A Few Things I Have Learned Playing Only Killer

First, I want to preference this by stating I am by no means a veteran player. I am not even a great killer. I am an OK-ish Killer, imagine the equivalent of really good Killers ordering their killer skills from a specialty vendor, and I am in a rush, do not want to pay that much, so I ordered mine from WISH. I am not exactly a candidate to become a Fog Whisperer, and I will most likely never reach the red rank.

But I am genuinely alright with being an OK-ish killer. Sometimes, my games go really good, and at other times, I get skunked. I am still learning and that is genuinely part of the fun. I have been playing roughly since late June, around the time the Resident Evil stuff launched, and very early on I decided if I view this game as Win or Lose, it is going to suck real hard and long.

1) There is a noticeable population of Survivor players who will DC if they can't spend the entire match dunking on you and BMing all willy-nilly. They will consistently teabag, repeatedly locker stun, and flashlight you, but god forbid you down them once, and join in by nodding because now you are a "toxic killer".

2) I don't need an encyclopedia like knowledge of survivor perks to get hooks or have fun. How much do I know about survivor perks? It can be summed up this way "Um, there is the back stabby that keeps me from picking them up. Heheh that perks makes them go forward fast and makes me miss. There is magic that lets them take one hit free. Some let them see auras. And now there is a perk that makes illegal, survivor, knock-off totems." That is it. I still enjoy running into a perk I know little about or never seen before.

3) Sometimes, I go for a 4k. Sometimes, I aim to only hook everyone twice, then ease up, and let them escape even if they are downed again. Sometimes, I get very little choice, and the games are insane, fun, and frantic, and I get out played (but if the survivors are good, I still learn something).

4) I cannot tell anyone else how to play to have fun. And I wouldn't. But for me? Concerning myself only with kills is boring. I like experimenting or setting goals for myself. Like, I keep trying to make a stealthy huntress build (pipedream and Insidious has had interesting results), or I will play rounds where I cannot hook anyone unless I down Survivors with hatches, or Trickster's knives, or if someone gives me a gift as a killer (leave an item) I will let them pass or run away-- unless they try to pick it up again.

5) BMing is sort of a boon. I can't tell you how many Survivors I have killed because they kept slowing down, even for a second, to teabag or show off. Or all the kills I have gotten near a gate, that would not have happened, if they had just left. One of my new favorite games is bringing lightborn, but pretending I am avoiding the flashlights, then when everyone is confident in those beams of doom, that is when I reveal they don't work. Even Clickers are fascinating. I experimented in how to deal with them, and so far, what works for me is ignoring them completely. Treat them as if they don't exist in the game. Even run right pass them when you are in striking range. But remember, this is only temporary, and you are waiting until they are so certain you will ignore them for the remainder of the round, that when you suddenly switch focus to them, they are caught off guard.

6) On occasions some games will just go in the Survivors favor. They are really good players. I may make mistakes that cost me the match. Maybe a combination of both. Either way, its cool. There are other rounds to jump into. Bugs, glitches, hacking, and other things already hampering the experience from time to time. Taking this game too serious kills the joy-- at least it does for me.

7) Boon totems does give the Survivors a pretty big advantage-- but if they heal more, this also means I can hit them more-- so it sort of evens out in my point of view.

8) In the end, I enjoy being a friendly killer for the most part. Its just a game. At the end game, if someone Kobe's then props. I frequently let them go. Occasionally, I run into rude or toxic survivors, and I shrug. I am not going to be an jerk to everyone because of those few. I still do not have a favorite killer. Experimenting with perks, trying to invent new mind games, and occasionally meeting really cool or funny players, that is where the most fun comes from. As long as we can all get some blood points or finish a daily objective, then it was a good match.

Again, I cannot tell you how to have fun. These are just little things that have helped me. I know my few months is not the same as years or thousands of hours experience, and I respect people who feel burned out, need changes, or want a break.

Comments

  • @Mwasi said:

    First, I want to preference this by stating I am by no means a veteran player. I am not even a great killer. I am an OK-ish Killer, imagine the equivalent of really good Killers ordering their killer skills from a specialty vendor, and I am in a rush, do not want to pay that much, so I ordered mine from WISH. I am not exactly a candidate to become a Fog Whisperer, and I will most likely never reach the red rank.

    But I am genuinely alright with being an OK-ish killer. Sometimes, my games go really good, and at other times, I get skunked. I am still learning and that is genuinely part of the fun. I have been playing roughly since late June, around the time the Resident Evil stuff launched, and very early on I decided if I view this game as Win or Lose, it is going to suck real hard and long.

    1) There is a noticeable population of Survivor players who will DC if they can't spend the entire match dunking on you and BMing all willy-nilly. They will consistently teabag, repeatedly locker stun, and flashlight you, but god forbid you down them once, and join in by nodding because now you are a "toxic killer".

    2) I don't need an encyclopedia like knowledge of survivor perks to get hooks or have fun. How much do I know about survivor perks? It can be summed up this way "Um, there is the back stabby that keeps me from picking them up. Heheh that perks makes them go forward fast and makes me miss. There is magic that lets them take one hit free. Some let them see auras. And now there is a perk that makes illegal, survivor, knock-off totems." That is it. I still enjoy running into a perk I know little about or never seen before.

    3) Sometimes, I go for a 4k. Sometimes, I aim to only hook everyone twice, then ease up, and let them escape even if they are downed again. Sometimes, I get very little choice, and the games are insane, fun, and frantic, and I get out played (but if the survivors are good, I still learn something).

    4) I cannot tell anyone else how to play to have fun. And I wouldn't. But for me? Concerning myself only with kills is boring. I like experimenting or setting goals for myself. Like, I keep trying to make a stealthy huntress build (pipedream and Insidious has had interesting results), or I will play rounds where I cannot hook anyone unless I down Survivors with hatches, or Trickster's knives, or if someone gives me a gift as a killer (leave an item) I will let them pass or run away-- unless they try to pick it up again.

    5) BMing is sort of a boon. I can't tell you how many Survivors I have killed because they kept slowing down, even for a second, to teabag or show off. Or all the kills I have gotten near a gate, that would not have happened, if they had just left. One of my new favorite games is bringing lightborn, but pretending I am avoiding the flashlights, then when everyone is confident in those beams of doom, that is when I reveal they don't work. Even Clickers are fascinating. I experimented in how to deal with them, and so far, what works for me is ignoring them completely. Treat them as if they don't exist in the game. Even run right pass them when you are in striking range. But remember, this is only temporary, and you are waiting until they are so certain you will ignore them for the remainder of the round, that when you suddenly switch focus to them, they are caught off guard.

    6) On occasions some games will just go in the Survivors favor. They are really good players. I may make mistakes that cost me the match. Maybe a combination of both. Either way, its cool. There are other rounds to jump into. Bugs, glitches, hacking, and other things already hampering the experience from time to time. Taking this game too serious kills the joy-- at least it does for me.

    7) Boon totems does give the Survivors a pretty big advantage-- but if they heal more, this also means I can hit them more-- so it sort of evens out in my point of view.

    8) In the end, I enjoy being a friendly killer for the most part. Its just a game. At the end game, if someone Kobe's then props. I frequently let them go. Occasionally, I run into rude or toxic survivors, and I shrug. I am not going to be an jerk to everyone because of those few. I still do not have a favorite killer. Experimenting with perks, trying to invent new mind games, and occasionally meeting really cool or funny players, that is where the most fun comes from. As long as we can all get some blood points or finish a daily objective, then it was a good match.

    Again, I cannot tell you how to have fun. These are just little things that have helped me. I know my few months is not the same as years or thousands of hours experience, and I respect people who feel burned out, need changes, or want a break.

    Forgot #9. Get used to seeing most survivors run the same perks. Borrowed Time. Dead Hard and Decisive Strike. There is no diversity in this game.

  • I played a game today where I was conveniently at the hook when someone was being unhooked. I was trickster, doing archive, perfect chance to riddle some survivors with knives.

    Yun-Jin goes clicky clicky, look at me. Maybe to distract me from the unhooking, maybe because she wants attention.

    So I give her attention. And I camp her to second hook and then down her immediately after and she DC's as I pick her up to whisk her away to the Entity's siren's call.

    I end up 4king them, but the game takes a while. She is still in post-game chat, talking trash. I love trash talking, it gets my giblets ROCK HARD. I engage. At the very end I point out the weirdness that was her staying in post game to talk trash after disconnecting intentionally. She responds, and I ######### you not, "I'm queued up with a friend."

    She clicky clicky'd and got the attention she so desperately craved, and then abandoned her friend, in the wise words of another game, Triumphant pride precipitates a dizzying fall.

    I don't know felt like a good thread to share this story. Thanks, I upvoted you.

  • Think about it this way, if they teabag, it is because they think it offends someone. Now why would they believe that? You guessed it. Because it offends them. So yes, nod back at them and watch as their world collapses. Very easy troll technique.