Removing depipping
I think BHVR should remove depipping entirely. I thought of this due to survivors depipping in the case of a facecamping/tunneler.
First, a few statements and definitions so this doesn't get derailed.
(A) I consider tunneling to be the first three of possibly four hook states to be on one survivor.
(B) I am not stating anything about proxy camping nor if facecamping and/or tunneling should be removed. My argument is based on these being facts of life when playing DbD.
If survivors are put into a position where there is a facecamping tunneler the most efficient course of action is that the survivor on the hook should last as long as possible and the remaining survivors should do gens. However, without knowing exactly where the gens are (in solo queue) or Deadlock and/or the gen spawn being RNG it is quite often not possible to do all gens before the first survivor is sacrificed.
As well, the pressure to do gens as the killer is facecamping does not leave time to do bones. Without facecamping in play I agree survivors should do bones but, in this situation, NOED is also most likely in play. With NOED, the killer, with the exception of facing a far more skilled SWF, should be able to get a 2nd down. After this, the most efficient play is to open the exit gates and leave while the 2nd hooked survivor buys time.
In this situation, the survivors are making the right play but will depip regardless of if they are escaping or sacrificed. That scenario is already not fun at all and losing a pip over it is just adding insult to injury.
My suggestions are:
(A) If one survivor has three of four hook states then stop the depip.
This is not ideal as it could lead to more survivors suiciding on hook. My preference is
(B) Remove depipping entirely. Being stomped by a bully squad SWF is already demoralizing as is being facecamped and tunneled. The depip is just an insult afterwards.
If grades were supposed to have any connection to match making I would not be making this argument. However, they don't and are meant to incentivize playtime which gets rewarded with BP on the 13th. If that is the case, then why do we even have depipping? As an example, I find getting to Iri 1 as a killer to be easy but it's frustrating as a survivor once I hit Iri 4. There are people who would be the opposite as well. Instead of throwing in a demoralizing action that occurs after a frustrating game, why not just get rid of depipping and have grades work as solely an incentive?
This could possibly help alleviate frustration during those times when pouring salt in a cut seems like it would have been less painful than your last DbD match and help feel more likely to play after either getting stomped by an SWF or being facecamped and tunneled.
Comments
I agree totally. A no pip end result feels like the logical response to the situation. It really is not just to punish someone who is already frustrated with the situation their in. A depip is really a punishment for something out of your control and is pouring salt on a wound. Needs to be addressed.
Since grades aren't used for matchmaking there's no reason to keep negative pips in the game.
I think we should not remove the depip but instead working in order to make that kind of gamplay unappealing.
FC should be a viable option only for endgame situations.
We can do both but it's not just limited to facecamping. An iridescent ranked survivor will probably depip if the killer afks during a match. As well, there's no reason a killer should depip after meeting a well coordinated SWF that, since there are no adjustments to MMR, they stomp the killer. With grades only being a BP reward now, there's no reason to keep depipping.
I honestly never liked the ranks being only for BP.
When they decided to introduce the mmr they could have easily implemented it in the grades system instead of creating 2 different evaluation, one for BP and the other for MMR.
Why? In a match the killer should receive a lot of BP but adjusted to face weaker survs?
Or receive few BP but have to face stronger opponents?
BTW i think if there is a afk or a DC the opponent should be rewarded, it is not that difficult, if the player X never moved or stropped moving for 5 minutes it is an afk.
I agree it makes no sense to depip if it's all about farming.
I don't see a reason for depipping to exist when ranks only measure how much you've played this month.
I agree, no matter what happens to face-camping/tunnelling as "strats" both survivor AND killer de-pips should be removed, even in the case of DC (not necessarily because they ragequit, but the game has a tendency to have bugs that cause crashes and even in the last 5 seconds of a game, a DC/crash is a double de-pip). Even if this means the requirements to pip/double pip must be adjusted because frankly, this isn't a game where you get a minimum chance all the time, sometimes you load in, get spotted, right before your first hit someone pops haunted ground and you go down, get hooked and get face-camped or farmed off the hook. Not really any fault of your own, just unlucky, and why should that result in a de-pip? Or, say you play killer, and win a few chases very quickly but the rest have BNPs and prove thyself, you can prove your chase capability but then be punished because gens get finished so quick you don't have time to accumulate enough score to safety pip even. Would love to see the system adjusted in any way to be less frustrating. Final note, from just my personal observation, I truly think it'd be beneficial to the health of the game because I often hear, after a sweaty/toxic performance, that they "just need their pips" which is fair but it sucks that, especially in higher ranks, that justification has to be used.
Spot on sir (or maam), depip should be reserved to 1,2,3 iridescent ranks to make a maintained 1 rank a challenge to players, should not depip level 4 iridescent rank, once iridescent never lose that level back to gold level, since BP is the reward for obtaining the rank anyway. And no more 2 pip loss 1 pip is enough of a bummer. Especially since getting dropped from a server can and does happen which causes the match penalty as well, man that really annoys me, I had a match were a double pip up was inevitable and got DC penalty and double pip loss when I got booted from server, I'm LAN connected so it wasn't my dropped wifi or anything on my end that caused the DC. Still had 5 min penalty though.ugh Shows how much we love the game that we keep playing with all these issues, we keep coming back.