The Board Game has an idea I wish was in the actual DBD...
They made each Survivor have a "Signature Perk" that only that Survivor can have. They kind of went with the Rainbow Six Vegas idea I always wanted in DBD. Where you can only have 1 of each character on your team, so you'll never see 4 Dwights and all that nonsense. It would actually limit a lot of team comps, which might just be a good thing for perk spamming and what not. I suppose they'd have to make a separate mode for this type of thing, since DBD has already gone so far in its current form.
I do like the idea of Ex: Dwight having a perk that only he can have while being able to still have the rest of each characters perks be interchangeable. (not including any other Survivors personal "Signature" perk of course.) I get that the board game only has 1 Dwight per board, but I always thought of this idea being in DBD to make everything simpler. Maybe even have categories of Survivors like the board game does. Dwight is a "Support" type while Meg is a "Survival" type character.
I really like the more orderly rules in comparison to how chaotic the actual game can be...with 4 people running...DH, DS, Unbreakable, and BT..... It gets really old, annoying, and tedious really fast.. That actually cannot ever happen in the board game rules though......... WHICH IS AWESOME!!! :D
Below is a description that is in the instruction manual of the uniqueness of each Survivor in the board game. I like how they used the old perk colors to correlate the "Signature Perk" vs the others.
(Signature Perk) Prove Thyself — When you would interact, another Survivor in your space of a connected space interacts instead.
In the board game, we have the concept of signature perks. The signature perk isn’t in the deck of custom perks, so the only way to use it is to play this specific character. This is Dwight’s signature perk, and in the way of these signature perks, it’s the one that really defines his play style.
It’s also one of the most powerful support perks in the game.

Comments
There is definitely merit to the idea, but we are way past the point of feasibly being able to implement it without causing WAAAY more frustration than it's worth.
Another interesting thing the board game does is there's no player elimination. The killer wins by getting 8 total hook tokens built up. While a survivor is on a hook they generate one token per turn. So an analogy for the video game would be that, instead of players dying on hooks, they instead each fuel a ritual timer for the killer and once the timer is filled the killer wins. But until that happens no survivor actually dies or is out of the game entirely, it's just that the more survivors the killer can keep on hooks the faster their victory timer progresses. I don't know if that would be better or worse than the current system for the video game, but I can see some advantages to it in some respects.
Different game mode perhaps?
I was really thinking they'd do this awhile after the game took off. It would be really nice to see Survivors become more UNIQUE and not just swap outs of each other in terms of utility.
You only want to see Laurie, David, Bill and Mikaela?