VPN usage
I tend to play later at night so I know this is going to be an issue, but as of late there seem to be a vast number of killers using vpns to connect to servers from China, the games are normally unplayable and I was just wondering if there has been any talk of preventing this or if it's a matter of suicide to move on every time somebody connects from across the world.
Comments
It will never happen. We've been complaining about this for years and they just won't do it.
Are you absolutely sure, that the killers are using VPNs?
Because sometimes, the matchmaking matches me with people from a different continent. Where some people have a ping of 200+. I doubt they do that intentionally.
There’s no real way to prove VPN use for any individual, but there are people who admit to using a VPN to connect to different servers “for shorter queues” (whether that’s the real reason or not, who knows).
I’ve been connected to far away servers in the past where I had a ping of nearly 200 when I usually get <30, so I agree it does happen. It’s not super common though and you can just dodge that lobby when you notice your ping.
Yes, it rarely happens. But people always instantly jump to the VPN conclusion. Thats why i asked.
The weirdest match i had, was against survivors from: USA, Russia, Thailand and Japan. All in the same lobby. While i sit in Europe.
I think people jump to that conclusion because VPNs are a very easy to use, easily accessible way of hopping servers and plenty of people admit to using them. It’s probably more likely that people are using VPNs than that multiple people keep getting connected to the wrong server by accident - and they just so happen to be almost all killer players on PC. If it was coincidental, you’d expect OP would keep seeing Chinese survivors or console killers as well.
Russian players are always connected to EU because there are no Russian servers, unfortunately. :( But yeah, the rest of those are very weird! I think the furthest server I ever connected to was Mumbai, and I was playing survivor so that was a painful match, lol.
That might be exactly what happened: by using VPN those people from other continents get IP local to you, so the system matches them with you based on their seeming region, ignoring the ping.
Can you use vpns without ending up with ridiculously high pings? I'd consider it for when I'm playing at unsociable hours at the night but not if it's just going to be a miserable experience for the other players
But why?
Worse than VPN'ing is doing it on WI-FI. Wi-Fi is already bad adding VPN's to the mix only makes it worse.
I get that you can't 100% prove vpn usage, and this is probably going to be something to just live with, I'm somewhat curious why they never reimplemented a ping check for killer, even back in the days of spamming 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 in chat to test that was something to go by to tell if the game was going to be playable.
At the end of the day, it sucks to lose items to get out of a horrible match but I can deal with it or just play killer.
Apparently the DBD matchmaking system not only doesn’t care about matching people with similar ranks together, it also doesn’t give a ######### if they’re on the same goddamn landmass