on comms and feeding information to each other, you need to try your best to be unpredictable and catch them off-guard. Go for mindgames, but be sure to change them up often. If one survivor figures out one of your perks, then all four of them know it. You can also use this to deliberately feed misinformation to the team, but this can be difficult and situational.

    Swfs are also incredibly altruistic and your best chance of getting one over on them is taking advantage of this. I'm not saying "camp hooks and down anyone who dares try to save", but maybe go after the person doing the unhooking, or try to interrupt their healing, things like that. Solo queue players often have a mentality of "it's either me or my teammate dying and I don't care THAT much about my teammate" and will only unhook if it's super safe/they have borrowed time, whereas swfs will desperately try to turn every single match into a 4 man escape.

    Expect borrowed time on at least two, if not all of the survivors, when they're playing swf. If a recently unhooked person is trying to bodyblock for their teammate, they likely have endurance from BT. Decisive strike is also very common and if you see them go into a locker shortly after being unhooked, they're likely trying to bait you into getting hit with decisive strike or maybe even head on (sometimes both).

    The key to victory as killer is making sure nobody's doing gens, or at least that as few people as possible are doing gens. When survivors aren't doing gens, no matter how many of them are left, you're in a very strong or outright winning position. Keep them injured so they have to keep healing, maybe run hex perks so they have to waste time finding and cleansing them, constantly chase multiple survivors and don't let individual chases take too long, don't be afraid to drop chase if it's going to take more than roughly 15 seconds to get something out of a survivor (hit, down, pallet, etc.)

    I've ranted a lot here but honestly there's so much more that could help you against swfs and just overall killer gameplay. There are plenty of helpful guides on youtube, or you can watch gameplay of and take notes from accomplished killer mains (they often commentate their own gameplay which helps a lot) and try to apply those notes to your own gameplay.

1 2 ›