How would you make Freddy more lore accurate?

(without making him op)

edit: I think I'd be best to go with @GeneralV 's concept: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/250003/an-idea-for-a-freddy-rework-from-a-freddy-main/p1

I'd also add in dream pallets and other hallucinations (accessible through addons).

oh, and it'd be cool if you could use m2 to target a survivor and trigger a scary hallucination.

Same question applies to demo, if you've got any ideas. I started rewatching ST in preparation for the next season, and I got reminded just how weird it is that the full extent of the upside-down in demo's power is as a transition screen between portals.

Comments

  • Bring back his old power with some buffs to compensate. No idea for Demo, though.

  • @GeneralV made a rework concept that kept most of his old kit with the introduction of the dream projection and some other QOL fixes such as incapacitated effect while transitioning between worlds and self healing skill checks not waking you up. Basically the perfect Freddy imo

  • His old power was pretty accurate and way more interesting. All it needed was some tweaks and buffs to work well.

    Now he's just weak and boring for everyone involved.

  • Bring back old Freddy with some buffs and QoL changes. And add teleport to his base-kit.

  • @Phasmamain said:

    @GeneralV made a rework concept that kept most of his old kit with the introduction of the dream projection and some other QOL fixes such as incapacitated effect while transitioning between worlds and self healing skill checks not waking you up. Basically the perfect Freddy imo

    Oh yeah, link of do I gotta dig it up? I’d like to read that.

  • Make the dream world actually mess with survivors perception like a dream actually would

    Not sure how you'd do it but I'd really like for the dream world to be more than just a filter and some particle effects

  • @Hi_Im_Chucky said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2918846#Comment_2918846

    Oh yeah, link of do I gotta dig it up? I’d like to read that.

    @GeneralV said:

    Greetings, survivors, killers, and both-siders of the Fog! I hope this thread finds you doing well. I am here to present to you my idea for another Freddy rework.

    Now, several threads here showed to us and to the devs that the chance to play as Old Freddy again is something that the community truly wants and needs. Which is perfect, however bringing him back without any changes may not be the best idea. After all, we all know that he required a few buffs and QoL improvements (never a full rework tho).

    Please, allow me to present to you my idea for an improved Nightmare:

    Power: Dream Demon

    Pull survivors into the Dream World

    -Survivors who are awake do not see The Nightmare.

    -Once targeted by The Nightmare’s power, survivors enter the Dream Transition for 7 seconds.

    -During the Dream Transition Survivors can see The Nightmare intermittently and they suffer from the Incapacitated status effect.

    -When the Dream Transition Lapse, the Survivor is pulled into the Dream World.

    Once in the Dream World:

    -Survivor’s auras are revealed to The Nightmare when they are outside of his terror radius.

    -Survivors suffer an action speed penalty of 40%.

    -To exit the Dream World, Survivors can find non-sleeping Survivors to perform a wake up action.

    -Failed Skill Checks can also wake up.

    -Hooked Survivors wake up.

    Special Ability: Dream Projection

    -Teleport to a Generator in view. Releasing the button early will cancel the action.

    -Survivors cannot interact with the targeted Generator.

    “You have nothing to worry about. This won’t hurt one… little… bit.” -Freddy Krueger

    Add-ons:

    Wool Shirt:

    -Slightly decreases Skill Check chances in the Dream World.

    Sheep Block:

    Slightly reduces Dream Transition time.

    -Time to fall asleep is reduced by 0.5 seconds.

    Kid’s Drawing:

    An unattributed drawing clearly crafted by a young child.

    Slightly increases Dream Demon range.

    Garden Rake:

    Slightly increases Movement speed while casting Dream Demon.

    Prototype Claws:

    Moderately increases Movement speed while casting Dream Demon.

    Outdoor Rope:

    While Survivors are in the Dream World:

    Applies a moderate (-6%) Action Speed penalty to Repair, Healing, and Sabotage actions.

    Nancy’s Sketch:

    Moderately increases Dream Demon range

    Green Dress:

    Considerably decreases Skill Check chances in the Dream World.

    Slightly increases Dream Projection charge time.

    Cat Block:

    Moderately reduces Dream Transition time.

    -Time to fall asleep is reduced by 1 second.

    Unicorn Block:

    Considerably reduces Dream Transition time.

    -Time to fall asleep is reduced by 1.5 seconds.

    Swing Chains:

    Survivors suffer from an increased Action Speed penalty of 60% after 30 seconds in the Dream World

    Survivors only see glimpses of The Nightmare during the Dream Transition.

    Nancy’s Masterpiece:

    Tremendously increases Dream Demon range.

    Jump Rope:

    Tremendously decreases Survivors' Action speed when in the Dream World.

    Blue Dress:

    Moderately decreases Skill Check chances in the Dream World.

    Moderately reduces Dream Projection charge time.

    “I had to keep you awake long enough so when you finally slept… you would never wake up again” -Freddy Krueger

    Pill Bottle:

    Survivors do not see The Nightmare during the Dream Transition.

    Paint Thinner:

    Tremendously increases Movement speed while casting Dream Demon.

    Class Photo:

    -When a Survivor is pulled into the Dream Transition, all other Survivors' Auras are revealed to The Nightmare for the duration of the Dream Transition.

    -Tremendously increases Dream Transition time.

    Time to fall asleep is increased by 2 seconds.

    “Z” Block:

    Tremendously reduces Dream Transition time.

    -Time to fall asleep reduced by 2 seconds.

    Red Paint Brush:

    -Tremendously decreases The Nightmare's Terror Radius.

    -Tremendously reduces Dream Transition time.

    Time to fall asleep is reduced by 2 seconds.

    -Slightly reduces The Nightmare's Movement speed.

    “Don’t be afraid. I can make it the way it was... Just the way you liked it” -Freddy Krueger

    Black Box:

    -Broken pallets are replaced by Dream Pallets

    -Non-sleeping survivors cannot see or interact with Dream Pallets

    “I can sleep… I just don’t want to” -Dean Russell

    Extra details:

    -The Nightmare’s Movement Speed Penalty for putting a survivor into the Dream Transition lasts for 1 second, as it originally was.

    -The Nightmare has a 24 metres Terror Radius

    -Dying Survivors who are healed to the Injured State aren’t automatically woken up.

    -A Survivor’s Aura is revealed to the Nightmare immediately after said survivor leaves his Terror Radius.

    P.S

    And that is it! My idea for a Freddy change that should restore his fun aspect and address his weaknesses. Please let me know what you think, and as always, see you you in the Fog!

    -Signed by GeneralV, your local Freddy main.

    EDIT; Just keep the concept up to date :)

    Here it is

  • Let him alter the map more than just pallets and snares like dream generators

  • Get Robert Englund to do voiceover.

    Replace blood puddles with survivor specific hallucinations that trap/slow the player.

  • Disclaimer: I've not seen the remake that this Freddy is based on, but I have seen all the Robert Englund ones once each a little while ago, including Freddy vs Jason, so. Do with that what you will.

    I think my idea for fixing Freddy mechanically would also help fix him thematically, but before we get into that, it's worth considering just what it is that BHVR are trying to evoke about his lore in the first place- that being, the Dream World. I think the idea is that Freddy can't actually prey on survivor's dreams in the Entity's realm, and so in-universe I imagine that he just gets to treat the Trial as though it is a dream, and the micro-sleep concept is there as an inverse of the reason why the generators are there; to heighten the dread, but also provide hope that Freddy can be evaded and that escape is possible.

    With that in mind, "treat the Trial like a dream" is clearly the best avenue to go down for a lore-accurate power, and believe it or not I think Freddy's current power is infinitely closer to that than his original one. All we need to do is drill down further, and to do that, I suggest two major changes:

    1: Both pallets and snares as basekit. Let them share an ammo pool and I really don't think this would be broken. I suggest this because the pallets are thematically and lore-wise just far more interesting, they're just way too weak and situational to ever bother bringing on their own. So, let the Trial feel his to manipulate, and have pallets be something survivors just inherently can't trust visually when they're asleep. Which leads me to...

    2: A complete addon overhaul emphasising fake objects. Freddy torments his prey by bringing them to a surreal nightmare, where they can't trust their eyes and ears and where he reigns supreme. The best way to do that mechanically in a game like Dead By Daylight (where, mechanically, Freddy still has to follow the rules) is to add in more phantom objects only visible in the Dream World. Fake totems that flicker and crackle like they're lit up and that induce status effects if they're cleansed, partially-completed generators that dissipate into smoke + cause survivors to scream if they're touched, maybe even funkier stuff like hallucinations of footsteps or other audio cues. These should be addons both to allow for more variety than would be feasible in a basekit, and also so players can't be sure what they can trust until they've identified his addons.

    This'd also make him, like, way more interesting and unique than his current incarnation, which is a nice bonus lol.