Survivor Sportsmanship

Why do survivors not have any sportsmanship at all?

Recently I posted a discussion

@BenihimeWrath said:

From the recent debate with SpooknJukes and his step brother, who described 3 states of killer play. Playing nice, fair, or like a dick.

What do you as survivor do to play 'nice' with a killer that you recognize may be having a bad game/is new to the killer they are playing/is new in general, if anything?

And if you don't do anything, why should a killer worry about your fun/do you care if a killer plays 'nice' or not?

Genuine questions, not meant to start a flame war or anything.

Asking the question what survivors do for killer fun, and most of the replies I received in it were what I would consider to be 'fair' ways to play with a killer, and not necessarily for a killer's fun. (Read OP for context)

The few that were posted that I agreed with include

  • Farm if the killer wants to
  • Allow themselves to be downed/hooked/killed for the few points its worth (people said different variations of these)
  • Help them with a challenge
  • Give tips (Presumably in post game chat)


Lately I've been playing games in an attempt to play in such a way as for the survivors enjoyment. What this objectively entails is:

  • Only 1 hook on everyone, for BBQ stacks
  • Farming when survivors want to farm
  • Forgiving mistakes (e.g. routing into a dead end and letting them go to restart chase.)
  • Help them do challenges (e.g. allow myself to be stunned/blinded, allow a survivor to vault a bunch of times while in chase with me)

This type of play has only resulted in

  • Tbagging
  • Flashlight clicking
  • Noise explosions
  • Time wasting (e.g. waiting at gates until EGC is almost done/waiting just to leave in my face)

In all the games I played (62, over the course of this experiment) not one single survivor showed an ounce of good sportsmanship.

Never. Once.

So I put the question to the discussion board, is this sample size of 248 survivors too small for a conclusion, or do survivors bring killer toxicity on themselves, or cause other survivors to suffer from killer toxicity thereby perpetuating a cycle of toxicity?

Comments

  • personaly i help some killers with ther challegens of cors if they werent playing like an ahole sisce the begining of match

    if all players decied to farm i always give killers 2 hooks, and if i can see that i can troll with him then i will give the 3rd hook

    as for tips is the same thing as with challenges if you try to play normal and you play a killer i know how to play sure i will give you the best tips i can

    So yeah not all survivors are bad, sadly most of them try to do funny stuffs thehy have sin in fanny moments on yt

  • I hate to say it, but from the way you described your "sportsmanlike" gameplay, it just seems confusing to Survivors. I know that if I played against someone who was trying enough to hook someone for BBQ and walk away to find the next Survivor, but then "lost" me easily in a dead zone and easily got blinded/stunned repeatedly, I would think that the Killer was really bad and possibly new to the game.

    I've gotten tons of good feedback from my gameplay, even at rank 1 and even while playing Nurse, because I play fair and try my best, and am always positive after my games. But honestly, when a Killer just starts goofing off and being a doormat, I feel annoyed that the Killer isn't even trying and I just want to leave as soon as possible.

  • I'm not too sure where this post is trying to lead to, but honestly just play the game how you want to play, but don't expect the other side to feel the same way.

    Whenever I play killer, I play normally, but I don't go out of my way to make it miserable for the other side (facecamping, tunneling one person to death, using obnoxious builds). If you forgive survivor mistakes during chases, then you're only asking for a harder time because a survivor may think you're not good at the game which could lead to teabagging and such sorts.

    You mentioned only 1 hook per person for a match? Uh- I don't know what to say, but it's kind of the point of the role as a killer to hook people. I understand that you're just trying to make your matches more enjoyable, but with how this game works, that's a task that will just make you more frustrated, but I wish you the best of luck.

  • I've sometimes offered tips post game or just told them to keep trying as they got rinsed in the last game.

  • @Hippie said:

    I hate to say it, but from the way you described your "sportsmanlike" gameplay, it just seems confusing to Survivors. I know that if I played against someone who was trying enough to hook someone for BBQ and walk away to find the next Survivor, but then "lost" me easily in a dead zone and easily got blinded/stunned repeatedly, I would think that the Killer was really bad and possibly new to the game.

    I've gotten tons of good feedback from my gameplay, even at rank 1 and even while playing Nurse, because I play fair and try my best, and am always positive after my games. But honestly, when a Killer just starts goofing off and being a doormat, I feel annoyed that the Killer isn't even trying and I just want to leave as soon as possible.

    Unfortunately without the ability to communicate better it might have been confusing and thats what resulted in the toxicity from survivors, however lets assume for a moment they behaved that way because, like you, they assumed I was newer to the game. Is that really the side of the community older players should show newer players?

    Although I do want to make it very clear that I never made it appear like I 'lost' someone, I very clearly indicated with 'no' head shakes that they were outplayed before backing up to restart chase and very clearly indicated with 'yes' headshakes for stuns/flashlights when farming. Otherwise pallets/flashlights were played normally. I just didn't want to put in a wall of text explaining every possible nuance that I ran into.

  • its not the survivors job to make the kilelr game fun vice versa. farming is boring

  • Are you asking if 248 survivors are representative of a playerbase of over 100,000 people? Then no.

    Are you asking if survivors who show sportsmanship exist? Yes, they do, I've faced some personally.

    Are you asking why those particular survivors BMed you when you showed them mercy? There are a lot of possible reasons. Teabagging isn't always intended as BM, plenty of survivors teabag other survivors as a light-hearted form of communication so maybe the survivors didn't intend to offend you. Maybe they thought you were messing around and not playing seriously, so they also started messing around and goofing off, again not realising they were offending you. Maybe they thought you were really bad and therefore they were no longer scared of you and BMed you mercilessly because they suddenly felt they had power. Maybe they played against a BMing killer in their last match so they BMed you as some misguided form of revenge. Maybe they waited in the gate because they thought you might have NOED and wanted you to hit them out so their teammates would know if you had it or not. Maybe you're just surrounded by irredeemable douchebags who will BM anyone for any tiny reason.

    People ascribe negative intentions to other people in this game all the time, but I think a lot of it is just miscommunication since there's no way to signal your intentions in game. If a killer drops me on hatch and I teabag before I jump in, I may have intended it as a thank you curtsey and they may take it as being rude and ungrateful. I'd just try not to assume the worst of other people or get too hung up on in-game stuff like a flashlight click. The other day I played against a streamer who thought I was "salty" in end game chat, when from my side I wasn't salty at all, I just answered a question he asked and wasn't complaining or being negative in the slightest. I've also had killers see me teabag another survivor and get mad that I BMed them, when I didn't even realise they were there.

    I've also had killers get annoyed at survivors dropping items before they leave, when I always considered that a sign of sportsmanship. Unfortunately, what's considered sportsmanlike and what's considered BM differs from person to person.

  • It goes both ways unfortunately.

    Last night for instance, I went out of my way to heal a downed Meg (on death hook, in front of the killer) who unhooked me earlier and jumped behind her when the tier 3 Michael we were going against went to down her again. He left to catch up with her and sacrified everyone, but spared me. I gave him my medkit, we farmed points for a bit, and he opened the gate for me. They were console so there was no communication, but we were able to tell each other through gameplay that we respected each other's actions.

    Sadly, the match right after that was a basement camping Insidious Doctor with NOED. All matches the two days prior were camping matches too.

    There are players out there who just want to have fun and don't BM (unless you've really done something to mess with them), but you're more likely to encounter newer players that have started off learning bad habits, tilted players that have every excuse in the book for maintaining said bad habits, or really aggressive players that take the game way too seriously and do things to end gameplay quickly.