Clearer definition of "HARASSMENT: COMMUNICATIONS ABUSE"
I wish BHVR made clearer definitions of what they constitute reportable harassment in-game. On the website and forum Game Rules pages as well as during in-game reporting. When I search the forum, I get the notion that BHVR does allow a certain amount/level of insults, for instance. Different games/developers/platforms allow for various degrees or forms of insults, intimidation, harassment or "smack talk", as well as having different subjective perceptions of what they even constitute to be an insult to begin with.
Personally, I think the healthiest thing for a community is to not even allow the "mildest" forms of rude remarks: "ez", "noob", etc (even if they shouldn't necessarily result in anything more than short, temporary chat suspensions). I don't agree that they're inherent to online gaming - a notion some (or majority parts of some) developers/communities have (though not all) - rather, they're made to be. As far as I understand BHVR's position, those "mild" insults should not be reported.
But what I think is healthiest to allow isn't necessarily what this post is about: which is to have clearer formal definitions of what this game constitutes reportable insults in-game and what it doesn't.
Comments
This may sounds blunt, but if you're genuinely hurt by someone saying "ez, noob, you're bad, get rekt, put some ice on those ankles" or anything like that, you probably just shouldn't play online PvP games. There are VERY few games that will block terms like that (Overwatch did block gg ez and has a filter to automatically type something nice in your place but that's a rarity).
Things that should be reported typically include racism, homophobia, hate speech, threats, mentions of self harm, things that are just inherently more serious and hurtful.
If someone says ez, just tell them their mom was easy last night and move on. Just gotta know how to hit em with a good one liner and make the rest of the group laugh
I don't care regardless what ######### they say in chat (maybe all that years of lol made me dead inside) but I never understood why some people say it's part of online gaming to be mean a good smack talk or even e constructive discussion is fair game but stupid stuff like gg ez isn't hurting me it just makes me wonder how dumb the other one is. In general people like to tolerate stuff online they would never tolerate in real life if we play basketball for example and after we win my while tram gives you five minutes of constant gloating and taunting you would probably get banned from future games und maybe get beaten after. All that stuff is so unnecessary I don't know why so many people want it his to continue if you know what I mean
Well it's obvious toxicity and shouldn't be norm in the PvP games from the beginning, banning them only does good for community so I don't see any reason not to do so.
I'm not saying it's a good thing people trash talk, I'm saying if games start banning people as you suggest for saying things like "you're bad, or gg ez", that's a huge over step and most gaming companies are not gonna go that far for something so minor. Hell, they barely punish racist and more serious toxicity issues in the gaming community (not just DBD)
What's the difference? Anyway, BHVR does not ban players for insults, no one in my circle who breaks the rules has ever received a ban. It's useless, the players insulted my nationality many times and they all continue to play. They are even impudent cheaters who are not blocked in the game. I'm so tired of this.
It's not over step, it's just right step that requires sacrifice.
Even though it's obviously right things to do, it's just that no company is bold enough to sacrifice their precious money printer I guess.