This is a party game?

First i want to say I'm not trying to say this is an e sports competitive game.

So I've seen this it's just a party quote everywhere and the more I hear it the more I just don't understand that idea.

Party games generally have a few things in common, most of them are made up of a bunch of mini games. When the game start ever player is on equal ground and while skills matter there is a very limited amount of skill need.

I'm curious where this idea comes from because I feel like this game is more casual competitive then a party game.

Comments

  • Because DbD is not party game, it should be but it is not. Reasons:

    Community takes this game so serious, BHVR has bad decisions, people are so toxic to each other etc.

  • BHVR is too serious and players are also too serious to properly play or make this game, it's the thing.

  • It’s more so a way of saying that dbd was never intended to be a serious game much like F13th for example. It was meant to be a fun horror game to play with friends or online

  • I've always understood it as meaning that DBD is an unbalanced casual game. It's also a game that's RNG heavy, and isn't skill intensive as either role.

  • @Phasmamain said:

    It’s more so a way of saying that dbd was never intended to be a serious game much like F13th for example. It was meant to be a fun horror game to play with friends or online

    But that only applies to half the game the other half is always a solo experience that you can't play with friends.

  • Because it is a really fun game to play drunk with a bunch of friends getting jump scared and laughing.

    Of course it seems each year more and more of the player base shifts away from that mindset and more into a competitive space, however I do believe that was the original intention behind the phrase.

  • @fulltonon said:

    BHVR is too serious and players are also too serious to properly play or make this game, it's the thing.

    Thats like everyone people say oh this a party game but go into every game with full meta on both sides.

  • I think people mostly use "party game" and "casual game" interchangeably, which in my opinion is a mistake.

    A party game is one you can set up quickly for local multiplayer, and that's generally easy to pick up and understand. Y'know, the kind of thing you'd slap on at a party for fun, like your Mario Karts and your Mario Party titles. DBD is... not that.

    A casual game is definitely more fair, that's just one you're playing to chill out instead of honing your skills to be the very best and try your hardest to win.

    Unfortunately the problem is that "casual game" is a label applied personally by the player, not actually something inherent to the game itself. So DBD isn't actually "a casual game", it just is a casual experience for some players.

  • @AsherFrost said:

    Because it is a really fun game to play drunk with a bunch of friends getting jump scared and laughing.

    Of course it seems each year more and more of the player base shifts away from that mindset and more into a competitive space, however I do believe that was the original intention behind the phrase.

    I got a few competitive games that are fun when I'm drunk and I actually do ok does that make them party games to? BTW one is an actual e sport.

    Why though what made the playerbase take such a serious turn?

  • @jesterkind said:

    I think people mostly use "party game" and "casual game" interchangeably, which in my opinion is a mistake.

    A party game is one you can set up quickly for local multiplayer, and that's generally easy to pick up and understand. Y'know, the kind of thing you'd slap on at a party for fun, like your Mario Karts and your Mario Party titles. DBD is... not that.

    A casual game is definitely more fair, that's just one you're playing to chill out instead of honing your skills to be the very best and try your hardest to win.

    Unfortunately the problem is that "casual game" is a label applied personally by the player, not actually something inherent to the game itself. So DBD isn't actually "a casual game", it just is a casual experience for some players.

    This is pretty much my exact take on it.

    I think "it's a party game" is used to justify some of the bs that can happen. Like oh you got totally screwed over by something you had no control over chill it's just a party game.

  • @Gamedozer7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2834790#Comment_2834790

    I got a few competitive games that are fun when I'm drunk and I actually do ok does that make them party games to? BTW one is an actual e sport.

    Why though what made the playerbase take such a serious turn?

    I'm not going to say they can't count. As Andrew WK says, a party is a celebration of life and fun 😊

    As far as what made people more serious? Honestly I blame the popular streamers. They stream like it's a contest, getting angry and complaining about small ######### instead of having fun. I mean, look at what a channel like UPupdowndown or OutsideXbox does when they stream dbd and compare that to those streamers known for this game. One side seems to be having a lot more fun, the other is focused primarily on winning.

    Now If being competitive and trying to win at any cost is fun for you, go for it, but there's definitely been a shift.

  • @AsherFrost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2834799#Comment_2834799

    I'm not going to say they can't count. As Andrew WK says, a party is a celebration of life and fun 😊

    As far as what made people more serious? Honestly I blame the popular streamers. They stream like it's a contest, getting angry and complaining about small ######### instead of having fun. I mean, look at what a channel like UPupdowndown or OutsideXbox does when they stream dbd and compare that to those streamers known for this game. One side seems to be having a lot more fun, the other is focused primarily on winning.

    Now If being competitive and trying to win at any cost is fun for you, go for it, but there's definitely been a shift.

    Honestly as a killer it gets hard not to take your foot of the gas because it can go bad really fast.

    The other night I was playing huntress and I was rolling this group I was at like 5-6 hooks with 1-2 gens done max so I pulled back. I ran back into a Meg I just hooked and let her run off she stopped and noticed. Next thing I know I got 8 hooks 1 gen left and now the team is bodyblocking and trying to sabo hooks. Is like as soon as you pull back a little as a killer they match has the high potential of going sideways.

    When I try and mess around and not be serious or play non-metal builds my games last about 5 minutes. Also I've got over 900 hrs and have never ever got a pity killer or hook from survivors.

  • IIRC dev is the one who said this game as party game.