Please check how SBMM algorithm handles facecamping

Ever since SBMM got turned on, it seems like the number of facecampers jumped up at least five times what it was before. I'm not sure if someone meant to divide when they multiplied handling ranking points around facecamping, but it seems almost like it's being rewarded instead of penalized. Even when I'm not the one being facecamped, if the uncamped members of the team does the optimal thing by genrushing and then escaping, we get no altruism or chase points as a result and it's probably killing our SBMM ratings as well.

Comments

  • Here's the problem and why I have even more dislike towards MMR.

    So let's imagine the two different scenarios when it comes to face camping killers:

    Camping kills count towards MMR:

    1. This will mean more face camping killers get higher MMR ratings
    2. This then gives them tougher survivors
    3. This will force them to face camp even more

    Camping kills get penalised and lower MMR:

    1. Killers who actually face camp will get paired with worse survivors, making easier to beat them
    2. Killers will exploit this to be able to derank, while also beating teams
    3. Good killers are potentially forced to proxy camp and their MMR rating drops
    4. Que times for high MMR players increases
    5. More likely to get sweaty killers who never need to camp

    Think the system is completely busted regardless.

  • @CashelP14 said:

    Here's the problem and why I have even more dislike towards MMR.

    So let's imagine the two different scenarios when it comes to face camping killers:

    Camping kills count towards MMR:

    1. This will mean more face camping killers get higher MMR ratings
    2. This then gives them tougher survivors
    3. This will force them to face camp even more

    Camping kills get penalised and lower MMR:

    1. Killers who actually face camp will get paired with worse survivors, making easier to beat them
    2. Killers will exploit this to be able to derank, while also beating teams
    3. Good killers are potentially forced to proxy camp and their MMR rating drops
    4. Que times for high MMR players increases
    5. More likely to get sweaty killers who never need to camp

    Think the system is completely busted regardless.

    I think it should actually "Reward" and give them higher MMR. Better teams can handle it and that killer will be lucky, if he gets one kill per game.

    If you give lower MMR for it, then it will work for them even more and they will not have reason to change it.

  • @CashelP14 said:

    Here's the problem and why I have even more dislike towards MMR.

    So let's imagine the two different scenarios when it comes to face camping killers:

    Camping kills count towards MMR:

    1. This will mean more face camping killers get higher MMR ratings
    2. This then gives them tougher survivors
    3. This will force them to face camp even more

    Camping kills get penalised and lower MMR:

    1. Killers who actually face camp will get paired with worse survivors, making easier to beat them
    2. Killers will exploit this to be able to derank, while also beating teams
    3. Good killers are potentially forced to proxy camp and their MMR rating drops
    4. Que times for high MMR players increases
    5. More likely to get sweaty killers who never need to camp

    Think the system is completely busted regardless.

    I'm a killer main and I prefer your first choice to increase the score. This will punish campers but the system would have to detect there were no survivors nearby. If I see scratch marks when I turn around and search around the hook for the survivor who left them then we should not be punished for it, even more so we are being looped close to the hooked survivor. If we know a survivor is nearby then we would be a fool not to look for them and walk away. That's like a survivor seeing 2 gens, one 90% complete and one not started and ignoring the 90% one lol.

    Maybe the score does not increase if a survivor is in a 8-12 meter radius from the killer and hook.

  • @CashelP14 said:

    Here's the problem and why I have even more dislike towards MMR.

    So let's imagine the two different scenarios when it comes to face camping killers:

    Camping kills count towards MMR:

    1. This will mean more face camping killers get higher MMR ratings
    2. This then gives them tougher survivors
    3. This will force them to face camp even more

    Camping kills get penalised and lower MMR:

    1. Killers who actually face camp will get paired with worse survivors, making easier to beat them
    2. Killers will exploit this to be able to derank, while also beating teams
    3. Good killers are potentially forced to proxy camp and their MMR rating drops
    4. Que times for high MMR players increases
    5. More likely to get sweaty killers who never need to camp

    Think the system is completely busted regardless.

    It's almost like camping breaks the game on a fundamental level and poses a serious problem on every single step of development.

  • @Purgatorian said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2430659#Comment_2430659

    I'm a killer main and I prefer your first choice to increase the score. This will punish campers but the system would have to detect there were no survivors nearby. If I see scratch marks when I turn around and search around the hook for the survivor who left them then we should not be punished for it, even more so we are being looped close to the hooked survivor. If we know a survivor is nearby then we would be a fool not to look for them and walk away. That's like a survivor seeing 2 gens, one 90% complete and one not started and ignoring the 90% one lol.

    Maybe the score does not increase if a survivor is in a 8-12 meter radius from the killer and hook.

    There's the problem with the system. What counts as face camping and what doesn't? To me neither option feels great but they are the only two if MMR is added.

    Your within your right to camp a hook if you think someone is near it. I don't want the MMR to punish someone for doing the smart thing.

    High MMR games will basically be filled with face campers though. MMR just can't account for every scenario in this game.

  • If the rewards for facecamping under MMR are similar to how they are without MMR then I think it is fine, as facecamping doesn't reward the killer very well. I think it is more of a problem how it affects the survivor who is facecamped, as they always depip.

  • @JawsIsTheNextKiller said:

    If the rewards for facecamping under MMR are similar to how they are without MMR then I think it is fine, as facecamping doesn't reward the killer very well. I think it is more of a problem how it affects the survivor who is facecamped, as they always depip.

    I think whole emblem system needs lot of changes for survivors. It has clear rules for killer and you always have chance to do it, but that is not same for survivors.

    When killer gets only 2-3 hooks in game, you will often depip in red ranks.

    If you were chased whole game, you will depip in red ranks (no gens, no unhooks).

    When killer camps you, you will depip probably everywhere.

    I don't understand how they can punish you that you don't have something, where you didn't even have option to get it.


    Easy rules:

    If other survivor DC in first 2 minutes, you can't lose a pip.

    If there are less than 3 hooks, you can't lose a pip.

    If your play time (not on hook) is less than 2 minutes, you can't lose a pip.

    If you were chased for majority (over 40%) of the game, you can't lose a pip.

  • @Dino7281 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2432839#Comment_2432839

    I think whole emblem system needs lot of changes for survivors. It has clear rules for killer and you always have chance to do it, but that is not same for survivors.

    When killer gets only 2-3 hooks in game, you will often depip in red ranks.

    If you were chased whole game, you will depip in red ranks (no gens, no unhooks).

    When killer camps you, you will depip probably everywhere.

    I don't understand how they can punish you that you don't have something, where you didn't even have option to get it.

    Easy rules:

    If other survivor DC in first 2 minutes, you can't lose a pip.

    If there are less than 3 hooks, you can't lose a pip.

    If your play time (not on hook) is less than 2 minutes, you can't lose a pip.

    If you were chased for majority of the game, you can't lose a pip.

    Yes I agree. I really hope that if you are the survivor that wins the game by running the killer around for 4 or 5 gens then that should be the SBMM equivalent to a double-pip. To be punished for it makes no sense.

  • Yep, probably still want to revisit this, as it's been facecamp and tunnel city for me while playing survivor since SBMM has gone live.

  • Doubt it matters how the killer eliminates survivors, just the number of deaths achieved and maybe hooks.

    Whether the killer goes up or down in sbmm seems completely reliant on how the remaining survivors respond to the situation of camping. Either the killer gets scored for a single chase and kill or survivors feed into the tactic granting additional deaths.

  • Even more facecamping tonight, but a bright side in that I got the "pass 12 skill checks while in the killer's terror radius" archive challenge super easy since it counts hook struggle state skill checks when you're getting facecamped.

  • A dev confirmed recently that the first iteration of mmr only considered kills and escapes. I very much doubt it's evolved much further beyond that.

  • Reminder to fix this because I've gone up against 5 facecamping killers in a row and it's getting really goddamn old really fast.

  • The system shouldn't consider facecamping at all. If the system accounts for facecamping, it might break if and when facecamping is actually addressed- because it'll still be a problem that needs fixing at the end of the day.

    It's a problem itself, not because of how it interacts with the MMR system, and that system shouldn't be built around the game's problems- it should just be built and the problems should be dealt with on their own merits.