Discussion Time: Killer pre-game switching / MMR System talk & Opinions

I want to start this discussion because as a killer main this has been annoying me a lot recently.


In Dead By Daylight pre-game lobby current state: survivors van swap survivors and killers can't. Meaning survivors van adapt to what other survivors are using but killers can't.

A example. You're playing as a "The Deathslinger" you go in your lobby and you see 2 ppl in the lobby starting as let's just call them character X with both equiped toolboxes. their character X's have a genrush build.


Another player comes in with a flashlight as Character Y, with a looping build. But notices the 2 players with toolboxes. So changes to another character (Let's say character A) because that is a premade genrush build.


Imagine at this Point a 4th survivor coming in seeing the 3 toolboxes but not adapting to it. For whatever reason...


You clearly see they Will genrush. You want to change to something more comfortable with genrushing but you're stuck as your current killer.


Meaning: at this Point of time as a clown, spirit, shape, ghosty, trapper, blight, trickster, or whatever killers you feel you can't play with against genrushers. You cannot adapt by going nurse, demongorgon, Plague, huntress it whatever you feel more comfortable with against genrushers.


Therefore i wanted to start this debate: should killers be able to switch killer? Or should survivors not being able to swap survivors and i Think the answer is quite simple... Killers should be able to swap and here:s why:


If survivors can't swap, they simply 1: change their build to better genrush perks, 2: take add-ons that benifit a genrush team. 4 toolboxes or 3 toolboxes and 1 other item (because it's the person going to loop the killer)


At this Point killers would still not be able to swap, they still see 3 or 4 ppl with toolboxes and Will have to either camp, tunnel or play dirty to win this game if they picked a killer that can't resist genrushing or are not comfortable at all for playing against a premade lobby wich Ppl adapters to genrushing.


The killer should be able to swap, especially for low level or low rank killers. DbD matchmaking is already terrible. I played as a Bronze 4 against 3 red ranks and 1 gold - 4 man wiping cuz they're bad. The game after B4 getting genrushed by 4 Silver players. Even when low experience or not having all level 50 killers. Players could still swap to a killer with anti-genrushing perks. Or a better anti-genrushing power with lots of map pressure.


Survivors don't really need to change their survivor, cuz they share all items and all perks. Killers only share all perks. Therefore killers should be able to swap killers and survivors either should to or shouldn't.


HOW I THINK THIS MIGHT FIX MMR OR COULD FIX MMR:


I Think MMR should be calculated by the data of all survivors you played (what level and how good you are) if survivor main and all killer data, what level you are with them and how good you played with them) but with both roles taken into account how much you played a survivor/killer in the last 1-2 months of maybe 3-4 weeks.


That way ppl who are not often playing as a certain killer / survivor (although would have less effect on highly experienced survivor mains) would be having their MMR calculated by their most played killer in that period of time...

Another possible solutions: calculate MMR accord to the last 30 games they played as Survivor/Killer.


This should give killers who play 3/5 times as their main. 2/5 times another killer they like and maybe 1-2 out of those 30 games as a new killer. Those players won't get punished by trying new stuff out for little time. Cuz their mains will determine mostly how high their MMR should be



But what do you guys think? You think it's fair as a killer to not be able to swap? You think the MMR system is not working properly? You agree or disagree with anything I said? Let's talk about this to make the game more balanced for everyone!

Comments

  • While Survivors switching is annoying, it isnt going to change my ways of dealing with that alot.

    Also remember Games can end fast if someone plays poor.

  • The problem with killers switching when in lobby, as far as I understand, is that matchmaking takes into account your competence with a specific killer. Which means that if you were able to switch, you could queue up as a killer you've never played, get matched with newbie survivors, and then switch to a killer you've already mastered.

    Not sure if that's actually how the matchmaking works, but if it does, it'd explain why killers can't swap.

    Do think that Survivors should be locked into their builds 10 seconds earlier so killers can adapt to their final choice.

  • Survivor switching indeed has not really much of An effect since their power: "looping /sneaking" determine most of the gameplay.


    So i agree with you on that one.

    With killers however this is a big issue:

    Although some Powers are simular: "trickster, deathslinger, huntress" & "ghostie, the shape" some ppl can play as 1 but not as they simular powered brother. For me for instance although being a good trickster and deathslinger and Shape, if i see a full toolbox lobby when I am trying huntress or ghosty (wich I struggle with, a lot) I would want to change to a killer I main, and try learning ghosty, Huntress with lobby with survivor that have a more diverse variety of items (or less items)

  • I wouldn't care if the shared mmr wasnt so high, some killers iv never played verse high level players, first of all that killer cant handle that level let alone when I have 0 experience as them. I physically dont play that killer now due to this.

  • @Firellius said:

    The problem with killers switching when in lobby, as far as I understand, is that matchmaking takes into account your competence with a specific killer. Which means that if you were able to switch, you could queue up as a killer you've never played, get matched with newbie survivors, and then switch to a killer you've already mastered.

    Not sure if that's actually how the matchmaking works, but if it does, it'd explain why killers can't swap.

    Do think that Survivors should be locked into their builds 10 seconds earlier so killers can adapt to their final choice.

    I Think that's indeed how matchmaking currently works, for this reason I'd rather have them remove this MMR system and come up with a better one that's equally fair as a killer and at the same time for the 4 survivors


    But your totally right on that one.


    That's why I wrote how they could implement another used MMR system (used mainly in MOBA's) to allow killer swapping once more, but again it's up to the Dev's

  • @EntitySpawn said:

    I wouldn't care if the shared mmr wasnt so high, some killers iv never played verse high level players, first of all that killer cant handle that level let alone when I have 0 experience as them. I physically dont play that killer now due to this.

    That's why I proposed if they do shared mmr amongst all killers/survs to take only the latest X amount of games or months/weeks into account. Since if we would look at lifetime MMR then this would be indeed hell

  • @freak_115 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2538855#Comment_2538855

    That's why I proposed if they do shared mmr amongst all killers/survs to take only the latest X amount of games or months/weeks into account. Since if we would look at lifetime MMR then this would be indeed hell

    Well I dont think they should even share MMR, its honestly ridiculous how a killer iv never played will be matched against the high skill players I usually verse. How is say clown/nemesis meant to compete against survivors nurse struggles with.... just a bad system

  • Now I think switching killers was disabled not because of individual killer MMR, but rather to avoid situation when you see a good team in your lobby and can switch to your favorite killer that you're good with. So that good survivors could have more chill games and don't have to sweat all the time. Individual MMR in theory is good, but in practice it's not transparent, and from my experience I doubt it will help killer players in any way.

  • It's because the matchmaking depends on what Killer you chose to play. Honestly they should just lock what survivor you pick out, and make it so that you can level other characters in the bloodweb while waiting for the match instead of just the one you have selected.

  • @getuy45u4iu said:

    Now I think switching killers was disabled not because of individual killer MMR, but rather to avoid situation when you see a good team in your lobby and can switch to your favorite killer that you're good with. So that good survivors could have more chill games and don't have to sweat all the time. Individual MMR in theory is good, but in practice it's not transparent, and from my experience I doubt it will help killer players in any way.

    I kinda disagree with that, cuz if you would see a full toolbox team as for instance a Freddy main. I don't think you would pick the Freddy for that....


    Like again the only problem I have with not being able to switch killers is when you know you are going to get genrushed cuz they all got toolboxes ready. A legion main for instance or what main that can't handle genrushing would be F-ed instant and so many ppl genrush anyways that it wouldn't be Fun anymore.


    My go to killer for genrushing would be Plague of nurse (even though I barely played them nor leveled them properly)

  • @Firellius said:

    The problem with killers switching when in lobby, as far as I understand, is that matchmaking takes into account your competence with a specific killer. Which means that if you were able to switch, you could queue up as a killer you've never played, get matched with newbie survivors, and then switch to a killer you've already mastered.

    Not sure if that's actually how the matchmaking works, but if it does, it'd explain why killers can't swap.

    Do think that Survivors should be locked into their builds 10 seconds earlier so killers can adapt to their final choice.

    It doesn't work like that. Already tested.

    There's almost zero variance between a Killer you main and a Killer you've never touched.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2538843#Comment_2538843

    It doesn't work like that. Already tested.

    There's almost zero variance between a Killer you main and a Killer you've never touched.

    Although I think their should be... In a certain degree....


    On the one hand, if swapping would be enabled then you shouldn't be able to que as an untouched killer to just switch to your main.


    But on the other hand, killers that after 3 months of playing 3 killers only. Want to try a killer they never played before should kinda get their killer MMR lowered a bit... If it's shared killer MMR but no swapping. Since Even though you are a gold rank killer. Playing with a nurse for the first time or idk maybe you didn't try Twins yet should. Not give you a red rank or a golden rank. BUT because of your overall killer experience shouldn't give you Ash ranks or low Bronze ranks....