Auric Cells Now Have A Tax?
Ever since the store came out, I've been buying a few Steam cards here and there to buy cosmetics. Usually I just put in my wallet code, pick the pack I want, and then go check out what cosmetics I can afford. Today, however, I noticed that the pack was asking for $21.35 instead of just $20.00. I checked the other packs and those all have some extra fees now too. I know that the tax wasn't there before because I would always have the same amount of money I had before putting in the code and after I bought the pack of Auric Cells. Does anyone know if this is a change in policy for Behavior or Steam? Because if so, I wasn't notified about it.
Comments
Might be Chicago's 9% 'Amusement Tax'?
That's assuming you live in Chicago though.
https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/14/gamers-outraged-chicagos-new-9-percent-amusement-tax/
I might be wrong though, I'm too lazy to figure out what 109% of $20 is lmao sorry.
But if it's not the 'Amusement Tax' then I assume you're seeing Steam's price change because of regional pricing. Dead By Daylight only shows Auric Cell prices in USD I believe, but I could be wrong about that. The price in-game may appear different to the true price.
As backwards as it gets.
It could potentially be a new sales tax in your area. Whenever I buy content on steam, I get charged the sales for my state.
We have taxes on psn
Thanks for responding, everyone! Would have replied sooner, but my power went out for the entire night.
I don't live in Chicago, so the Amusement Tax isn't what's doing it. The sales tax in my area does match up with the taxes on the packs, but the tax rate is the same as it was before I started getting charged for it. I just don't know why suddenly the taxes are applicable to it when before they weren't.
So you can pay for the tax at the store instead of just on Steam? That'd be nice.
Im pretty sure that they have always had taxes
It is my understanding that, in the USA, prices sometimes do not include tax. Maybe that changed recently.
I am pretty sure that auric cells have always had taxes
It's not about having or not having taxes. Obviously the things were taxed. It's about whether the tax was displayed before the purchase or after.
I play console so I have always had tax on auric cells and I know steam has taxes I have a steam account
I thinkg they just stopped including tax into the original price. That means that before they included taxes into the original price, meaning they'll get less than $20 in the end (not counting Valve's share). Now they just add taxes to the original price, meaning that they'll get exactly $20 and everything above is taxes.
At least that's how it was for RUB Steam when we'ce got new digital content tax. Part of the content became 18% more expensive, while other part saved it's cost meaning less income for the developer.
I hope that made thing more clear for you.
Btw, DbD shows regional prices in the store.
That would make sense and explain why I noticed the change. However, some of the console players on this thread have said that they always had the tax when using the store. So I'm still unsure if this was just something that happened on PC, or if there's something else going on.
ThAt WaSn'T VeRy Ca$h MOneY oF YoU