Feedback On The Bone Chill Event
I love it. This is a definite step up from the Halloween event, in my opinion- while the mini rift was very nice, I didn't find the pumpkins to be especially transformative elements of the trial, and I didn't like how few BP you got for interacting with the themed hooks/generators.
This, though, very nearly completely nails it- the interactive element is both more impactful and much funnier than the pumpkins, the decorations are nice and festive, and the cosmetics you earn are both pretty nice to look at and much less frustrating to earn since you essentially can't be denied them if you're actively going for them. It's clear the team learned from the flaws with previous events like the Halloween event and the Anniversary event, so kudos on that front.
If this event is to be repeated next year, though, or something similar to it, I do have some notes.
Namely, I think it's a bit of an oversight to have Killer powers like the Doctor's Shock ability break the snowman but not give the reward for doing so- I'm not sure if it'd be better for the snowman to tank that power or for both parties to still be guaranteed the cosmetic afterwards, but I lean slightly towards the latter.
Additionally, while the accusations of imbalance are wildly, profoundly overstated, there is a kernel of truth to them- perhaps next time the Killer could have a shorter weapon-wipe animation, to still encourage survivors to hop in without giving them quite as much distance once they're hit? It's really a very minor point when all parties are approaching the event with the intent to have fun instead of play competitively, but sadly that can't be guaranteed.
Either way, I wanted to air my feedback, positive and negative, on the event before I... go back into the game and keep playing, probably.
Happy holidays, all.
Comments
If everyone played this game more casually, I wouldn't mind the free hits from the snowmen, but as it currently stands, they need to reduce the attack cooldown or make them deal damage through the snowman
"Need" is an extremely strong word here, but the minor annoyance that comes from survivors trying to use the snowmen tactically (or more accurate, from the few times it actually works) could be remedied by reducing the attack cooldown. If survivors could be hit through snowmen they'd be far less incentivised to mess around with them, though, that's a bad call.
Like I said, if they do this again next year, that'd be a decent tweak.
Well, technically, Doctors Shock also fell under the catagory of powers that could block pallets with Bloodfavour before they required the healthstate.
Doctor and Clown are both killers who have a special attack that doesnt injure, since the special attacks can very easily lead to an injure. So they both do break the snowman, but since the snowman seems to be coded to grant the reward based on tanking a healthstate, it doesnt reward.
Also, I have yet to see a survivor actually gain distance from a snowman. The animation is quite slow and you cannot run untill after the animation is fully finished. There are some very niche situations where it will help them, but the same could be said for pumpkins, where survivors could gain haste to run quite far ahead.
My personal changes would be:
This would both give the killer an indication that someone is actually inside a snowman and not waste time smacking one just in case, while also giving an incentive on both sides to just have a little more fun.
I don't think it's that strong of a word since it grants a free protection hit and happens every game. It's like Mom but easier to activate
I think you're right about why the snowmen don't grant the reward from those powers- maybe it's just too finnicky to code in an exception like that? I dunno, I'd still like to see that broken snowman give the reward all the same, if it's possible.
I'd be down for those changes- killers hopping into snowmen would be pretty hilarious lmao
It's not like MoM at all since survivors don't get a speed boost and move extremely slowly while in the snowman, while being unable to perform any actions.
survivor in a snowman=survivor not doing totems or gens
If a survivor can jump into a snowman without getting hit, you werent gonna hit them for quite some time. They could have easily ran to a nearby pallet or window. It doesnt seem like they could have, but that is really how long those animations last.
In most cases, the survivor loses distance even when using the snowman tactically and moving away from the killer for as long as they are inside. My only gripe I have is that you MUST hit a snowman to see if it's empty. If a killer didnt need to hit a snowman due to some indication(other than the snowman moving). But untill they add something, I am actually keen on running Unrelenting on my lower mmr killers and cooldown addons on my higher mmr killers
I take it that the lack of the "Enter" prompt for the Killer would act as the sign that a Survivor is inside a Snowman (Re: point #2)?