What *Exactly* Makes NOED Unfair?
So, I'm going to lay out my own position first so nobody's engaging under false pretences- while I don't think NOED is necessarily "fine", I think that it is by no means OP, unfair, or unhealthy. I think it's a mediocre, inconsistent perk that provides very little value at a point in the game where you're running up against the clock to actually use that value.
But... that is not the overriding opinion of the community. The community seems pretty split, and a lot of people seem to think NOED is unfair and/or unhealthy. I've never seen a good argument as to why, so that's what I'm asking for here! If you think NOED is unfair, unhealthy, or OP, tell me why!
Specifically I'm looking for a little more detail- I've seen people say, for instance, that NOED "gives unearned kills" or "rewards bad play", but never any explanation of why they think it does either of those. I do genuinely want to know the reasons behind thinking this way, this isn't a bad faith gesture, but I also will probably prod you for a little more explanation if something doesn't seem to make sense.
Let's try and keep it civil, though! No sense chiming in just to state that you don't think NOED is an unhealthy perk.
Comments
What I would consider NOED to be unfair:
Because 1 makes it impossible for the hooked survivor to escape, you cannot even hook trade(which, especially with MMR reducing the most MMR from the survivor who dies first, is objectively unfair)
And for 2, you dont always have time to cleanse all 5 totems, sometimes the killer is simply already oppressive enough to not even need NOED and survivors barely get to finish the final gen with already 1 teammate dead and then NOED gives them another for free unless Noed spawns next to one of the survivors.
3 is just that a killer can be chased for nearly 5 gens, a random teammate finishing the 5th gen and then simply camp you.
How to fix it? IMO that is quite easy: Change NOED's mechanics to something similar as Pentimento.
In the case of 1, survivors should have cleansed that totem earlier, its just 1 specific totem, every game at least 1 totem can be cleansed.
In the case of 2, Survivors wouldnt need to cleanse all 5 totems, just all tactical totems.
In the case of 3, the killer would need to let go of chase to quickly ignite NOED(again, Pentimento speeds)
Bonus: snuffing a boon totem would instantly apply NOED too if elligable
It would make NOED require some killer interaction rather than just having it work instantly. Just like all other endgame perks require killer interaction. NOED is fine as it is in terms of power, the activation requirement is my issue.
I believe it is fine as is.
Cause survivors don't want a challenge.
They can try and lie and say it's a balancing issue but ignore the crutches they use to stand on their mountain that they want to die on so to speak.
BHVR can get rid of NOED at the same time they get rid of Dead Hard. Seems like a fair trade to me!