This game has been atrocious for the past 3-4 weeks
I don't know what was done to the MMR about 3-4 weeks ago but it's made this game unplayable in the solo queue. I've been playing this game for the past ~3 years and I keep dying on 1st or 2nd hook because I keep getting paired with new/trash players who just stay on gens & don't get their asses out to unhook and get chased by the killer.
Several streamers I follow who played either solely DBD on their channel or mainly DBD have been deserting it after this atrocity. I'm ready to do the same because this is pure garbage and not fun. If you're going to do this, might as well give veterans another 2 extra hooks before death (5 hooks) and built in Deliverance, except with no broken status because it's BS that we can't play this game normally.
Until 3-4 weeks ago I used to get players around my same skill level where we used to set up plays of unhooking players face camped by killers with NOED active where one of us looked for the totem and then helped the other unhook by taking a protection hit from the killer. I have been able to do that maybe once in the past month that the matchmaking has become trash.
This game is unplayable unless you have a SWF team, and even when you do, you have to deal with trash killers who tunnel & camp from the start of the match.
Comments
Nothing happened 3-4 weeks ago, it was the same system they've had in place for months. Two weeks ago they were testing changes and the changes just went into place a few days ago.
Something definitely happened because I never got randoms in the solo queue like I have in the past month. In the past I made it to Red I and now I can't get past Red IV because I keep getting survivors who just started playing or who are just bad. I used to get players who were around the same experience as me who were able to run some nice rescues with me. Now, I see them having like 1 or 2 yellow tier perks and just staying on gens when 1 or 2 survivors are down and/or on hook. It's not just me from the 40+ people I know who play DBD who noticed this.
As a matter of fact it happened right around the time they posted that survey.
EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention is the amount of the players I'm getting matched with who dc when the killer downs them the first time (or even injures or spots & chases them) has gone through the roof over the past 3-4 weeks. It makes it pointless to even play in such a match especially when the killers these days do not play nice like killers of the past did when one of the survivors dc'd early. Being down to 3 players in less than a minute or even 2 minutes in is a huge handicap. When this happens and I'm the next to be hooked, I just end up killing myself on hook because there's no point and there's only so much of that I'll take until I abandon this game once & for all. So thanks a lot BHVR for ruining this game even more than it's been ruined.
If anything happened 3-4 weeks ago, it was something happening to a lot of people's shedule. MMR tests aside, there is no record of anything having been changed until last week (when the matchmaking system got adjusted).
That being said, I notice something similar to what you describe as well. But only after ~6pm (Europe servers), and the closer it get's to midnight the worse it gets. Weekends are especially bad. On the other hand: when playing earlier - say, between noon and 4pm - I tend to get pretty well balanced matches with everyone appearing to have roughly the same skill level. This difference between peak and off-peak hours seems to have gotten more pronounced after the MMR changes last week - but that could also just be my imagination or my personal experience the past few days.
I thought they didn't change MMR last week? I thought they were testing MMR values but didn't actually change anything after that so we're basically just back to the old MMR like it was before testing. I could be wrong though.
My experience has been the same as the OP though. Matchmaking has gotten really bad, the randoms I get lack basic game knowledge and don't touch gens, can't loop, and don't go for saves. This used to happen occasionally but it's basically 80% of my matches now. I main survivor and have 9k hours into the game so I shouldn't be getting matched with new players. The only solution I've found is to play in a 3-4 person SWF group, but even then killers still tunnel/camp extremely frequently.. which didn't used to happen quite as much
Well it took them a while to talk about the DDOSing that happened, so just because nothing was mentioned by them doesn't mean there were no changes.
I find it very suspicious that the survey was posted right around the time when these issues started.
I played at all hours of the day before and play at those same times now and it's a night & day difference. I don't see how it's possible that suddenly everyone's schedule changed. The people I watch on stream play DBD at the same hours and the people on my friends list play at the same times mostly too (though a lot of them stopped playing entirely). A UK streamer I know even posted a video on his Youtube about changes to the MMR right around that time and he pretty much solely streams DBD (well he's gotten sick of it now & is switching to Rust) and wouldn't have pulled that out of his butt (meaning there had to be a reason he said that).
I cant comment either way. Any comment I could make would just feel like confirmation bias or whatever. I still get sandbaggers and solo q heroes just the same.
I have no doubt anymore. A few hours ago I had a match where a Bill was following me wherever I went. I worked on a totem & he hid in a locker next to the totem as I cleansed it. I went to the basement to get an item from the chest, he went down there too. There were 2 Megs as well. Eventually the killer (Hillbilly) got Bill & hooked him, I unhooked him and he hooked him again about another minute or 2 later. I went for another unhook, this time sticking my neck out to take a hook for him and everyone just let me there to die on my 1st hook. The 2 Megs hadn't been hooked and just left. Same with the Bill. The match ends & everyone has 1 or 2 perks max and all yellow tier---clear as day that they were beginners/Johnny-come-latelies whereas I am Red 4 (and been stuck there because this ######### game can't give me team mates on my level like it did up until a month ago so I can have someone who has my back when I get hooked).
It's clear now why they're hiding the ranks of players on the post-match screen---they want to withhold how obviously bad the matchmaking is and how it's matching experienced players with novices and they don't want that visual to be seen by the players, despite how obvious it is from our match experience we're getting lately. Before this started about a month ago, the only way I remember experienced & inexperienced players played together was either in custom matches or if an inexperienced player was friends with an experienced player and was part of their SWF team, which was the case with me when I got into DBD back in 2019. From then until a month ago, all my solo matches with random players were within the vicinity of my own skill level. That's clearly not the case anymore with the solo queue.
As of now, the solo queue of this game is pointless and I won't waste my time with it anymore. It's fruitless for me to try to get Red 1 again when I'm being matched with players who don't know how to play the game and let their team mates die on 1st or 2nd hook and then mostly die themselves as a result because this is a team game & the more team mates die, the harder it gets. If this is the way DBD is going to be, then it deserves to die rather than sucking more players in & wasting their money. I'm utterly disgusted.
One of the mods said that the new MMR system wouldn't sacrifice lower-level players to killers to make games easier. However, this post has me worried the developers did exactly that. Here's part of the MMR post that was suggesting that lower-skill players were being sacrificed so high-level players would have easier matches.