After playing a lot of Bubba the last few days I think I figured out why he is so hated

Hello everyone,

the titel says it all. Whenever you get a poll of "most hated killer to play against" or the like, Bubba, or sometimes more specific "facecamping Bubba", nearly always makes it to the top of the list.

So I have played him extensively the last few days and took pains to facecamp as little as possible. It happened a couple of times, when there were only two survivors left, one on the hook next to a 90% done generator, where I just didnt see it viable to patrol to one of the other two, while the other survivor was in the bushes around.

Besides that, whenever I hooked someone, I would leave as if I had Devour Hope equiped and visit some other generator. When I noticed some feisty survivor going for the unhook right behind my back, of course I did the infamous double hook chainsaw mowdown, but I didnt bank on it. I also nearly always gave the last one the hatch, unless they played super sweaty and used each and every last, underhanded trick.

Still, I got lot of salt, lots of DCs and suicides on first hooks and lots of "lmao worst killer ever" directed at me. And I think here is why: Bubba is essentially always dangerous, like a killer should be. You can´t do all this "funny" "quirky" thinks like running circles around him and body blocking for ages and then escape when he wipes his blade clean, because you got no second health state to bank on against him, if he gets his chainsaw reved up, its game over man. And I think a lot of the better survivors have become used to playing with the killer, and sorta don't respect him anymore. And this kinda tactics don't work with Bubba, its sorta like back in the beginning, when killers were this big, imposing, undefeatable monolith, and if cocky survivors get floored than its always the unfair killers kit, ie "nice face-camping", "lmao (BAD WORD) tunneling (BAD WORD)" and other niceties.

So I would wish for more killers to be this dangerous and to be able to put the fear back into the survivors, but I got no clue how. I just hope that cute, little Bubba won't be nerfed, I really like to play him every now and then and he is some easy farming. So when people say that you can't play him any other way then the face-camper, I call BS, because I was very successful with him roaming around. Of course some groups will slam gens so efficient that you got next to no chance, but even then you can get the occasional 1-2K or even more, if they get cocky with their rescue attempts.

This are my findings after some 30+ games with Bubba in the last couple of days. Thanks for a civil conversation :)

EDIT: here is the build I used, which is super non-meta: BBQ, Franklins, Tinkerer and either Shadowborn or Nurse's Calling.

Comments

  • He's fun. He is as easy to play as Survivor. That's why he gets hated on.

  • I agree, when I'm playing survivors, as soon as I see Bubba I play very cautiously as things can snowball very quickly. And when I play Bubba I get tons of hate despite not camping and not tunneling either. To escape against Bubba you can't play cocky and I think that's part of the reason he gets the hate; although Bubba has tons of counterplay Bubba's dangerous if your goal is to annoy the killer.

  • I actually like going against Bubba, I think he is both fun to go against and play as as long as he doesnt facecamp.

  • I really enjoy playing against Bubba when he's not facecamping. He's strong but balanced and there's some plays you can make against him that don't work on other killers. He's a fantastic chaser and pallet eater who turns terrifying once the area's clean of resources; it's just that his basement playstyle attracts its own type of player between the low effort and skill and the salt it generates.

    While you're right that survivors can't do a lot of cocky plays against him, good loopers can still thrash him if he doesn't bring Bamboozle. He doesn't handle windows well and he can still be bullied in some ways. It's just that he's also very, very good at bullying and he can turn the tables very fast when he gains the upper hand, and he's the best killer at putting his foot down and saying "you shall not pass."

    I play him quite agreeably whenever I get a daily/want to get some face progress and also I noticed he gets BMed more than other killers. People will also often DC or kill themselves if I happen to put them in the basement, even if I have no intention on defending it and I've already demonstrably not played campy before that point.

  • This also explains why my first few days were so hellish; I read a guide for new players and it said that unlocking BBQ and Chili first was the best for reducing grind so I played Bubba. I also didn't camp because the guide pointed out that if you camp you don't develop the skills needed to chase later on so that meant as soon as I got out of complete newbie ranks, which didn't take very long at all I got more experienced survivors with all the baggage. So they nearly always escaped against someone with less than a week playing and BM'ed me mercilessly at every opportunity.

  • If Bubba doesn't facecamp, he cool.

    If he does (and in 104 games, EVERY BUBBA DID) then he's literally the worst.

  • Basically bubba is a noob stomper, most people that hate bubba cant loop or play efficiently... or farm hooks.

    I like versing bubba though, tbf I like versing all killers but bubba is higher up 9n the killers I like to verse

  • @Laluzi said:

    I really enjoy playing against Bubba when he's not facecamping. He's strong but balanced and there's some plays you can make against him that don't work on other killers. He's a fantastic chaser and pallet eater who turns terrifying once the area's clean of resources; it's just that his basement playstyle attracts its own type of player between the low effort and skill and the salt it generates.

    While you're right that survivors can't do a lot of cocky plays against him, good loopers can still thrash him if he doesn't bring Bamboozle. He doesn't handle windows well and he can still be bullied in some ways. It's just that he's also very, very good at bullying and he can turn the tables very fast when he gains the upper hand, and he's the best killer at putting his foot down and saying "you shall not pass."

    I play him quite agreeably whenever I get a daily/want to get some face progress and also I noticed he gets BMed more than other killers. People will also often DC or kill themselves if I happen to put them in the basement, even if I have no intention on defending it and I've already demonstrably not played campy before that point.

    I once had a game were I stumbled over my first survivor practically immediately. I saw her from a distance and vaguely walked over, found her hiding behind a bush and downed her, all within in the first 30s of the game. She then killed herself so fast on hook that no-one had time to come over for a save.

    I felt a bit bad for that, but eh, that sometimes happens. Against most other killers we would at least have had a chase and some semblance of a fair chance, but this opener utterly crushed this survivors spirit. The rest of the game was, of course, rather killer-favored and I got reprimanded in the after game chat that I should have let them escape or something after that suicide-on-hook. I mean, I already play non-camping, but I won't go easy on ya just because one player got salty; same with DCs, thats sad, but not neither my doing, nore my problem.

  • Survivors actually don't know what to do then they get a killer that actually threaten them in a game. There's a lot of leeway for a Survivor to mess with the killer but when a Killer like Bubba start to become a threat they instantly fall apart. It's why Slugging is notoriously hated by Survivor. They suddenly get a ton of pressure for the first time in a long time and they don't know what the ######### to do.