Update 2.4.0 - Unreal update performance / lighting feedback
People of the fog,
The updated engine has added support for many new features (especially in Audio & Rendering), but also caused some incompatibility with existing features the game relied on. As such, we have re-balanced a few very important components of the game (lighting, fog, sound & occlusion):
- Added support for more realistic volumetric fog in all exterior maps.
- Adjusted audio balance and occlusion levels across all maps.
- Adjusted lighting across all themes and maps, quality settings (PC Only), as well as Killer specific lighting conditions (The Nightmare's dream world, etc).
NOTE
We are recommending that you do not change the game Quality setting while in a trial.
You might not get the full Quality setting change.
Your feedback
If you are experiencing a change in the in-game performance after the Unreal Engine update, please leave us the information as a comment on this post. It will help us isolate issues and improve the game for everyone!
A member of the Dev team might contact you to get additional information.
Any posts that are not using the following template will be deleted.
Information needed
- Issue (FPS loss / color changes / etc.)
- Platform
- Map played
- Additional details
Additional information for PC
- Quality selected
- Processor
- RAM
- Hard Drive
- Graphics Card
- Monitor
- Operating System
Comments
Update:
Gideon Meat Plant looks fine to me.
New map: lower fps then on other maps not critical though.
Badham Preschool and Lampkin late are extremly horrible. Render issues, cant look very far and super dark. Lower fps too.
Issue: color changes
Platform: PS4 Pro
Monitor: 4K UHD TV by Samsung - UE40MU6170
Map played: Lobby before the game
Details:
The characters faces and clothing appear very bright and overexposed after the update.
It looks like the light cast by the fire (?) is now much stronger.
Examples:
To compare some other areas captured on the same system where the light seems well balanced:
Notes:
Afaik my personal tv settings are not affecting the PS4 Pro screenshots.
Instead the screenshots show how it is rendered on PS4 Pro by default.
Names were edited out in photoshop for privacy.
Updated: December 15, 2018
More details:
Lag lag lag. The new server is beyond laggy. Frame rate drops like crazy now. Ontop of that The game has been disconnecting around 50% of all game's. I tried to play 4 matches earlier and the game crashed on 3 of them. I played about 10 game's last night and me, or someone else was disconnected on at least 4 of the games.
The new map is completely unplayable on ps4. The frame rates are very choppy and all movements are very laggy. Every single time I've played the new map, it disconnects after about 5-10 minutes.
Also this isn't new, but can we please fix Kat and Agent taps hair? I thought Jeff was the metal head, not Kate. Sorry, bad joke. But for real Kate's hair is a dead give a way while it's spinning and flipping all over the place.
Issue: fps loss and im frozen in place
platform: pc
Quality selected: ultra
Processor: intel core i7-8750h cpu 2.20ghz 2280 mhz 6 core(s) 12 logical processor
RAM: 16.0 gb
Hard Drive: cant find it seems
Graphics Card: nvidia geforce gtx 1070
Monitor: cant find this neither windows 10??
Operating System: windows 10 home
I'm playing on pc
survivor problems
Issue: Lag
Platform: PC
Quality Selected: Low (After this update)
Problem: I am a survivor main and I've always had decent frame rate on the quality setting of Medium every since this update though, I've been playing on Low and also the textures seem blurry and the fog causes the game to drop a ton of frames and when I went to go play nurse for my daily, it was as if whenever I blinked and pushed M2 to blink again it already canceled my blink and cause me to do the glitch where you don't go anywhere with your blink and that is how bad the frame rate is and also when I'd 360 to dodge a killers swing it's nearly impossible for the following reason, 1. I am flicking my mouse which results in my camera going in a circle but when it goes in that circle it lags cause my game can't handle that because of all the new textures. 2. I'll have to stop mid spin cause I feel like my game is going to crash if otherwise and I don't wanna be a horrible teammate. Same thing also happens when I play killer cause I need to counter 360's so I flick my mouse what do you know, I stop and it freezes for 2 seconds by that time the survivor is out of sight cause they're using lightweight. I don't understand why you haven't removed sheltered woods cause it has so much fog and it's so small and it just makes you lag so much and nobody likes that map and almost everyone can agree on that statement I don't know if this is just for me but yeah I hope you fix this really soon it's making most veterans wanting to quit till then I'll keep Lagging In The Fog.
Issue:FPS loss
Processor:IntelCore i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz3.60GHz
RAM: 16GB
Hard Drive: 1TB + ssd 220Gb
Graphics Card:GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Monitor:BenQ GW2470
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64bit
Quality selected:Ultra
Map played:same fps loss on any map.
Additional Details:Frames drop every few seconds from 60 to 45-40 which lasts for a few seconds and keeps going all the time during gameplay.
bERSERK1241 i have the same Problem since the update. My fps Drops on any map from 60 to 45-40 fps.
Issue: fps loss
Plattform: PC
Map played : all
Fps Drops since the new update from 60 to 45-40 fps.
Cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
GPU: GTX 1060 6 GB
Ram: 16 GB
SSD: 256 GB
OS: Windows 10
Issue: fps loss
Plattform: PC
Map played : all
Fps Drops since the new update from 60 to 45-35 fps.
Cpu: i5 4440
GPU: GTX 750Ti 2GB
Ram: 8GB
SSD: 120GB
OS: Windows 10
Issue: FPS Loss
Platform: PC
Maps: Coldwind farm (only one I played after the update so I presume there is no difference on the other maps)
Quality selected: Ultra
CPU: i7-7700HQ
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB max Q
RAM: 8GB
OS: Windows 10
Overall performance got far worse, I usually ran this game in 60+ fps with small drops, now it's 40-50 fps average.
Issue: color changes
Platform: PS4 Pro
Monitor: 4K UHD TV by Samsung - UE40MU6170
Map played: Springwood - Badham Preschool Badhouse
Details:
The chest in the Badhouse (Basement) appeared very dark.
It seems the chest was not affected by any light placed in the environment.
Example:
Issue: color changes
Platform: PS4 Pro
Monitor: 4K UHD TV by Samsung - UE40MU6170
Map played: any
Details:
Nea Karlson cosmetic - Cloudy Skies Pixie Bob
Before the update the top hair was a shade of gray and the side hair black.
After the update the top hair seems to be black with some gray "frosted tips".
Example:
Subjective impression:
The new version would look interesting as an additional hairstyle variant ("Frosty Tips Pixie Bob" ? ).
But it may not be what customers originally payed for.
Issue: FPS Loss
Plataform: PC
Quality selected: Low
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.81GHz 4 cores, 8 logicals
RAM: 6 Go
Hard Drive: ST3750528AS 1To SATA II
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Monitor: DELL SP2309W 2048 x 1152 (23.1")
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Map played: All of them
Additional Details: Frames drops sometimes when skillchecks are coming (which is verrrrrrrrry annoying considering the explosion) then sometimes when I'm about to vault a window or randomly into a chase for a few seconds.
Platform: PC
Map Played: All
Fps drops since the update of 2.4.0, and with addition of Winter Event, frames now drop in the main menu as well as making it harder to skip opening cinematic.
Specs: AMD Radeon 5000
Ram: 8GB (I usually play on low).
Issue: FPS drop
Platform: PS4
Map Played: Rotten Fields (Coldwind Farm) and the main menu
Details: My FPS drops whenever I get a skill check while repairing a gen at the beginning of a match. It drops enough to where I miss it when I would normally hit it. On the main menu, the falling snow causes a noticeable FPS drop.
Issue: FPS Loss
Platform: PC
Maps: Coldwind farm, Springwood basement, Backwater Swamp, Yamaoka Estate, MacMillan Estate, Autohaven Wreckers
pc specs:
CPU: @ 4.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
GPU: NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
RAM: 8GB; 8192 MB RAM
I have installed it on my HDD
I used to have 60 fps and now i have 40-50 and i got really big lags in the main menu (42 fps)
edit:
i get fps lags because of the falling snow in the main menu
Platform: PS4
Maps: Any
Details/Problem: After the recent update that added new lighting, killer, and survivor, I noticed that Nea’s 3 Pixie hairstyle cosmetics now look very weird. They look smushed and don’t even match the photo in the store. I own the Cloudy Skies Bob in which it’s most noticeable. I’m hoping this gets fixed so I can use them again.
Map played: all
Platform: xbox one
It all started working fine till a day after the winter solstice, now when i start the game, it takes longer to load and i can't talk to my friends while i play because i somehow lag during the game
I now had to turn down my specs to Low. Low with a GTX 1080. If had to or otherwise I can't play Killer properly with all the fps drops I get. I do hope that doesn't stay and you'll be able to fix it. Optimisation Patch for December? I do hope that wasn't it.
I generally really appreciate the new lighting, except for Lampkin Lane and Badham (too dark).
Platform: ps4
Map played: all
Additional Details: some sounds lack direction and play from everywhere. from what i've noticed, when pig's jigsaw boxes laugh the sound plays like it's in the distance but lacks a sense of direction, so it's impossible to pinpoint which box it is. also, when phasewalking as spirit, you can no longer hear footsteps of any kind. another thing is the brightness and darkness; maps with lower levels are waaaayyy too dark. it's hard to see.
Issue: Too dark in dark areas
Platform: PS4
Map played: Groaning Storehouses, Ironworks of Misery, Lery's Memorial
Additional Details: Pretty much on all maps, you barely can see in dark corners sometimes. For Lery's, that's some of the rooms. Claudettes are basically invisible in the dark. (I played with the same settings before the update and had no issues, so it seems this is something that came with the new graphics).
Issue: Lower floor way too dark
Platform: PS4
Map played: Gideon Meat Plant
Additional Details: Same as in the post above. Following people in the lower floor is frustrating to no end because you can't see anything to save your life.
Issue: FPS loss
Platform: PC
Map played: Grim Pantry, Haddonfield, Coldwind Farm (and one more which I don't remember)
Additional details: Before Christmas update, I didn't lose almost any fps (loss of 1-2 FPS). Now the perfomance is terrible, especially on killer (loss of 5-10 FPS, sometimes an FPS drop when getting downed or hit with Sloppy Butcher). It's not fun to play like that.
Quality selected: Low, 43% resolution.
Processor: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon R7 240
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
Issue: FPS loss
Processor: AMD A8-7650k with Radeon 7
RAM: 4GB
Hard Drive: Unable to Find.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7
Operating System: Windows 10
Quality selected: Low at 0%
Map played: Can't play
Additional details: Framerate before the update was about 30 to 40 fps
Issue - Sound, especially directional sound, is busted
Platform - PC
Map played - All maps
Additional details - Since the update, sound has been really messed up. Directional sound especially seems really bugged. I can't tell which direction sound is coming from anymore, which is very detrimental for killers like Spirit who rely heavily on sound when she is phasing and can't see. Now she cannot hear footsteps AT ALL and if the survivor she's chasing is injured and moaning the sound has no direction so you have no idea where it's coming from. Usually it sounds like it's underneath you.
Issue - FPS drops
Platform - PC
Map - All maps
Additional details - Sometimes when I go to hit a survivor it just freezes for a few seconds and sometimes I'll be lucky and have hit them and other times my killer freezes and they get away. It's really annoying to drop frames so hard at such an important point. It happens at least one a game, if not multiple times, usually one of the first hits of the match.
Quality selected - Medium
Processor - Intel i7 7700 @ 2.80GHz
RAM - 16GB
Hard Drive - Seagate FireCude 2TB SSHD
Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Monitor - Lenovo Y520 standard laptop monitor
Operating System - Windows 10
Headset (for sound issue) - HyperX Cloud Alpha gaming headset with dual chamber drivers
Issue: FPS loss (all maps, pre game and loading screen
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), 4.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB (2x8)
Hard Drive: WD blue 1tb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 8470 (1gb)
Monitor: Generic PnP, 60Ghz, 1080p
Operating System: Windows 10
Quality selected: Low at 50% resolution (1080p)
Map played: All maps.
additional information:
i used to play on low with 100% resolution with an average of 30~35 fps on all maps
the new updated dropped me to 18~20 fps on all maps with 50% resolution and the new winter map is worse, 12~15 fps, making the game unplayable for me..
Issue: Low FPS (all maps and even in campfire loadout area)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59GHz
RAM: 16GB
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1060
Operating System: Windows 10
Quality Selected: Low
FPS (in Current Quality Selected): 55 - 60
FPS (in Previous Quality Selected - Ultra): 20
Additional Information:
I used to play on 60 - 70 fps on ultra, on every map. I stopped playing for a few months and I came back to it about a week ago. I noticed my FPS were abysmal so I dropped Quality to Low, still barely managed to get 60 fps. When I go game, during chases or what not I drop FPS to 50 or even lower. I reinstalled the game, checked integrity of game files and nothing works.
It May Be The OS You Are Using, Maybe Getting Windows 10 Could Help
Idk
tbh i use Nvidia GeForce Now So I Rarely Experience Any Issues
Issue FPS loss throughout the entire game
Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @2.8GHz
64 bit
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1060
16 GB RAM
Operating system: Windows 10
I used to be able to play at 60 fps on any quality and all maps worked fine up until like 2 days ago , i updated by graphics card and I dont know whats going on , it barely plays at 10-15 fps which is completely unplayable.
Any other information needed ?
Edit : the problem didnt happen because of the graphics card , what i meant to say is that im sure that my drivers are updated .
Issue: laggy skillchecks and invisible pallets
Platform: PC
Map played: laggy skillchecks: All | Invisible pallets: Coldwind farm
Additional details: The skillchecks are sometimes 20-40 fps which makes it pretty hard to hit a great one
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR PC
Quality Ultra and 100% (I tested it on lowest settings too)
Processor: Ryzen 5 2600x @ 4.2 ghz
RAM: 2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz ddr4
Hard Drive: Crucial MX500 CT250MX500SSD1Z and WD Black 2 TB(both tested)
Graphics Card: gigabyte nvidia geforce gtx 1060
Monitor: Samsung U24E590D
Operating System: Windows 10
Issue: Drop FPS
Platform: PS4 Pro
TV: Sony X705E 49' 4K HDR
Map played: Ormond Resort
Additional Details: After the 2.4.1 update it is very blunt the drop of FPS on that map which becomes unbearable to play.
Issue: Graphic downgrade
Platform: Xbox One X
Display: 1080p and 4K
When you first updated the engine, the graphics were improved on Xbox One X from before however there was noticeable shadow boxes on characters and in darker areas and LOD rendering issues. When you added the Holiday Event, those shadow boxes were gone and the overall image quality was crisper and the LOD was greatly improved.
Now that you reverted back to the normal look, the shadow boxes are back and the overall image quality is back to before the event and the LOD issues have returned and are quite noticeable again.
More than likely due to you not really even meeting the minimum requirements for 60fps on low, try moving over to windows ten or taking the initiative to spend around 20-40$ on some RAM, it's easy to install you can find multiple websites on it.
Issue: Bright lights alike the old flashlight blind and random colours
Platform: Xbox one
Map played: all and kyf lobby
Additional details
I have been witnessing issues withthe lighting (especially exit gates) having a bright light blocking my view, and any survivor going through it I lose the chase due to this issue, the random colours will appear while on sides of hills and exit gates are usually purple/pinkish colour, map barriers are also appearing white-ish
If we are allowing use to show proof I have pictures of this issue happening several times
LF chainsaw idle is way to loud and it's driving me crazy REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Issue: FPS Loss
Platform: PC
Map played: All
Additional details: Swamp is the worst map by far. Overall Framerate: 42 FPS. Frame Latency: 18.7ms
Additional information for PC:
Quality selected: Medium, Fullscreen 1080p. Resolution 85%
Issue: FPS Loss
Platform: PC
Map played: All
Additional detalis: Sometimes i have small lags while in game as surv/killer (generally in chase), but I have also 1-2 really massiv lags per game. After one of those lags, everything looks like somehow graphics were set to low. Very clearly visible pixels etc. Even if my graphics quality is set to high. After few seconds it's comming back to normal again.
Quality selected: Ultra (but now I'm playing on High. I still have lags as mentioned earlier, but game is playable. If I change to Ultra, there're too many lags so game is unplayable)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Hard Drive: ST1000DX001-SSHD-8GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2233SN Plus - LCD monitor - Full HD (1080p) - 21.5"
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
It looks like i am the only one experiencing this but my games are crashing several times a day now. The error message I am getting is posted below. I have updated my nvida driver. I am running an intel i7 4200, geforce gti 10801, 24mgs RAM, Windows 10 Pro, quality at Ultra.
Fatal error: [File:Unknown] [Line: 826]
Rendering thread exception:
Fatal error: [File:Unknown] [Line: 200]
Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0006 - 'HUNG')
0x00007ff820d7a388 KERNELBASE.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4535da9 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e44bf7fb DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4487fd8 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e494065e DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4941844 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e492d161 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4938dc8 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4c1f521 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4c44f46 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4c4f3d7 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4c3ac99 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4c4c0bd DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e49f92f9 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4c0e5d7 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4c001a8 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e43fd621 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4d6e9d2 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4d6ea58 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e450b5e7 DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff6e4508b8c DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff8247a3034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
0x00007ff824a03691 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []
The game is causing my entire pc to crash (sometimes blue screen, sometimes just frozen), happens several times a day. I may play 4 or 5 matches before it crashes. I used to play at medium settings prior to the unreal engine update and the game ran flawlessly. I now play the game on low settings and it crashes very often. According to HWInfo my temps are good on my video card and processor. CPU and Ram usage is below 70% but GPU usage is around 95-100%.
PC: Windows 10 Home
Graphics: nvidia gtx 970
Processor: I5 6600
Ram: 16 GB
FPS Loss
Platform: PC
Processor: i7-6700 2.6GHz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GTX 970M
OS: Windows 10
Maps played: all
All qualities tried, no difference from ultra to low.
Issue:Blurred/Rubber-like textures on Low and sometimes on Medium too
Platform:PC/Steam
Map:All
Quality Selected:Low
Additional Details: Ever since i started playing DBD,last year,i've always played on Low graphics,reason being that the game looks brighter,sharper and has HORRIBLE performance from Medium-Ultra,i've never had this issue with these extremely blurred rubber-like textures that i'm having ever since the engine was updated,some matches are completely bugged like the image,others only from a far distance,it fixes when i set it to Medium,but i can't play because the fps and graphics look horrible on higher settings,i'm just not playing with these bugged graphics because i feel like i'm playing a PS1 game lol
It usually get worse when the whole map have these bad or pre-loaded textures and it stays that way till i restart my game,it's not bad enough that i have to restart my game due to infinite loading screens..i really want to play but i'm just not motivated to play the game like this
PC Specs:
GTX 750 1 Giga
8 GB Ram
1 Tera HD
I5 3330 3.00 GHz
Win 7 Professional
Additional details: Lighting on the older maps looks absolutely terrible. Macmillan looks like it has multiple floodlights shining on it. Autohaven Wreckers is covered in a foggy green miasma, and Coldwind Farms maps look like they've been sprayed with Agent Orange. The new Ski Lodge map looks fantastic, however. The overall brightness of all the maps makes scratch marks extremely hard to see, as previously I relied on contrast of their brightness to discern them. Additionally, the game becomes very dark when going indoors.
Basically this. I left the game because of it. Dark places are too dark, and bright places are too bright. In particular, the lighting by the log pile on Macmillan's is so much my eyes squint.
So,any words on this devs? this is still a thing,game looks like sht
Issue: FPS Loss
Platform: PC
Map played: All maps
Additional details
Additional information for PC
Pre unreal engine update, I got 190FPS constant in game on any map. Now the max I can get is about 130 in game with dips to 100 in certain circumstances or certain maps.
I am having issue with the latest 2.5.0 update too with the basement glitch (enter basement and unable to leave). I believe I have resolved this issue by locking my FPS to 60 but I am hoping this issue can be resolved as I much prefer playing with higher frames.