Wraith is a (partial) answer to the Shift+W meta.
I mained Wraith until his nerf, and it is indisputable he is only a shadow of his former self. Right after the nerf, I'd get blasted time and time again by god loopers (since he no longer could consistently hit at the pallet with his reduced lunge).
However, now that the meta has shifted, I've started playing him again and he can SOMETIME surprise you simply because he is a (partial) counter to the meta. He catches up to you in 6 or 7 seconds, not 25 or 30 (which is the case with everyone else, except nurse/spirit/blight). With a shadow dance add-on (either green or purple, I run it 100% of the time), you can fake an uncloak at pallets and chew through them (and them be on top of them in 6 seconds again).
God loopers and top-tier SWF will still eat you for lunch- Wraith is a weak killer. But the point is that people who never learned anything except Shift+W often panic when you are on top of them literally all the time. They start throwing pallets way too early and creating giant deadzones, and if you are lucky (i.e., 3 gens don't blow during your first chase) you have a real chance at short chases and a successful game (I run bamboozle on Wraith 100% of the time to create even more panic, since it synergizes so well with shadowdance).
Comments
I mean Wraith was overpowered before the nerf.
I only started playing wraith after the buff, and my killrate with wraith was higher than with any other killer. Very little mechanical skill was involved, just picked up and performed better than anything else without effort.
After nerf stopped playing wraith.
Also I don't deny against god survivors he was lacking even without nerfs, still he needed the nerf
He's a great example of a counter to the shift w gamers, but the issue is that he gets looped hard, and the only reason people should shift w is if they can't loop you. So you'll do great until you face someone who's played this game from 2019 or earlier when looping was actually relevant
Using a specific killer is not a solution to any game-wide problem.
Plague doesn't solve the healing meta.
Mobile killers don't solve the shift+w meta.