You know you messed up when the most neutral content creator has to make a video about mmr

otz just made a video saying that almost everyone he knows hates MMR in the game and the killer qeues are soo fast that it makes him believe that people are actually quiting playing killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5KjhbxVZrs&t=322s

Comments

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2656510#Comment_2656510

    Which is 40 2k's. Woah super hard to get. I really don't care how you think MMR works since the data mine video exists. 2k is not breaking even.

    Your math doesn't quite check out...


    Yes I saw that data mine video. I've also read the explanation BHVR put out in response to it which was completely different, and makes a ton more sense. So I'm inclined to believe you're the ignorant, uninformed one here.

    It is not a case of win = +20, no matter what your streamers tell you.

  • Did OP watch the video? Otz openly says that he does not dislike MMR system. he says in the video that he is mostly used to it and his matches are fine.

    In comment section, most of posts do not necessary talk about disliking MMR system. instead complaints are that BVHR does more poor job of balancing killers, therefore killer have lack of fun in their games when playing weaker killers. as a result, the game is very survivor-sided. Hopefully they stop making negative changes towards killer as it discouraging killer players to play killer which otz describes as longer queue times.

  • Theyd have the numbers of killer dropping out, and id love to see them

  • Yeah, it's pretty bad.

  • I feel like I'm playing a different game than you all. My killer queues during the day takes ages, and survivor queues instant. At night, it's the opposite since a lot of people play with their friends at night. It's been this way even before I stopped playing in 2018. I don't think there's a killer shortage at all because if there were, I'd have instant killer queues no matter the time of day.

    Something tells me that the comments in that video and in this thread aren't very truthful.

  • The MMR isn´t the Problem. The balancing IS the problem. MMR just made it more visible.

    People don´t like the MMR, because now they constantly get matched with/against sweating players instead of occasionally. Because they can´t roflstomp noobs anymore, it´s suddenly an issue.

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2656405#Comment_2656405

    Wait, your MMR rises if you get a 1k? That's absurd. The devs have repeatedly stated they consider a 2k the median result they're hoping for. 1k is still underperforming, so why would your MMR go up for that? I've been under the impression all this time that a 2k kept your MMR static, 3k+ was upward movement, and 1k- was downward.

    Not always.

    How much mmr you gain or lose also depends on how big the difference between you and the survivor is.

    If the survivor you sacrifice is much higher mmr then you then you get more points

    So if you sacrifice a high mmr survivor who for example wants to make sure their their low mmr friends who they are swfibg with makes it out then the mmr you get from them could outweigh the ones you lose from the other 3 resulting in a small net positive.

    This is nowhere near the norm but not really uncommon either with people who swf with different mmr ratings

  • @Tsulan said:

    The MMR isn´t the Problem. The balancing IS the problem. MMR just made it more visible.

    People don´t like the MMR, because now they constantly get matched with/against sweating players instead of occasionally. Because they can´t roflstomp noobs anymore, it´s suddenly an issue.

    My games got less consistent, funnily enough.

    Playing as my most played killer (legion) I almost always get 3 games in a row of stomping survivors, followed by one sweaty game where I almost always get stomped. That cycle then repeats.

    I've since stopped playing but not because of MMR or boons, I just got burnt out.

  • @dallasmedicbag said:

    I feel like I'm playing a different game than you all. My killer queues during the day takes ages, and survivor queues instant. At night, it's the opposite since a lot of people play with their friends at night. It's been this way even before I stopped playing in 2018. I don't think there's a killer shortage at all because if there were, I'd have instant killer queues no matter the time of day.

    Something tells me that the comments in that video and in this thread aren't very truthful.

    time zones exist

  • @MyelinXCVIII said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2657201#Comment_2657201

    My games got less consistent, funnily enough.

    Playing as my most played killer (legion) I almost always get 3 games in a row of stomping survivors, followed by one sweaty game where I almost always get stomped. That cycle then repeats.

    I've since stopped playing but not because of MMR or boons, I just got burnt out.

    Many killer mains have this burn out feeling. They either derank on purpose, switched to survivor or completely stopped playing.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2656300#Comment_2656300

    I just want maps to be balanced so Im not miserable facing survivors I should be facing. When you don't kill anyone. You end up facing not great survivors and that's just as boring.

    I agree, it needs to start with maps being balanced.

    I hope you had a great day! See you soon my friend

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    The biggest issue is people talk about how it's only bad at high mmr. But since the MMR system is skewed so killers gain MMR fast, it means almost every killer playing more than a month will hit max MMR. Meanwhile survivor is much harder to get into top MMR. This results in killers playing against survivors way out of their league. It's basically just like ranks where killer was made easier to get to rank 1 with because rank 1 survivors were sick of going against the same handful of players.

    But yeah, it's not just a vet issue. You can be playing a month or less and be top MMR. It only takes 17 4k's and a 2k to go from bottom to max MMR. Or 80 1k's, which can be achieved by just facecamping the first survivor you down for 80 games. Yes, even guys who just face camp are at top MMR because you have to 0k to actually lose MMR. And few people are getting 0k's more than they get even a single kill. If you played a solid amount when MMR dropped, you were likely top MMR before the week even ended.

    It'll be used to nerf killers again because they're "over performing"

  • @dallasmedicbag said:

    I feel like I'm playing a different game than you all. My killer queues during the day takes ages, and survivor queues instant. At night, it's the opposite since a lot of people play with their friends at night. It's been this way even before I stopped playing in 2018. I don't think there's a killer shortage at all because if there were, I'd have instant killer queues no matter the time of day.

    Something tells me that the comments in that video and in this thread aren't very truthful.

    If you extrapolate from this, then most people play in the evening.

    Those playing during the day are playing without friends, so more likely to play killer. As a majority of day-players friends are not online, then the majority of players aren't on during the day.

    So the evening queues are more representative of the playerbase at large.

  • @Farshad7913 said:

    otz just made a video saying that almost everyone he knows hates MMR in the game and the killer qeues are soo fast that it makes him believe that people are actually quiting playing killer.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5KjhbxVZrs&t=322s

    I actually made a thread about this.

    Yes, high MMR is going to be sweaty now - because you aren't constantly getting matched against people far less experienced than you are.

    Those '50 streak with a meme build' videos are fun and all, but come at the expense of a lot of less skilled players getting stomped into the dirt.

  • @Leatherface1990 said:

    I quit, but I'm only 1 person.

    you're not alone, i quit too.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/296213/you-know-you-messed-up-when-the-most-neutral-content-creator-has-to-make-a-video-about-mmr

    I actually made a thread about this.

    Yes, high MMR is going to be sweaty now - because you aren't constantly getting matched against people far less experienced than you are.

    Those '50 streak with a meme build' videos are fun and all, but come at the expense of a lot of less skilled players getting stomped into the dirt.

    and those 50 streaks were made against bad survivors who play at nights

  • So pretty much only have survivor challenges left so decided to play survivor for a bit.

    Instantly noticed something. pretty much instant queues. I litterally didn't have the time to press alt-tab before i was in a lobby.

    Played a killer game after that: 2 minute queue

    So yeah the reasons for hating mmr are still valid but that killers are leaving the game on mass and thats what have been affecting the queue's seems to be pretty false to me.

    Most likely a matchmaking bug rather then a shortage of players

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    The biggest issue is people talk about how it's only bad at high mmr. But since the MMR system is skewed so killers gain MMR fast, it means almost every killer playing more than a month will hit max MMR. Meanwhile survivor is much harder to get into top MMR. This results in killers playing against survivors way out of their league. It's basically just like ranks where killer was made easier to get to rank 1 with because rank 1 survivors were sick of going against the same handful of players.

    But yeah, it's not just a vet issue. You can be playing a month or less and be top MMR. It only takes 17 4k's and a 2k to go from bottom to max MMR. Or 80 1k's, which can be achieved by just facecamping the first survivor you down for 80 games. Yes, even guys who just face camp are at top MMR because you have to 0k to actually lose MMR. And few people are getting 0k's more than they get even a single kill. If you played a solid amount when MMR dropped, you were likely top MMR before the week even ended.

    as far as i know MMR doesn't work like that. It's basically four times 1v1, if this survivor escapes you lose on your rating, if you kill them they lose on their rating. How much they lose depends on the time when they get killed. Hatch is a tie.

  • @SunsetSherbet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2656389#Comment_2656389

    The point is if you are averaging even a 1k and play long enough you reach top MMR. If you even get a 1k your MMR goes up. Leaks on how MMR works from data miners show top MMR is 1900 and you start at 1200. You can gain a max of 40 per match and any match you even get a 1k in raises your MMR. If you aren't top MMR you either barely play or somehow average 0k's more so than any kills, which is the only way you're going to be losing MMR and not constantly gaining. Knowing max MMR is 1900, you start at 1200, and a 4k nets you 40 points means It takes

    17 4k's

    or 80 1k's

    or 38ish 2k's to reach top MMR. It's not very hard to do that at all, especially in the 3 months MMR has been out.

    See my other post, i'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that (watch Otz video about how MMR system works). Wouldn't make any sense to get to high MMR if you constantly only get 1 kill.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    So pretty much only have survivor challenges left so decided to play survivor for a bit.

    Instantly noticed something. pretty much instant queues. I litterally didn't have the time to press alt-tab before i was in a lobby.

    Played a killer game after that: 2 minute queue

    So yeah the reasons for hating mmr are still valid but that killers are leaving the game on mass and thats what have been affecting the queue's seems to be pretty false to me.

    Most likely a matchmaking bug rather then a shortage of players

    That's...odd.

    My experiences are exactly the opposite. Insanely long survivor queues (can easily get up to 10+ minutes on offpeak, around 2-5 minutes at peak) and very fast killer queues (60-90 seconds topside on offpeak, instant at peak).

    @solidhex said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2656405#Comment_2656405

    See my other post, i'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that (watch Otz video about how MMR system works). Wouldn't make any sense to get to high MMR if you constantly only get 1 kill.

    Yeah, I keep seeing this asserted but people vanish the second I ask for a source.

    There was a (forbidden word) situation a bit back where someone posted a bunch of alleged 'info' on the MMR system, but a lot of it turned out to be marsh gas and so I think they were full of it.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2659410#Comment_2659410

    That's...odd.

    My experiences are exactly the opposite. Insanely long survivor queues (can easily get up to 10+ minutes on offpeak, around 2-5 minutes at peak) and very fast killer queues (60-90 seconds topside on offpeak, instant at peak).

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2659432#Comment_2659432

    Yeah, I keep seeing this asserted but people vanish the second I ask for a source.

    There was a (forbidden word) situation a bit back where someone posted a bunch of alleged 'info' on the MMR system, but a lot of it turned out to be marsh gas and so I think they were full of it.

    Yeah it was the same with me for like a week or something. Insanely long survivor queues, instant killer

    It just changed today.

    Which makes me think it was a bug. Not the first time matchmaking bugs happen

  • @MrDardon said:

    Dbd was fun while it was casual.

    If you are good, you get high MMR, which means you go against top players.. which means games are gonna be unfun because the devs balance around casuals.

    So don't get good I guess.

    the fact that you can sum up why MMR was a stupid idea with 3 sentences would be funny if it wasn't sad

  • @DragonMasterDarren said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2656654#Comment_2656654

    the fact that you can sum up why MMR was a stupid idea with 3 sentences would be funny if it wasn't sad

    I think that this is a really 'glass half empty' way of looking at it.

    I see it as:

    This game is more fun when killers are mostly playing against survivors close to their own skill levels.

    Ranks essentially made the game more enjoyable for people at high MMR at the expense of everyone else. When you do a 100 game win streak, that's pretty awesome for you - not so awesome for the lowbies you've been steamrolling.

    @Sonzaishinai said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2659437#Comment_2659437

    Yeah it was the same with me for like a week or something. Insanely long survivor queues, instant killer

    It just changed today.

    Which makes me think it was a bug. Not the first time matchmaking bugs happen

    Mm. I'll give it a try when I get back in this evening before our Dungeons and Dragons game starts.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2659410#Comment_2659410

    That's...odd.

    My experiences are exactly the opposite. Insanely long survivor queues (can easily get up to 10+ minutes on offpeak, around 2-5 minutes at peak) and very fast killer queues (60-90 seconds topside on offpeak, instant at peak).

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2659432#Comment_2659432

    Yeah, I keep seeing this asserted but people vanish the second I ask for a source.

    There was a (forbidden word) situation a bit back where someone posted a bunch of alleged 'info' on the MMR system, but a lot of it turned out to be marsh gas and so I think they were full of it.

    yeah but the Dev's admitted how it works by themselves, there is footage from some stream online (i think you can also see it in Otz' video), so basically its 4x 1v1 and kill/escape decides whether you lose or gain MMR points

  • @solidhex said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2659437#Comment_2659437

    yeah but the Dev's admitted how it works by themselves, there is footage from some stream online (i think you can also see it in Otz' video), so basically its 4x 1v1 and kill/escape decides whether you lose or gain MMR points

    Yes, that part the devs confirmed. I'm talking about...another source that I can't really discuss without risking a forum ban.

  • @MrDardon said:

    Dbd was fun while it was casual.

    If you are good, you get high MMR, which means you go against top players.. which means games are gonna be unfun because the devs balance around casuals.

    So don't get good I guess.

    I don't get this type of complaint. So what's the solution here? Match top players with new players so the top players smash the new ones? What you just described sounds like a balanced scheme for me. You rank up, you get matched with ranked up players. That is just... obvious in every type of online game? Of course the game has to be balanced around most of the player base. Balancing the game around the top 1% players would completely mess with most of the player base.

  • @kolosovski said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2656654#Comment_2656654

    I don't get this type of complaint. So what's the solution here? Match top players with new players so the top players smash the new ones? What you just described sounds like a balanced scheme for me. You rank up, you get matched with ranked up players. That is just... obvious in every type of online game? Of course the game has to be balanced around most of the player base. Balancing the game around the top 1% players would completely mess with most of the player base.

    That, unfortunately, really does seem to be what the veteran players are asking for, even if they don't realize it.

    I do think that more attention needs to be paid to balance at the high end of things - as high MMR is where these imbalances really start to become a problem - but just unleashing the top MMR on everyone else again is just...bad for the game.

    High MMR in every game is sweaty and limited. But there has to be a better solution than making the game just worse for everyone else.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2659457#Comment_2659457

    I think that this is a really 'glass half empty' way of looking at it.

    I see it as:

    This game is more fun when killers are mostly playing against survivors close to their own skill levels.

    Ranks essentially made the game more enjoyable for people at high MMR at the expense of everyone else. When you do a 100 game win streak, that's pretty awesome for you - not so awesome for the lowbies you've been steamrolling.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2659444#Comment_2659444

    Mm. I'll give it a try when I get back in this evening before our Dungeons and Dragons game starts.

    Vote up for being a fellow dnd enjoyer.

    Let me know. Kinda curious if it's really like i think it is or if i'm just in a lucky region

    Edit: Derp, ofcourse Blood Hunt. That would also explain better queues

  • @kolosovski said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2656654#Comment_2656654

    I don't get this type of complaint. So what's the solution here? Match top players with new players so the top players smash the new ones? What you just described sounds like a balanced scheme for me. You rank up, you get matched with ranked up players. That is just... obvious in every type of online game? Of course the game has to be balanced around most of the player base. Balancing the game around the top 1% players would completely mess with most of the player base.

    Either we get some of the randomness back which makes it more casual and less sweaty (you get paired with players who are a bit weaker, then some who are a bit better and so on).

    Or they have to change a lot of the mechanics in the game. My suggestion (but will never happen): Make BT and DS basekit and then balance around it. Having to play dirty and kill someone early in the match is just not fun for anyone. There are too many save pallets and strong loops, instead of fixing this they bring us new killers who just play around those (typical bandaid fix).

  • @Massquwatt said:

    I don't know why they didn't just use the pip system as a baseline for MMR.

    1 pip gets you 15 MMR, 2 pips get you 30 MMR, -1 pips loses 15 MMR and 0 pips is 0 MMR.

    At least that way MMR is somewhat based on the personal skill of each player and not just totally random conditions like escaping and getting 1k's.

    to punish campers and bladettes

1 2 ›