Base kit buffs
For the health of the game and play experience, what perks do you think should just become base kit? Numbers can be tweaked, of course, but I think it's ok to make everyone stronger to address some gameplay concerns.
Surv: BT, Unbreakable, DS.
Slugging, tunneling and camping are so unpleasant that these perks are run almost all the time just to get a chance to play the game.
Since they improve the quality of the experience so much and encourage better play, just make them base kit already.
Killer: Ruin, Pop.
Similarly, genspeed can be so oppressive that killers are often running multiple gen regression/stalling perks just to buy some time. I wouldn't expect them to be as powerful as they are now.
I do think kicking a gen needs to apply some percentage of reduction to justify the time spent, and regression after kick should be faster. Also, survs should have to take time to stop the regression, no more instant tap.
At base I do think gens and exit gates should be regressing when not actively being fixed, either at current normal regression speed or slightly less, but less fast than a kicked gen. This would of course mean that a killer could kick a gen that was in passive regression.
What abilities do you think should be made universal to improve both the flow of the game and the variety of perk options?
Comments
I could definitely see this helping, though I think other solutions might be better. Especially with gen rushing, I think a second objective would be better, because it would be more interesting and engaging for survivors.
I think finding solutions for camping, tunneling and slugging is harder, so just adding BT, DS and Unbreakeable to the survivors base kit would probably be good. But maybe BHVR can come up with good, alternative ideas as well. Though perhaps they wouldn't need to, because nerfing camping, tunneling and slugging in different ways would probably make perks like BT, DS and Unbreakeable obsolete.
I would also add Kindred to the perks that should become base kit, which would be a very good step to reducing the gap between swf and solo survivors, and an absolute necessity to make solo queue not too frustrating when killers have more time thanks to a second objective for survivors. Maybe even a nerfed version of Bond as well.
Kindred is certainly an option. I hesitated because info is king in DbD, imo. And the time survs spend being chaotic because they don't know what others are doing is a benefit to the killer.
However, as you said, this is a non issue for SWF groups, so maybe it would just even out the playing field. Though I'd feel bad not compensating killers in some way for that loss.
Oh, also, the BP bonus aspects of BBQ and WGLF should be base kit.
I think "a new second objective" for survivors should be an alternate means of egress: i.e. the Hatch. I think survivors ought to have to build something which spawns the hatch, or perhaps find key fragments - maybe 5-8 of them dependent on map size, with each fragment taking 40 seconds to build/find even if you locate the 'special location' for it.
My short list of basekit perks would be: Kindred, Borrowed Time, Corrupt, Pop. I think DS, Unbreakable, and Ruin are fine to leave as choices for the players, as each would adjust a playstyle.
An outlandish notion I have, if we were to consider "everyone gets DS" - it's coinmate, "everyone gets NOED." I think the most unfair thing about NOED is the unsure nature of the perk, similar to DS, so the survivor team either 'wasted time doing bones' or gets hit with surprise exposure just because they did their objective quickly. Surety in NOED's arrival means the survivor team will always spend the time doing bones, which is win/win for killers and will make the survivors feel accomplished.
On secondary objectives, I think that's a great idea. I actually love the box on Pinhead. I think it's a great mechanic that forces survs to attend to it. I'd love for all killers to get something in that vein.
On base NOED, I like the way you think! I was afraid to suggest that in fear of the pitchforks coming out. XD but you make an excellent point that it would make doing all bones or not an informed, gambled choice. And the game seems to want to encourage survs to do bones anyway, so yeah! It could work!
Time spent being chaotic is essentially a myth. You can clearly tell what is happening to your teammates by watching their icons. Most offensive powers show when they are affecting survivors, you can tell when obsession is being chased by the spider legs wiggling, you know when they get hit and get downed, get healed a health state, and when they're on the hook. People take for granted how much info that is already and discount the fact that people by in large if they aren't being chased or in TR just stay on gens. There is very little chaos in DBD unless they're day one new.
I don’t know about perks, but I think the add-on that lets Nurse see where she’s teleporting should be in her base kit. It’s an add-on that is specifically for new Nurse players to help them see where she’ll end up, but experienced Nurses don’t use it that often. So making it part of the base kit would make the character a bit more new player friendly without forcing them to spend an add-on for the visual aid without likely impacting how Nurse performs at higher level.
I'm sorry to say this but clearly you've never played solo queue with bond and kindred you'll get hooked once after looping the killer for 5 gens and your teamates will be jumping in and out of lockers in the corner of the map and walking slowly towards you while crouching and going back and forth lol
I even main killer but I will agree you see some wild ######### solo queue buddy I'm telling you play a few games
Most of my survivors games are solo queue and bond is in every one of my builds along with open handed. I just get more value out of reading the icons for useful information. I've learned in 5 years time to stop watching people directly and watch their icons as anything contextual important is easier to see there than with aura reading because I've learned not to be concerned if someone's jumping in the corner. If they aren't injured, wounded, being affected by a power, hooked, or slugged I'm not concerned about what they are doing.
If I seem them on a gen through bond I go to that gen to help close it out if I'm not already on a gen. Other than I assume they're either being chased or being useless which I can do nothing about. I don't run kindred often simply because when I did no one really attempted saves to begin with. They had the information and decided not to act on it even when it was completely possible to do so safely. At that point, having is feels the same as not having it and I got better value outta other perks.
What I've wanted to see:
Survivors can base-kit pick themselves up from the dying state (after some additional time) but are Broken for a duration if they're not helped by another Survivor
The Killer is incentivized to Hook different Survivors and leave hook by giving Survivors DS/BT base-kit, and Hooking different Survivors will disable this effect after a threshold, and will let you Kill a Survivor after a point.
Corrupt Intervention as base-kit to move Survivors around at the start instead of immediately starting M1 simulator (which is boring).
NOED becomes base-kit by having all remaining Dull Totems become Hexes once the final generator is completed. The Killer can snuff out these Hex Totems to Expose all Survivors for 60s.
Comparing this to your suggestions:
Totally agree with DS/BT/UB, however DS/BT need to be disabled after generators are repaired.
Ruin is far too passive to be base-kit. Pop would be cool, but without the Hook requirement and reduced effect.
I can see BT and DS, but unbreakable would destroy lot of killers. RIP Oni
Slugging is important and that would be only way to counter DS, it's stupid to give them both.
It's kinda funny, total of 8 extra perks vs 2...
BT and DS seems a little OP as basekit mechanics.
DS + unbreakable is even more broken. Like what can you do? :D
Yeah, no.
Some killers just have to use slugging to be viable. This would be super broken against Oni, or Twins...
"NOED becomes base-kit by having all remaining Dull Totems become Hexes once the final generator is completed. The Killer can snuff out these Hex Totems to Expose all Survivors for 60s."
That's super useless. You don't have time for this and not all killers benefits from exposed status.
I don't even wanna think about that.
Needing (excessive, 2+ min from one slug) slugging to be viable is a design issue
It's also only way to prevent DS...
Free recovery from dying state should never be a thing, at that point it's not really "daying" state.