Killer Metas

Alright everyone, this is my first attempt at a guide. the point isn't to be an end all be all. And it should, hopefully, fall obsolete as new chapters come out.

For those that do not know. META isn't a bad word, it simply stands for Most Effective Tactic Available. When you are using something META, you are using your best setups to force a trial to be played a certain way. This can come from a few things, like killer add-ons and perks. This guide will be focusing on perk builds, and will be focusing on high skill tiers of play (red threat level)

The different METAS:

Killers have a lot of good perks these days, if you have all of the DLC. If you don't have all of perks, I might be persuaded to do something like a "Basic Builds" guide for killers, where you only use their perks, pool perks, and maybe the perks from the 5 killers you start with. Anyways the META's:

Hex Ruin:
This gets it's own stand alone spot to be talked about. As many red threat killers use this like it's their meds. What I mean is, this perk is considered standard by many killer mains. And with recent tweaks to the totem spawns, high pressure killers can keep this on the board until mid game, forcing survivors to do 1-2 gens through the hex ruin before they can manage to cleanse it. Which has made this Perk a lot more viable, on the right killers. If you want to run this perk stand alone, it will work well on agressive, high pressure killers that can flush survivors away from the totem spawn point.
IE: Hillbilly, Nurse, Hag ,Spirit. Keep in minfd that once it's cleansed you will be one perk down for the rest of the trial. Get your perks worth.

Hex META:
This is the setup I see ran by people wanting to Use Ruin, but have problems keeping it on the board. The idea is to make all of the dull totems glow, so the survivors can't spot the one hex totem on the map like it's a sore thumb. This will keep survivors off the gens for the first few minutes of the match, usually. And can very much resault in a 4k. This setup is good for people that don't have a one-hit in their kit naturally, or while using addons for it. Sloppy Butcher is there to provide a slow to heals to help you secure kills if the game goes later then expected.

Perks: Hex: Ruin, Hex: Haunted Ground, Hex: Huntress' Lullaby, Sloppy Butcher.

Alternatives: Some people put in Hex: Thrill of the hunt to get the sound que when someone starts to cleanse a totem. This would go in the place of either Butcher, or Lullaby, typically. I personally put devour hope in the place of Lullaby. Cause MOAR 1 HITS!

Anti-Heal META:

This Meta, or the Hybrid I explain next, is the current hot topic. With the recent healing... Changes. Self Care will end up getting survivors killed, as they will never be able to get done before you track them down. Forcing them to group heal.

The standalone perk here is Sloppy Butcher. Sloppy butcher adds a 20% penalty to healing someone you hit with your basic strike (M1/ right trig) This means someone trying to self heal will suffer around a 70% penalty. In maths this takes a 24 second self heal to around 30 seconds.
Why is that good? To put it simply: How many times have you hunted a wounded survivor only to have them be healed and start scuttling off right as you come around the corner? Meh survivors might think they will get the heal off and keep going, expecting to use the speed burst from your hit for an escape, but nope, you'll get there first. Good survivors will GTFO cause they know, and now you got a wounded survivor to chase.

However it should be very much noted that most people don't just take Sloppy butcher. Most take Coulrophobia because the clowns face is beautiful. Also, cause it gives a 50% penalty to healing in your terror radius. Which means theres almost no chance they will heal before you hit them. Also, this lets you drop someone when 2 people are body blocking a hook. They are expecting you to smack one, while they have time to heal the guy at your feet. Not with the clowns smiling face on their screen they wont. The best thing about running the anti-heal setup, is that it lets you have a couple slots to add some quality of life perks. Like Anti-stealth, or Gen slowing.

Hybrid META aka Map Control:
This perk setup is best on Killers with a movement buff on their power, so they can reach gens in time to make use of one of the perks. The killers I see having the most success with this setup are: Billy, Spirit, Nurse, and Wraith. But I think the Wraith uses an add-on that gives him a terror Radius while cloaked.

Perks: Sloppy Butcher, Coulrophobia, Overcharge, Pop Goes the Weasel

This setup is for slowing the game down, and really find's it's home with 2 gens left. With the furthest Generators done, the Killer can patrol the closer ones. Overcharge let's him prevent people sneaking behind them to stop the gen's regressing, and pop goes the weasel lets the killer remove a large chunk of progress from the gen that was being repaired while they got that hook. And Possibly a chunk more if they fail a a not-to-easy even for high skill players skillcheck. Really good players will hit it a good chunk of the time, but it helps. If you can get the last 3 gens to be within an easy walk to eachother for the killer, you can guarantee a 3k with this setup most games, with the fourth hatching out if you cant stop them.

Anti-Stealth:

Not so much a META, in that you probably wouldn't take all of the aura reading perks at once. But the ones being run are BBQ and Chili, Bitter Murmur, and, rarely, Rancor (it's to easilly defeated by Jedi) With the Stand Alone being BBQ and Chili. Which lets you see where people are, outside a radius from the hooked survivor for a few seconds. Plus it gives Bloodpoints.

The last few perks are the META by playstyle. And tend to be Standalone. This means they get plugged into a META build as an alternative, or they use there own build, typically of standalone perks. (Perks that can perform very well by itself, like the ones listed throughout this guide!)

Hex: No One Escapes Death

Are survivors, surviving? Have they had a huge ego all game because they are able to play it like it's intended? Then Behavior has a Perk for you! This Hex turns on once the exit gates are powered, and lets you one hit survivors. And the BEST THING about it, they wont know it's active till you start downing them in one hit. Very effective if you expect the gates to be powered.

Make Your Choice:
This perk lets you pull lives off more survivors, and get them stuck in an altruism loop. Essentially, if you are a bit away from the hook when a survivor is unhooked, the altruistic survivor gets the exposed effect, letting you one hit them. letting you trade hooks quickly and effeciently.

Overcharge:
As Mentioned earlier. This perk great for keeping gens regressing. And if you can force them off the gen as they get the skillcheck, it's guaranteed they fail. The later into the game you go, the better this perk is, right up until it's useless. (when those gates are on)

And... Thgat's it for this one! If I forgot a META type, or overlooked a playstyle completely, please comment! otherwise, let me know what you think.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • Hmm I feel like you missed out on the general meta meaning people run It to find and start chases... I at least see this a lot on ps4 bbq, nurses calling, hex ruin (stall the game a little bit) and whatever they want to run for their 4th usually make your choice or noed 
  • Perk combos that you think go well together for certain purposes doesn't make them "meta". Meta would mean those perk combos are actually ran very commonly of which some of those you said are not. The premise of what you're trying to get across is fine, I just think you're misusing the word meta.

  • @Blueberry said:
    Perk combos that you think go well together for certain purposes doesn't make them "meta". Meta would mean those perk combos are actually ran very commonly of which some of those you said are not. The premise of what you're trying to get across is fine, I just think you're misusing the word meta.

    They aren't things I think personally work well. they are things I have seen in top ranked killer streams and videos. However, No matter who is using it, the most effective tactic is what it is. It literally does not matter how many people use it, it matters about maths and how it's chances are effectively used.

  • @SmokePotion said:

    @Blueberry said:
    Perk combos that you think go well together for certain purposes doesn't make them "meta". Meta would mean those perk combos are actually ran very commonly of which some of those you said are not. The premise of what you're trying to get across is fine, I just think you're misusing the word meta.

    They aren't things I think personally work well. they are things I have seen in top ranked killer streams and videos. However, No matter who is using it, the most effective tactic is what it is. It literally does not matter how many people use it, it matters about maths and how it's chances are effectively used.

    I don't think Lullaby or Coulraphobia would make any killers core list unless they literally had nothing else, both those perks are quite bad and situational. If it's just a matter of what you happen to see more often then I guess that's fair.

  • Blueberry said:

    @SmokePotion said:

    @Blueberry said:
    Perk combos that you think go well together for certain purposes doesn't make them "meta". Meta would mean those perk combos are actually ran very commonly of which some of those you said are not. The premise of what you're trying to get across is fine, I just think you're misusing the word meta.

    They aren't things I think personally work well. they are things I have seen in top ranked killer streams and videos. However, No matter who is using it, the most effective tactic is what it is. It literally does not matter how many people use it, it matters about maths and how it's chances are effectively used.

    I don't think Lullaby or Coulraphobia would make any killers core list unless they literally had nothing else, both those perks are quite bad and situational. If it's just a matter of what you happen to see more often then I guess that's fair.

    Coulro on the doc I see. Yeh, good list though man. 
  • @Blueberry said:

    @SmokePotion said:

    @Blueberry said:
    Perk combos that you think go well together for certain purposes doesn't make them "meta". Meta would mean those perk combos are actually ran very commonly of which some of those you said are not. The premise of what you're trying to get across is fine, I just think you're misusing the word meta.

    They aren't things I think personally work well. they are things I have seen in top ranked killer streams and videos. However, No matter who is using it, the most effective tactic is what it is. It literally does not matter how many people use it, it matters about maths and how it's chances are effectively used.

    I don't think Lullaby or Coulraphobia would make any killers core list unless they literally had nothing else, both those perks are quite bad and situational. If it's just a matter of what you happen to see more often then I guess that's fair.

    Coulro gets more play then you would expect from what I've been seeing. But maybe I'm watching different games then ya'll.

  • I thought about doing terror radius build the doctor and trapper and clown perks dealing with your TR and distressing. It was more see how it goes will it work? I don't play to win... well I mean I don't care if I lose. So If I get destroyed a lot with that build. Meh don't care it was fun... (probably) 
  • That are not different "metas", just some builds.
    A perks is "meta" if it is used a lot, like most of the time.
    Devs used to give stats about most used perks, but they stopped doing it.
    So now we have to judge by our ingame experience, which is always subjective, because humans tend to remind the annoying stuff more than the other things.
    So everyone remembers being DSD, but only a few really know how often they face UE.
    Or for killer, everyone remembers being downed by Noed, but no one keeps track of the use of BS.

  • @Wolf74 said:
    That are not different "metas", just some builds.
    A perks is "meta" if it is used a lot, like most of the time.
    Devs used to give stats about most used perks, but they stopped doing it.
    So now we have to judge by our ingame experience, which is always subjective, because humans tend to remind the annoying stuff more than the other things.
    So everyone remembers being DSD, but only a few really know how often they face UE.
    Or for killer, everyone remembers being downed by Noed, but no one keeps track of the use of BS.

    For the last time. META doesn't mean "played by everyone" that's literally not what the word means. Also there was a lot more info there then "just some builds"

    And for the final last time: Most of that stuff is played a lot by high ranked and followed streamers soo... probably fits your definition as well. Anyways, this will be the last reply you get from me

    @SteveyHooves said:
    I thought about doing terror radius build the doctor and trapper and clown perks dealing with your TR and distressing. It was more see how it goes will it work? I don't play to win... well I mean I don't care if I lose. So If I get destroyed a lot with that build. Meh don't care it was fun... (probably) 

    TR builds on the Doctor work great. on the trapper... I honestly can't say. i don't use him on PS4 or PC, and I don't see him used unless the streamer is meming, so i can't give much insight.

  • @SmokePotion said:

    @Wolf74 said:
    That are not different "metas", just some builds.
    A perks is "meta" if it is used a lot, like most of the time.
    Devs used to give stats about most used perks, but they stopped doing it.
    So now we have to judge by our ingame experience, which is always subjective, because humans tend to remind the annoying stuff more than the other things.
    So everyone remembers being DSD, but only a few really know how often they face UE.
    Or for killer, everyone remembers being downed by Noed, but no one keeps track of the use of BS.

    For the last time. META doesn't mean "played by everyone" that's literally not what the word means. Also there was a lot more info there then "just some builds"

    And for the final last time: Most of that stuff is played a lot by high ranked and followed streamers soo... probably fits your definition as well. Anyways, this will be the last reply you get from me

    lol
    So you make up your own definition of something and if someone disagree you insist on it and don't want to talk to the person anymore? Nice.^^

    Feel free to show your niche builds and call it whatever you want, but you have to deal with it, that your definition is not the one the majority of this community is using.
    XD

  • @Wolf74 said:

    @SmokePotion said:

    @Wolf74 said:
    That are not different "metas", just some builds.
    A perks is "meta" if it is used a lot, like most of the time.
    Devs used to give stats about most used perks, but they stopped doing it.
    So now we have to judge by our ingame experience, which is always subjective, because humans tend to remind the annoying stuff more than the other things.
    So everyone remembers being DSD, but only a few really know how often they face UE.
    Or for killer, everyone remembers being downed by Noed, but no one keeps track of the use of BS.

    For the last time. META doesn't mean "played by everyone" that's literally not what the word means. Also there was a lot more info there then "just some builds"

    And for the final last time: Most of that stuff is played a lot by high ranked and followed streamers soo... probably fits your definition as well. Anyways, this will be the last reply you get from me

    lol
    So you make up your own definition of something and if someone disagree you insist on it and don't want to talk to the person anymore? Nice.^^

    Feel free to show your niche builds and call it whatever you want, but you have to deal with it, that your definition is not the one the majority of this community is using.
    XD

    It's litterally the definition of the word. It's an acronym. Use google.

  • Using it as an acronym seems to be a pretty new trend.
    Actually it is just the term for the most used tactic, because of it's effectivness.
    So perks that are used every match are meta, because they are superior to the rest.
    Mostly because they aren't situational in use. They just work EVERY time.

    In most other online games there are meta strategies with certain combos to use that are hype for a while until a counter to that meta is found.
    Unfortunatly DBD is not that kind of game, because there is no real counterplay to certain strategies.

  • @SteveyHooves said:
    I thought about doing terror radius build the doctor and trapper and clown perks dealing with your TR and distressing. It was more see how it goes will it work? I don't play to win... well I mean I don't care if I lose. So If I get destroyed a lot with that build. Meh don't care it was fun... (probably) 

    TR builds on the Doctor work great. on the trapper... I honestly can't say. i don't use him on PS4 or PC, and I don't see him used unless the streamer is meming, so i can't give much insight.

    As a lower rank player in not bound by the meta. I can take any build and make it work in my favor. 
  • IMO Stridor is absolutely necessary on Spirit. It makes it impossible to run from her phase walk if you don't have Iron Will, while also making it a bit easier to find healthy survivors immersed in a bush and stuff.

    Likewise, Whispers is necessary on Huntress because it's so easy to hide from her.

    MYC isn't required on Hag but she is by far the killer that fits that perk best.

    After that the "killer meta" is basically BBQ/Ruin, maybe also Nurse's, and that's about it.

  • @thesuicidefox said:
    IMO Stridor is absolutely necessary on Spirit. It makes it impossible to run from her phase walk if you don't have Iron Will, while also making it a bit easier to find healthy survivors immersed in a bush and stuff.

    Likewise, Whispers is necessary on Huntress because it's so easy to hide from her.

    MYC isn't required on Hag but she is by far the killer that fits that perk best.

    After that the "killer meta" is basically BBQ/Ruin, maybe also Nurse's, and that's about it.

    I did forget to mention Nurses. Damn.

    Stridor I see used by Space Coconut on the Spirit for the same reasons you mentioned, but I do well with her by using control builds, or a hex build (nothing scares a survivor more then being exposed against a spirit, except maybe being exposed against a nurse)

    As for anyone STILL trying to argue over the term META: I defined it at the start of the post. Go make your own post with your own definitions. It's not uncommon for someone presenitng something to define the terms they use, and i did, i defined it in the first paragraph. I will flag any further comments to that effect.

  • @SmokePotion said:

    As for anyone STILL trying to argue over the term META: I defined it at the start of the post. Go make your own post with your own definitions. It's not uncommon for someone presenitng something to define the terms they use, and i did, i defined it in the first paragraph. I will flag any further comments to that effect.

    So if you use a misleading definition that is not commonly used that way in this community you will just report anybody not agreeing with you to enforce your point of view and silence other?
    Wow... that's low.

  • "Meta" refers to metagame which means "the game within the game". It's the tactics and strategies the evolve from the game's mechanics and is based on optimal winning play.

    For example, in Gears of War 3's Clocktower, the meta is a 3-1 split to Boom. Basically you rush Boom because if you don't and relent to the other team, they win (because Boom is such a powerful weapon it can single-handedly influence the outcome of the round). It's the reason that competitive Gears 3 swapped Boom for Digger, because otherwise the map was extremely 1 dimensional and lame. After the swap, the meta became a 3-1 or 2-2 split to snipe with a flank through bottom. This is also important because if you didn't send AT LEAST 1 down then the other team gets nades and can flank you while you push up top, which is a loss. However there is a lot more variety in the way you can handle these splits, and in some cases making a rush to Digger was a good idea, though risky because of both how long it takes and open you are to being sniped if your team didn't win the top.

    In theory you can have different metas based on different styles, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the best way to play in that style IS the meta. It's just the meta for that style or particular tactic. Generally speaking, the meta of DBD revolves around time. Survivors want the game to go as fast as possible, killers want the game to go as slow as possible (to a point obv, when the killer has 3 dead he doesn't want the game to be slow for the last guy, and when the killer has something like Devour with 5 tokens the survivors want to slow down and take their time to minimize mistakes).

  • Flagged both posts. I told you that that's not the point of this thread, i will continue to flag all post trying to derail this post. you are trolling at this pint, and were warned.

    The definition of META wasn't what the post was about. The definition of the term, for this guide, was defined clearly at it's start.

  • Can we please stay on topic, regardless of what term has been used this post is not to judge the term "meta". Thank you.

  • @MandyTalk said:
    Can we please stay on topic, regardless of what term has been used this post is not to judge the term "meta". Thank you.

    Serious? So threatening people with false reports is ok?

  • The warning is public to keep everyone on topic in the post - or I will just close it, that goes for the argument over the term meta (as this is actually immaterial to the post itself) and to the comments regarding reporting people.

  • @MandyTalk said:
    The warning is public to keep everyone on topic in the post - or I will just close it, that goes for the argument over the term meta (as this is actually immaterial to the post itself) and to the comments regarding reporting people.

    Thank you Mandy.

  • This is hilarious.

    Someone threatening other forum user with false reports gets back up by a Mod??

  • @Wolf74 it should be clear to you and to @SmokePotion that this is a warning for all of you to keep on topic.