How to Bring New Players to the Game

There seem to be plenty of threads on why players are leaving the game, but how about some on how to get some to join? I play because my best friend talked me into it. I hated it at first. I don't like stealth games. I like shooters. But this game really drew me in. And then, as a horror movie buff, oh god the killers! And survivors! Laurie! Ash! It was heaven. I eventually talked my other friend into finally hooking back up his Xbox console and getting the game again from constant never shutting up about how great the game is-ness. And now, I'm trying to get my cousins to play. They say they will, on one condition (*TW*): if a FNAF crossover happens.

What else do you think we can do to bring more people into the game?

Comments

  • @Pizzasauce said:

    There seem to be plenty of threads on why players are leaving the game, but how about some on how to get some to join? I play because my best friend talked me into it. I hated it at first. I don't like stealth games. I like shooters. But this game really drew me in. And then, as a horror movie buff, oh god the killers! And survivors! Laurie! Ash! It was heaven. I eventually talked my other friend into finally hooking back up his Xbox console and getting the game again from constant never shutting up about how great the game is-ness. And now, I'm trying to get my cousins to play. They say they will, on one condition (*TW*): if a FNAF crossover happens.

    What else do you think we can do to bring more people into the game?

    10,000 free bloodpoonts.

  • @Pizzasauce said:

    There seem to be plenty of threads on why players are leaving the game, but how about some on how to get some to join? I play because my best friend talked me into it. I hated it at first. I don't like stealth games. I like shooters. But this game really drew me in. And then, as a horror movie buff, oh god the killers! And survivors! Laurie! Ash! It was heaven. I eventually talked my other friend into finally hooking back up his Xbox console and getting the game again from constant never shutting up about how great the game is-ness. And now, I'm trying to get my cousins to play. They say they will, on one condition (*TW*): if a FNAF crossover happens.

    What else do you think we can do to bring more people into the game?

    Trying to get the missus to try the game, but it's actually sort of a hard-sell.

    I'd do the following if I was in charge:

    • Make BBQ and WGLF BP gains baseline on all killers and survivors. Even with these, the grind can be ridiculous at times.
    • Take more steps to combat in-game toxicity.
    • Rework annoying/one sided maps on both ends.
    • More advertising.
    • A more robust set of tools for solo survivors to communicate.
    • Some sort of training mode/bot-match, especially for killers. This role takes a long time to get to grips with.
  • Qi_Jb5.gif

    1 million Bloodpoints!

    9000 shards

  • All of my friends quit playing because survivor gameplay was way too boring. Bringing new players in is important, but keeping them for more than 4 weeks is more important. And that means reworking some fundamental assumptions about DbD

  • Lessen the grind. Add a new mode that's fun for casual players that doesn't include slugging, hooking, or gens. Right now there's so much uninteractive gameplay within DbD that players spend a lot of time idling, and that's not fun. Woo, holding a button on a generator, or watching your teammates play while you dangle from a hook. And when people play killer, they want to be able to use their power and get rewarded for it. The game as it is feels like it punishes for everything and rewards for very little. The game is designed so players need perks and earning BP to unlock those perks is like pulling teeth. Of course new players don't stick around.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Do more video game cross-overs for sure, and do actual cross over events and not just a charm (R.I.P for honor event)

    I also think there needs to be more advertising on this game. I thought this game was dead until mid this year when an overwatch buddy was streaming this game. I only ever saw gameplay of the game in 2016, thought it looked cool, nothing more, heard about NOES, Leatherface and Saw and nothing else after that.

    The For Honor charm pissed me off a bit since For Honor added an entire Trapper plus hooks into theirs.

  • At least on Steam Charts it looks like the game is doing fine, it’s at 52k average concurrent players over the last 30 days which is the second highest that average has been since the peak of 62k in July.

    A09BA789-8A09-4B35-94EE-3209F9A2A797.png


  • I think creating more randomness and less predictability in terms of map layout, additions map traps, little boosters (like the pumpkin items during Halloween - I really liked that touch), nerfing some of the more powerful perks on both sides and more focus on fairness would work.

    Also, player attitudes: I feel less attention needs to be directed to toxic attitudes post-game, and a bit more sportsmanship in-game.