David: Ignoring the opinion of the community

I feel totally deceived. My opinion is that such important information about any characters shouldn't be thought up and added to the lore after years of this character already being in the game! That is so forced, unnatural, you just have chosen one of the survivors and started to rewrite the whole his life!

You know, that´s really unfair. As a woman, I´ve just lost my favorite male survivor. I think that having some ideal characters, maybe even sexualized is OK in videogames, so why the hell you are don´t take care of the female part of your community???

I understand the needs of LGBTQIA2+ community, but you could make for them a new character so that your changes wouldn´t inflict the current fan base of any already existing survivor.

Tagged: BHVR

Comments

  • @FragmentalMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2925059#Comment_2925059

    wow transphobia! gross! anyway, trans women are women and some gay men have previously dated women before coming out and still been gay. you're a freak!!!! i hope they make every character you like lgbt now. suffer. us lgbt people STAY winning <3

    TheGays™ won yesterday I'm ngl

  • just pretend he is straight like they pretend that one survivor with a wife and a kid is gay on twitter. respectfully, you should let others have their moment

  • LITERALLY!!!! The Gays™ stay winning fr!!

  • @_ZZlaya_ said:

    I feel totally deceived. My opinion is that such important information about any characters shouldn't be thought up and added to the lore after years of this character already being in the game! That is so forced, unnatural, you just have chosen one of the survivors and started to rewrite the whole his life!

    You know, that´s really unfair. As a woman, I´ve just lost my favorite male survivor. I think that having some ideal characters, maybe even sexualized is OK in videogames, so why the hell you are don´t take care of the female part of your community???

    I understand the needs of LGBTQIA2+ community, but you could make for them a new character so that your changes wouldn´t inflict the current fan base of any already existing survivor.

    Eh. Looking forward to this all just dying down, because...honestly, even as far as this game goes:

    • There are plenty more fish in the fog.
    • It's a bunch of polygons in a videogame.

    @IlliterateGenocide said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2925034#Comment_2925034

    As a gay man I see this stuff a lot, Turning characters different sexualities like flicker of a lightbulb. its dissapointing that they did it this way. but mabye the tome will make it better

    The problem with making a new survivor is that no matter what the devs do, it's going to bring out ye olde wokescolds. We've already seen a few this time.

    Make a new gay character effeminate? You're pushing a stereotype.

    Make a new gay character traditionally masculine? You're guilty of queer erasure.

    I think that worrying about the sexuality of a character in a game with zero RP is silly at best and a minefield at worst, but the devs seem well intentioned so even if I did care about this stuff, I'd probably try to extend a bit of charity to the devs.

    That said:

    @GoodBoyKaru said:

    "I, as a woman, am now angry that the LGBT+ community have valid representation for it means I can no longer sexualise the character" babes do you realise how DERANGED this sounds

    Grass is needed and ASAP

    https://media.tenor.com/images/c90c9356888692ee99461af5ef8f1dbd/tenor.gif

    I think it's more than a little odd that people are worried about the sexual identity of characters in this game at all. There's like...zero RP and the lore is so tangential to the actual game that I'm honestly surprised people really care about it.

    @AsherFrost said:

    I would say y'all need Jeebus, but he didn't do too much for LGBTQIA+ acceptance when he was alive and his biggest fans are kinda dicks about the whole thing so...

    Y'all need Big Gay Al.

    Isn't Big Gay Al considered seriously 'problematic'? I mean, I can find a ton of progressive thinkpieces about him along these lines:

    https://medium.com/express-yourself/dear-millennials-with-apologies-to-big-gay-al-1c80f650113

    @Rezblaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2925018#Comment_2925018

    There are cases of gay men dating or even marrying women. This is done because:

    A) The person may not have had the resources to understand what they're feeling due the stigmatization of gay people and the lack of resources to study it.

    B) To prevent emasculation, due to toxic masculinity disowning homosexuality. David King is known to do brawls and collect debts. Toxic masculinity dictates these are "manly" things to do (physical altercations) but also disowns homosexuality as being emasculating. David probably dated a girl to prevent discovery and keep a reputation in the ring.

    There is no such thing as 'toxic masculinity' any more than there is 'toxic femininity'. This term was popularized by some pretty obnoxious people circa 2010-2016 and purely serves as a way to stir up division between people.

    I know gay people that are somewhat effeminate - but I also know some that are more traditionally masculine. Neither of these should be an issue.

    @AsherFrost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/320906/david-ignoring-the-opinion-of-the-community

    So basically

    "I used to fantasize about this character in a video game. Now that I know he wouldn't want to be with me in real life, I'm upset. Why aren't you specifically releasing characters I can flick my bean to?"

    Cringiest take so far. Actually reminds me of an old friend of mine who, upon telling a girl that had crushed on him that he is gay, had to endure months of harassment and abuse and "why couldn't you just do it for me, guys get hard all the time anyway!" Entitled toxic bullshit.

    I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you can't connect with a character of a different gender unless you could have sex with that person in real life, That sounds like a difficult thing to have to deal with.

    There are literally gay children all around the world who are being told daily that being gay is bad, and makes them a weak, craven thing. Some of those children will now be able to look at David and see even the King of survivors can be a proud gay man. Personally I think that's a bit more important than whether or not the game provides you with fodder for your wank bank.

    I...don't think that this is a game I'd want children playing. It's a touch on the grisly side.

  • Again. I will try to explain the last time (even if you barely want to try to understand me).

    Every player has his own favorite survivor based on any cause. It might be their overall impression of this character or the attractiveness of this survivor, or maybe players associate and represent themselves in such a way. So people who already liked and played David liked him in this way he was created until now. Some little changes could be applied, but very carefully, to not harm the main idea of this character. Just let him be as he is.

    The diversity and representation for all people might be done just by adding new characters. And I am sure that the new gay survivor will have his own fan base.

    That´s simple way, and nobody will feel disappointed, frustrated or deceived. Nobody will have a single complaint

  • I'll say it, even the most controversial opinions can be right in there own ways.

  • To be honest this whole bad comment of yours can be found in real life. I have been told the same after coming out as a gay man who has had ex-girlfriends: “it’s unnatural and wrong that now you’re gay… etc”. The truth is: I was born gay and it was about acceptance. I am sure that is the case with David and the new tome will bring light into it as mentioned before by Peanits in another post.


    Finally, it is your mistake to assume that every character is straight and so sorry now you cannot thirst or enjoy a fictional character who has a different sexual orientation than yours =P.

  • @AsherFrost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2925059#Comment_2925059

    I would see no issue with that. My favorite survivor is Claudette. If I found out in the next lore drop that she was transgender (you know, the actual term adults use, instead of being transphobic ######### stains) it wouldn't bother me a bit. She could be a lesbian, she could be straight, she could be ace. Wouldn't hurt me any because I am happy at the variety of life and don't decide which character I like based on my lust.

    her being ace would hurt a little.

  • @BuffTrickster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2925043#Comment_2925043

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2925044#Comment_2925044

    People have comfort characters, whether it’s for relatability, attraction, or both. There’s even an entire community I know of that put themselves in actual relationships with fictional characters, though that isn’t the case here.

    For some people a character’s, in this case, sexuality, can determine if that character becomes a comfort one or not.

    I presume OP has liked David since his release, and with nothing ever alluding to his sexuality except the ex-girlfriend thing, having that suddenly torn away after years can be psychologically hurtful to people.

    This is why the ‘leave it to everyone’s own interpretation’ was a better idea, so no one could have their own ideas ruined about a character. Making the character canonically gay would, and has, ruined the connection, illusion, comfort, etc. for some people.

    I’ve never personally cared about David but I know I’d be quite distraught if my comfort characters were suddenly canonically labeled as something, years down the line, that would break my connection.

    well said

  • @BuffTrickster said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2925043#Comment_2925043

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2925044#Comment_2925044

    People have comfort characters, whether it’s for relatability, attraction, or both. There’s even an entire community I know of that put themselves in actual relationships with fictional characters, though that isn’t the case here.

    For some people a character’s, in this case, sexuality, can determine if that character becomes a comfort one or not.

    I presume OP has liked David since his release, and with nothing ever alluding to his sexuality except the ex-girlfriend thing, having that suddenly torn away after years can be psychologically hurtful to people.

    This is why the ‘leave it to everyone’s own interpretation’ was a better idea, so no one could have their own ideas ruined about a character. Making the character canonically gay would, and has, ruined the connection, illusion, comfort, etc. for some people.

    I’ve never personally cared about David but I know I’d be quite distraught if my comfort characters were suddenly canonically labeled as something, years down the line, that would break my connection.

    People out here acting like a character's sexuality being confirmed is some kind of psychological trauma

    A characters sexuality being one thing or another has never ever stopped people from indulging in their fantasties, you need only look at any fanfiction site

  • @_ZZlaya_ said:

    Again. I will try to explain the last time (even if you barely want to try to understand me).

    Every player has his own favorite survivor based on any cause. It might be their overall impression of this character or the attractiveness of this survivor, or maybe players associate and represent themselves in such a way. So people who already liked and played David liked him in this way he was created until now. Some little changes could be applied, but very carefully, to not harm the main idea of this character. Just let him be as he is.

    The diversity and representation for all people might be done just by adding new characters. And I am sure that the new gay survivor will have his own fan base.

    That´s simple way, and nobody will feel disappointed, frustrated or deceived. Nobody will have a single complaint

    If it's really eating at you - you can always make up your own head canon about the character and go with that. Write up your own little bio for David and stick it into a Word doc somewhere you can easily find it.

    I mean...when I was young, I used to love my GI-Joes. And all of them had a little book of lore that I generally lost the second I opened the packaging. Instead, those characters could be anything to me. I mean...this was generally my 'good guy'.

    image.png

    And this was generally a 'bad guy':

    image.png

    Imagination is a powerful tool - especially in a game like this where the lore has absolutely zero impact or overlap with gameplay.

    Make up your own little narrative regarding these little piles of pixels and polygons if you don't like the existing one.

    @mileto_br said:

    To be honest this whole bad comment of yours can be found in real life. I have been told the same after coming out as a gay man who has had ex-girlfriends: “it’s unnatural and wrong that now you’re gay… etc”. The truth is: I was born gay and it was about acceptance. I am sure that is the case with David and the new tome will bring light into it as mentioned before by Peanits in another post.

    Finally, it is your mistake to assume that every character is straight and so sorry now you cannot thirst or enjoy a fictional character who has a different sexual orientation than yours =P.

    Except that's...not what's happening here. This is more a Tabula Rasa character being confirmed one way or another, which disrupts the fantasy of people who had him running a certain way.

    This isn't David 'coming out'. Because David is a character in a videogame. This is a decision by the developers.

    I think that the entire complaint is silly, much as I think a lot of this is silly - but I'm also wary of implying bigotry where none exists.

  • @_ZZlaya_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2925064#Comment_2925064

    Just tell me WHY behavior couldn't make a completely new character? Some people will find him attractive and play as this survivor.

    And the fans of David wouldn't be frustrated with so big changes in their favorite character. That´s so a simple solution.

    Why???

    I think they picked David because how popular he is to gay men

    but what is matter go on keep thinking he straight.

    I mean is a video game(not real characters)

    unless your that homophonic

  • @FragmentalMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2925059#Comment_2925059

    wow transphobia! gross! anyway, trans women are women and some gay men have previously dated women before coming out and still been gay. you're a freak!!!! i hope they make every character you like lgbt now. suffer. us lgbt people STAY winning <3

    Yes, trans women who win in sports championships

    Trans women who use women's dressing room while still being physically men

    Trans women who are imprisoned with biological women and so there was a precedent of getting pregnant in women's prison


    That´s not transphobia, just some healthy thinking. If you feel being and want to be a man or a woman, you should make sex reassignment surgery, but not only saying this in words


    Anyway, that's not the topic of our discussion.

  • OK I'm closing this here.

    I advise everyone to educated themselves on the importance of representation and the struggles that minorities face in this world - maybe there'd be a lot less hate and misunderstanding if that happened.

    https://gaymerx.org

1 2 ›