Buff nurse, Overperforming Cenobite, and MMR
No, I'm not saying nurse should be buffed. What I'm saying is that the nerfs to Cenobite's add-ons were unnecessary and the logic behind it doesn't make sense. If Cenobite is overperforming as it had a roughly 60% kill rate then Nurse, who had a roughly 43% kill rate overall, needs buffs.
Just saying that about Nurse helps display the problems with balancing the game and I think a lot of this has to do with basing MMR solely off of kills or escapes. I find it hard to believe that there were lots of high level survivors quaking in fear over the thought of facing a Cenobite.
If anything the Cenobite was good at low to middle MMRs since it introduced a secondary objective. This made the games more engaging as it introduced a secondary objective other than do gens. That made the Cenobite both more fun to play as and against in my experience.
Currently, if we have an equally skilled killer matched to survivors the survivors will win. While this is not true for low MMR it is true for high MMR as the mechanics currently favor survivors escaping. This does not help as being camped and tunneled feels terrible but, once you hit mid-range, if you don't camp or tunnel you hit the point where your games are I stomp them, the next group stomps me, I stomp the group after, the group after that stomps me, etc.
I do like the principle of a 50% win rate but in the form of 2K, 2E; not 4K followed by 4E. Instead of weakening killers that weren't strong to begin with, please BHVR, work on balance issues such as buffing the weaker killers, recalibrating MMR, and making the games lengthier while doing something to make being camped or tunneled not as necessary and not as helpful.
Btw BHVR, I do like Portrait of A Murder, it's awesome, but why put resources and time on weakening B tier or lower killers instead of putting out good content and fixing balance issues? Good patch overall but I think Legion or the Clown, as an example, need buffs far more than the Cenobite and other weaker killers need nerfs.
Comments
Yeah I've had thoughts along those lines too.
Basically - if you are going to nerf killers because they are too strong at low MMR, regardless of their viability at higher MMR, then you need to buff killers that are too weak at low MMR, regardless of their power at high MMR.
Otherwise you're balancing around a double standard, and that's bad for everyone.
Kinda funny since Nurse actually did get buff with the 3 blinks add ons. But yes by their logic she needs more buff
That's not necessarily the logic they use though. Don't forget Nurse got a fairly big nerf when they added a recharge mechanic to her blinks.
Nurse's kill rate is hugely misleading and using a completely unique killer in a kill rate argument doesn't really work.
In Cenobite's case, his closest parallel is pre-nerf Freddy. Neither are/were too oppressive in chase, but you can win 90% of your games as a killer if you simply make them take forever. Survivors will make the mistakes necessary for the killer to win if the game takes long enough. Freddy could stack slowdown add ons on top of slowdown perks and had a 76% kill rate at one point. Cenobite can keep the chain hunt going at an absurd frequency between add ons and Franklin's/Hoarder. He's not even remotely weak.
I actually do kind of think these addon nerfs to pinhead were good. The problem is that he seems to be punishing solo survivors more than any other killer. Surely matchmaking is the biggest problem in this case, but that can‘t be fixed so fast. Both generally speaking and because bhvr doesn‘t seem to have any clue om how to create proper matchmaking for this game.
So they nerfed the addons that made him the most oppressive, his iri addon which was simply busted, and his box solving addons for example, which were probably particularly harsh on solo survivors, because of the lack of coordination and much more frequent chain hunts.
It‘s just a shame they didnt buff his chase at all, which at the moment is too inconsistent. But I hope they will in future, now that his strongest addons are nerfed.
They want to make it where the survivors escape more often. They are doing all this on purpose. They make more money off survivors.